News Presentation Copycatting

Well i am going to start talk about News Presentation Plagiarism Well Im going to start up

With Taiwan

FTV Evening news old Intro Is Basically A Copy Of The 1996 ABC World News Tonight Intro www.youtube.com 
[-] The following 1 user Likes NB Guy's post:
  • TVHead

www.youtube.com 

www.youtube.com 
[-] The following 1 user Likes Humphrey Hacker's post:
  • chrisherald

(08-05-2023, 07:27 PM)Humphrey Hacker Wrote:  www.youtube.com 
The BR music was apparently composed by the same company who did Hart van Nederland, so if anything that is a case of a composer ripping off their own work!

(08-05-2023, 08:50 PM)Kojak Wrote:  
(08-05-2023, 07:27 PM)Humphrey Hacker Wrote:  www.youtube.com 
The BR music was apparently composed by the same company who did Hart van Nederland, so if anything that is a case of a composer ripping off their own work!

Similar to how when you have heard a lot of a composers work in particular. You tend to think that they have a 'basic' toolbox of sounds and styles and then adjust where needed. I'd hate to put them in as a case in point but Dave Hewson & Bill Baylis come to mind. Their non ITV News work either on their own or together seems to riff the modern version of the ITV News theme and its multitudinous variations.

P.S. Good to see that the News Presentation Knock Offs Thread from the Blue & Purple Places has a new home.
[-] The following 2 users Like AaronLancs's post:
  • bkman1990, Kojak

(08-05-2023, 08:50 PM)Kojak Wrote:  The BR music was apparently composed by the same company who did Hart van Nederland, so if anything that is a case of a composer ripping off their own work!
I think it's one of the reasons that we have to be careful necessarily calling 'plagiarism'. While there are some cases where somebody has clearly just ripped something off, it can often be more of a grey area - there are a lot of 'homages' and deliberate similarities in news presentation because a) certain composers, designers or design houses have certain 'styles' that they personally prefer or work to; b) it is not uncommon for broadcasters to explicitly commission things to be e.g. BBC-esque; and c) there are even some occasions where broadcasters in other countries do co-operate with each other ahead of rebrands.
[-] The following 2 users Like DTV's post:
  • AaronLancs, bkman1990

(08-05-2023, 09:23 PM)DTV Wrote:  
(08-05-2023, 08:50 PM)Kojak Wrote:  The BR music was apparently composed by the same company who did Hart van Nederland, so if anything that is a case of a composer ripping off their own work!
I think it's one of the reasons that we have to be careful necessarily calling 'plagiarism'. While there are some cases where somebody has clearly just ripped something off, it can often be more of a grey area - there are a lot of 'homages' and deliberate similarities in news presentation because a) certain composers, designers or design houses have certain 'styles' that they personally prefer or work to; b) it is not uncommon for broadcasters to explicitly commission things to be e.g. BBC-esque; and c) there are even some occasions where broadcasters in other countries do co-operate with each other ahead of rebrands.
Yes, I completely agree. For what it's worth, the composers of the German and Dutch themes above are a very big deal in TV music. Martijn Schimmer and his production company have written music for pretty much every Dutch TV channel and - most notably -  the themes to the various versions of The Voice. So they are probably the least likely to rip anyone else off (not that anyone is suggesting they did in the first place!).

(08-05-2023, 09:23 PM)DTV Wrote:  

Another case in point with this is Jim Mann / Lightwell Visualisation. Since 2008 with the background for BBC News with the video backgrounds for N6 / TC7 and then around 2013 with the ITV News backgrounds. Various broadcasters around the world have used him for their set extensions. With the various colour palettes that there are several have riffed others unintentionally.

A good example of work 'overlapping' for want of a better word is TV4 Nyheterna in Sweden. When that was unveiled and previewed a lot of people mentioned of the heavy BBC influence. Not only with the background that was expertly created but also with the physical studio as well. Done by Jago Design I believe, the same ones who did the BBC News 2013 'studio design' template which had only just been launched with the recent move from TVC to NBH.

Here is a picture of said studio:
[Image: JAGO-DESIGN_TV-SET-DESIGN_NEWS-STUDIO_TV...EDEN-1.jpg]
(Image Source: Jago Design - Archive (jagodesign.co.uk ))

Plus looking at the archive there are a lot more possibilities with this sort of thing.
[-] The following 2 users Like AaronLancs's post:
  • chrisherald, UTVLifer

The legendary plagiarism of C5N (an Argentinian News Channel) with CNN do deserves an spot in this thread

A regional news channel that Scripps runs in Florida clearly copied the France 3 JT opens.

www.youtube.com 

www.youtube.com 
[-] The following 1 user Likes Charles's post:
  • Morganeko

I remember in 2008/9ish I made some mocks for some news programme and posted on TVF then a year or so later I found them on YouTube. Some Arab news outlet flogged my designs and were using them. Really wish I could find them.