BAFTA TV awards

Watching the BAFTA TV awards I couldn't help wondering what was the point of the backstage interviews? It seemed like a pointless addition/gimmick to the main show. It didn't help that Amelia Dimoldenberg didn't have a mic on herself, meaning at times she couldn't be heard asking questions. This might have possibly worked better as an accompanying BBC Three show afterwards.

It was interesting to note that the 'shown earlier' awards were split into two sections and shown during the programme, rather than all at the end. I get the feeling that more awards were put into that section. In return we got backstage interviews and a stretched out piece before Lewis Capaldi's performance.

Formerly 'Charlie Wells' of TV Forum.

(14-05-2023, 09:48 PM)Keith Wrote:  Watching the BAFTA TV awards I couldn't help wondering what was the point of the backstage interviews? It seemed like a pointless addition/gimmick to the main show. It didn't help that Amelia Dimoldenberg didn't have a mic on herself, meaning at times she couldn't be heard asking questions. This might have possibly worked better as an accompanying BBC Three show afterwards.

It was interesting to note that the 'shown earlier' awards were split into two sections and shown during the programme, rather than all at the end. I get the feeling that more awards were put into that section. In return we got backstage interviews and a stretched out piece before Lewis Capaldi's performance.

For some of the winners, it just felt like a bit of extra time on top of their on-stage speech. It didn't help that the show was littered with obvious edits, so some speeches were noticeably curtailed too.

Seeing the rather disinterested audience shots during the introductory act was quite funny though.

BBC quite rightly getting flack for Derry Girls getting two awards then the BBC cutting one of the speeches which called on the politicians of Dublin, Westminster and Stormont to get their sh*t together.

twitter.com 
[-] The following 1 user Likes Brekkie's post:
  • DeMarkay

I don't know if it's just her "style" but Amelia Dimoldenberg didn't look comfortable at all, in my opinion. I spotted this when she was on Taskmaster but I assumed she was just nervous because of the nature of the show, but whatever it is, it seems to be more than that.

(15-05-2023, 06:59 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  BBC quite rightly getting flack for Derry Girls getting two awards then the BBC cutting one of the speeches which called on the politicians of Dublin, Westminster and Stormont to get their sh*t together.

twitter.com 

Surely an award ceremony is not the place for politics? It would have been cut or edited for swearing either way.

(15-05-2023, 07:35 PM)Larry the Loafer Wrote:  I don't know if it's just her "style" but Amelia Dimoldenberg didn't look comfortable at all, in my opinion. I spotted this when she was on Taskmaster but I assumed she was just nervous because of the nature of the show, but whatever it is, it seems to be more than that.

She’s always awkward, that’s her style.
[-] The following 1 user Likes DeMarkay's post:
  • Gary Baldy

(15-05-2023, 07:54 PM)XIII Wrote:  
(15-05-2023, 06:59 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  BBC quite rightly getting flack for Derry Girls getting two awards then the BBC cutting one of the speeches which called on the politicians of Dublin, Westminster and Stormont to get their sh*t together.

twitter.com 

Surely an award ceremony is not the place for politics? It would have been cut or edited for swearing either way.

An award ceremony is frequently the place for politics, none more so off the back of a show that covers those politics winning the award.

The point is the BBC should not be deciding what "politics" makes it to air.   Her statement on the matter was completely neutral - she called out all sides, not one, and all respectfully too.

(15-05-2023, 07:58 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  
(15-05-2023, 07:54 PM)XIII Wrote:  Surely an award ceremony is not the place for politics? It would have been cut or edited for swearing either way.

An award ceremony is frequently the place for politics, none more so off the back of a show that covers those politics winning the award.

The point is the BBC should not be deciding what "politics" makes it to air.   Her statement on the matter was completely neutral - she called out all sides, not one, and all respectfully too.

Did the BBC though? It's an independent production (Spun Gold)

(15-05-2023, 07:54 PM)DeMarkay Wrote:  
(15-05-2023, 07:35 PM)Larry the Loafer Wrote:  I don't know if it's just her "style" but Amelia Dimoldenberg didn't look comfortable at all, in my opinion. I spotted this when she was on Taskmaster but I assumed she was just nervous because of the nature of the show, but whatever it is, it seems to be more than that.

She’s always awkward, that’s her style.

Yes, the awkwardness seems to be part of her shtick- I find it oddly endearing.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Gary Baldy's post:
  • DeMarkay

Lorraine is getting a BAFTA Special Award

x.com