BBC, ITV, C4 and C5 to launch joint streaming service

(10-02-2024, 01:06 PM)Dan Wrote:  I'd imagine if they were to eventually launch on streaming devices, Apple TV would likely be the main one of interest. In the same way Sky have made Sky Go available on the ATV, its closed platform would mean its way more difficult for anyone to read the app's code and extract the streaming URLs. Any Android TV based platform would be unappealing. If Amazon are really moving away from FireOS on their future firesticks to VegaOS, maybe this will make them more confident in making the app available on those devices.
I don't think that's the issue to be honest - if they wanted to make an IPTV app then there are ways of dumping apps and extracting the assets, how useful they are depends on if the streams are encrypted at source (not clear on that yet).

I think Everyone TV are trying to create their own ecosystem which rivals Apple TV, Google TV, Fire TV etc tho - where app developers pay them for carriage and manufacturers pay them for licensing. Creating an app which exists inside other ecosystems would undermine that, potentially.

For clarity I don't think this is 'the right strategy' but it's essentially the model Everyone TV and Freeview have used for 20 years at this point. I'd prefer for an open IPTV standard to be created (ala DVB-T[2] in the case of Freeview [HD]) and then Freely attached as an EPG to that.

[Image: signature.jpg]
chatps.com
[-] The following 1 user Likes WillPS's post:
  • ASnep

(10-02-2024, 01:06 PM)Dan Wrote:  I'd imagine if they were to eventually launch on streaming devices, Apple TV would likely be the main one of interest. In the same way Sky have made Sky Go available on the ATV, its closed platform would mean its way more difficult for anyone to read the app's code and extract the streaming URLs. Any Android TV based platform would be unappealing. If Amazon are really moving away from FireOS on their future firesticks to VegaOS, maybe this will make them more confident in making the app available on those devices.

You don't need to extract the apps for the URLs. All you need to do is install a new Root Certificate on the Apple TV, which is officially supported by Apple for development purposes. You then can pull the URLs from a packet capture.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ASnep's post:
  • chrisherald