Disney+

In Latin America, Disney shut down Disney XD, Nat Geo Kids, National Geographic Wild, Star Life (formerly Fox Life, replaced with Cinecanal in Brazil - the channel already existed in Spanish-speaking LATAM), FXM (for "FX Movies", which was never available in Brazil), the Star Premium (formerly Fox Premium) suite (effectively replaced with streaming service Star+, more on it later) and the Brazilian feed of Disney Junior, but kept Disney Channel, Disney Junior (in Spanish-speaking LATAM; in Brazil, the brand survives as a morning block on Disney Channel), Star Channel (formerly Fox Channel), FX, National Geographic, Cinecanal (a showcase channel for the Star+ film library) and the ESPN family of networks.

Here, Disney has two streaming services: Disney+ (with a library similar to the US version of the service, minus most seasons of The Simpsons - they do have S29, S30, the movie and the shorts) and Star+ (which serves as the home of content that is found on Hulu in the US and on the D+ Star hub elsewhere, plus all seasons of The Simpsons - as well as the movie and the shorts - and ESPN sports broadcasts, including streaming-exclusive events).
[-] The following 1 user Likes ArthurVX's post:
  • Medianext.MX

Are they still commissioning as much new kids content?

I would assume yes - they haven't closed the channels in the US, so there's no reason to cut back.

(29-05-2023, 07:33 PM)JAS84 Wrote:  I would assume yes - they haven't closed the channels in the US, so there's no reason to cut back.

The direction of travel is pretty clear. I would suggest the remaining channels are probably there to service existing long term carriage deals, and that any 'new' content was commissioned primarily for Disney+ at this point.

[Image: signature.jpg]
chatps.com

IIRC Disney Channel makes all its own stuff anyway (or a good chunk of it at least) for the channel so it doesn't really matter whether it ends up on the channel or Disney+, as Disney have paid for it one way or another and own all the rights and what not to that content. Indeed there's a " Disney Channel favourites" section on Disney+, which I've just had a quick shufty on and there's a 2022 show on that strand - interesting how it can be a "Disney Channel Favourite" when Disney Channel UK closed in 2020 but whatever...

(29-05-2023, 10:53 PM)Neil Jones Wrote:  IIRC Disney Channel makes all its own stuff anyway (or a good chunk of it at least) for the channel so it doesn't really matter whether it ends up on the channel or Disney+, as Disney have paid for it one way or another and own all the rights and what not to that content.  Indeed there's a " Disney Channel favourites" section on Disney+, which I've just had a quick shufty on and there's a 2022 show on that strand - interesting how it can be a "Disney Channel Favourite"  when Disney Channel UK closed in 2020 but whatever...

Same way BBC Three had content without having a linear outlet. Disney won't throw the brand away when it still has caché, even if it doesn't make much sense in a literal sense any more.

[Image: signature.jpg]
chatps.com
[-] The following 1 user Likes WillPS's post:
  • chrisdafur

I, like the entire country I'm sure, have been watching Home Improvement since its long awaited debut on Disney+ and it looks a lot smoother... almost as if they've actually uploaded it (or whatever the correct term is) in 50/60fps. Is it just my imagination, or are the streamers actually finally considering frame rate of their deinterlaced content?

I've just looked myself and it still look filmised, unfortunately.

Though as it was made in 60i, it would be filmised to 30p which is smoother than the 24 or 25p we're more used to, which might be what you notice.

The sooner the streamers can give us proper 50/60p, the better. It's increasingly ridiculous that the BBC have been doing for years what the supposed streaming big boys seemingly can't. They keep promoting how they can deliver UHD, HDR, 5.1, Atmos etc, but they can't handle 50/60Hz content properly, even in SD. Delivering content in the proper frame rate should be seen as just as important as resolution and audio.
[-] The following 3 users Like James2001's post:
  • AndrewP, IanJRedman, Ma76

Strange. It could be the smoothing on my TV but it still looks considerably smoother than anything else that's supposed to look smooth.

Should've mentioned that I've checked on my phone and tablet too and it's still very much filmised on mobile platforms.

I'll have a look on TV later, I've only looked on my browser so far.

Edit, yep, just looked on my TV and it's definitely still filmised.