C4 Programme Commissioning Woes

C4 have very abruptly cancelled their reboot of Four Weddings about 2 weeks before it was due to shoot leaving its production team out of work. I've heard a few other bits and pieces including a missed payment for a show recently. Unclear if it's very savage cost-cutting or wider financial issues - failing to pay companies certainly suggests the latter.

deadline.com 

They pretty much have frozen all commissioning too - things aren't looking as rosy as a year ago but been the same for ITV too in regards to declining ad revenue. This is why I think the idea of increasing ads is a non-starter - the budgets aren't there from the advertisers to increase spending.

Hopefully it doesn't lead to it's sale being put back on the table under the logic it needs private investment to survive.

FWIW thought this was a lazy format to reboot, even if it was Living ripping off a format familiar to C4's shows of the times - essentially Come Marry with Me. Not sure if it was destined for prinetime once a week or bring stripped across the week Four in a Bed style.

Channel 4 seems to bring out the begging bowl in one hand but yet use the other hand to spend loads on football and Bake Off.
[-] The following 1 user Likes XIII's post:
  • cando

(26-05-2023, 04:10 PM)XIII Wrote:  Channel 4 seems to bring out the begging bowl in one hand but yet use the other hand to spend loads on football and Bake Off.
And of course if those programmes are profitable, it’s the right thing to do.
[-] The following 3 users Like Jon's post:
  • Brekkie, Ma76, orange

(26-05-2023, 04:10 PM)XIII Wrote:  Channel 4 seems to bring out the begging bowl in one hand but yet use the other hand to spend loads on football and Bake Off.
It's called investment.

Yeah, the profits all go back into edgy, risky altogether different reboots of 90's hits like TFI Friday, Crystal Maze, The BIG Breakfast and Changing Rooms.

Arguably the profitable populist side of the channel that funded the PSB side of things was somewhat neglected in the years after they axed Big Brother. It has swung the other way now but they are far to reliant on repeats of Gogglebox (which probably take up more hours across the year than Big Brother did) and can't see that changing.

Isn't there a new BBC competition format about weddings? Just the same unimaginative stuff then.

(26-05-2023, 05:23 PM)Kim Wexler’s Ponytail Wrote:  Yeah, the profits all go back into edgy, risky altogether different reboots of 90's hits like TFI Friday, Crystal Maze, The BIG Breakfast and Changing Rooms.

I mean TBF they haven’t made any TFI since 2015, or any Crystal Maze since 2020.

(26-05-2023, 04:47 PM)Studio7 Wrote:  
It's called investment.

(26-05-2023, 07:22 PM)madmusician Wrote:  
(26-05-2023, 05:23 PM)Kim Wexler’s Ponytail Wrote:  Yeah, the profits all go back into edgy, risky altogether different reboots of 90's hits like TFI Friday, Crystal Maze, The BIG Breakfast and Changing Rooms.

I mean TBF they haven’t made any TFI since 2015, or any Crystal Maze since 2020.

Yeah, because they were lazy nostalgia trips that people lost interest in.