C4 Programme Commissioning Woes

Wonder if self contained episodes or the 4 weddings across the week. Also what's happening with those weddings - were production contributing to them?

(28-05-2023, 04:37 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  Wonder if self contained episodes or the 4 weddings across the week. Also what's happening with those weddings - were production contributing to them?
AFAIK it was 4 weddings across the week, no idea about the costs

(27-05-2023, 07:17 PM)Kim Wexler’s Ponytail Wrote:  There's nothing "ambitious" about knocking out watered down versions of shows from 30yrs ago. Late Night Lycett feels like the natural modern day successor to TFI Friday. Maybe we would have gotten it, or something similar, sooner had they not gone for a bit of click bait nostalgia first?

Again, it’s easy to forget that the TFI reboot happened 8 years ago. It was done, finished, over before 2015 was out. I don’t think you can excuse the lack of commissioning of a ‘successor’ over the last five years because of one run of something eight years ago.

Isn’t it more accurate to state that they were happy with The Last Leg as their ‘edgy’ late-night comedy, current affairs, satire thing, and that’s gradually become a bit more tired and they are now looking for something to have on with it?
[-] The following 1 user Likes madmusician's post:
  • Studio7

(28-05-2023, 11:57 AM)XIII Wrote:  Channel 4 could do more drama if they wanted to, Channel 5 has managed it even if it of varying quality.

Both have different priorities which makes a difference. Also, C5 aren't bothered with shiny floor and reality nonsense.

(28-05-2023, 10:45 PM)tellyblues Wrote:  Both have different priorities which makes a difference. Also, C5 aren't bothered with shiny floor and reality nonsense.
You say that, but I’ve heard they’ve just commissioned a show called Britain’s Best Floor Polisher.
[-] The following 2 users Like Jon's post:
  • Studio7, Will

Surely the programme name in the title of this thread should be "Four Weddings" (i.e. the 2nd word having an "s" at the end. To make it plural. In light of the fact that Four is a plural number)...

(26-05-2023, 04:10 PM)XIII Wrote:  Channel 4 seems to bring out the begging bowl in one hand but yet use the other hand to spend loads on football and Bake Off.
deadline.com 

Sport spending being blamed as one of their problems. There is zero chance that the England contract is making money.
[-] The following 2 users Like cando's post:
  • Happy2001, UTVLifer

I think it's more bad management than that. The England games weren't the competitive tender process they once were with Sky passing on them and ITV seemingly not being too agressive in retaining them (perhaps as you say not making money on them). C4's football ratings have generally been pretty decent though, even compared to ITV - though they've had some big match ups in the Nations League so far which won't be the case in the qualifiers when they start.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Brekkie's post:
  • Happy2001

I did think at the time England games was a way of endearing Channel 4 of offering public service at the time there was talk of the government privatising the channel. The same with some the events they’ve sub-licensed off other broadcasters.

I guess it’ll also help Channel 4 when they start to make some of their own programmes too.

I know they had been comments that Katz and Mahon weren’t particularly liked but this article kind of confirms it