BT Sport

twitter.com 

And one final update from Gavin before they turn out the lights:

twitter.com 

Performing arts and media school LMA, who already have a base next door, are taking on the studio space for teaching purposes - but the planning application mentions that they intend to hire it out to third parties during their downtime, so it may yet appear on telly again. As you can see from the above video though, there's a lot of reconfiguration required before anyone's getting a signal out of there.

[-] The following 1 user Likes thegeek's post:
  • RhysJR

I'm surprised this question has only just come to me after 10 years, but was the tower in Studio 1 purely decorative, or did it have any practical purpose? In the same vain was it a permanent feature?

[Image: be11b8591cf5e909bd9ddfd0f18ab7c3]

The hub was purely decorative. In the first season it had some PCs around the base, which were occasionally used for researchers and a social media chap who would sometimes feature in programmes, but that went away pretty quickly.

It was pretty permanent too: removing it took about three days, some heavy duty lifting equipment, and some metal cutters - and there are still the remnants of the centre post embedded in the concrete floor.

Fun fact: the metal grid (which was largely covered up by lightboxes in recent years - you can also see it in the gaps between the banner screens in the picture above) was in the same net pattern as appeared on all the on-screen graphics in the first season - for example in the background of the countdown to launch:
www.youtube.com 

I always quite liked that joined up bit of design, and how the physical aspects long outlasted its time on screen. A bit like the smoked glass flags in the Stage 6 newsroom at TV Centre which lasted right until the end.

(I know I posted this video a couple of months ago, but as it's ten years ago today I'm getting a little nostalgic.)
[-] The following 2 users Like thegeek's post:
  • News Engineer, RhysJR

(31-07-2023, 04:59 PM)thegeek Wrote:  And one final update from Gavin before they turn out the lights:

twitter.com 

Performing arts and media school LMA, who already have a base next door, are taking on the studio space for teaching purposes - but the planning application mentions that they intend to hire it out to third parties during their downtime, so it may yet appear on telly again. As you can see from the above video though, there's a lot of reconfiguration required before anyone's getting a signal out of there.
I saw a post yesterday about it being the last day Timeline are there. I'm surprised they haven't had to get rid of all the bays and cabling before handing the building over/back? 

Very sad seeing a CTA like that - all cable, no equipment but at least it doesn't look like they've done what I've seen some places do and just chop the wiring

I suppose it could be negotiated with the building owner, if there's any aspiration to turn it back into some sort of production facility then it seems negligent to remove it - especially as it's not just the racks and cables but the fire suppression, AC and the raised floor too. Won't hurt to leave it in place.

I know it's not really a telco building but there is previous there - not uncommon to just switch off and isolate disused equipment (where the value was less than the cost of removal/auction/scrap), no point removing unless the space is needed.

(01-08-2023, 09:11 AM)i.h Wrote:  I suppose it could be negotiated with the building owner, if there's any aspiration to turn it back into some sort of production facility then it seems negligent to remove it - especially as it's not just the racks and cables but the fire suppression, AC and the raised floor too. Won't hurt to leave it in place.

I know it's not really a telco building but there is previous there - not uncommon to just switch off and isolate disused equipment (where the value was less than the cost of removal/auction/scrap), no point removing unless the space is needed.
All the cabling and fibre left behind is no good to anyone. Even if they had the records of what goes where the chances of a future occupant being able to reuse it is very small.

(01-08-2023, 01:31 PM)Stooky Bill Wrote:  All the cabling and fibre left behind is no good to anyone. Even if they had the records of what goes where the chances of a future occupant being able to reuse it is very small.

Not sure about that - this is (was) a relatively modern facility after all, and with the convergence of broadcast and IP it's less likely to be stuffed full of weird non-standard stuff that has no other purpose. e.g. the fibre patch panels with the aqua fibres are literally no different to what you'd see in a data centre.

I'm not saying it's likely, but I'd also refute the idea that it is "very small" - no point spending thousands on new cabling if there's already something that goes where you want it to.

(01-08-2023, 01:41 PM)i.h Wrote:  Not sure about that - this is (was) a relatively modern facility after all, and with the convergence of broadcast and IP it's less likely to be stuffed full of weird non-standard stuff that has no other purpose. e.g. the fibre patch panels with the aqua fibres are literally no different to what you'd see in a data centre.

I'm not saying it's likely, but I'd also refute the idea that it is "very small" - no point spending thousands on new cabling if there's already something that goes where you want it to.
That's true but the chance of them wanting 200 SDI coax cables going from where their router was to where the individual pieces of equipment once were isn't going to happen. It'll be a combination of coax, fibre and network cabling, for now at least it's very 

When these place are fitted out the cabling is put in specifically for the equipment that's in bays. It's done as the fit out happens, they don't just hope that the bunch of BNC connectors  lying on the floor will do.

Flood wired patch panels between different sides of the room/locations in the building are useful. The fibre from that patch panel to the now removed device isn't