BBC Breakfast/BBC News at One Extension?

I don't think the local news needs to be any longer than 10-15 minutes at lunchtime. Indeed that's almost a better bulletin than the full half hour evening edition to get your local news fix - the rest is arguably more features than news.

Indeed with the national news that's potentially a problem too - a half hour round up with most of the top stories in the first 15 minutes probably fits into many peoples day quite nicely, especially those working from home. Always felt the ITV Lunchtime News was a worse bulletin at an hour than it was at 30 minutes when they expanded in the Theatre of News era.
[-] The following 5 users Like Brekkie's post:
  • bkman1990, Quantum+83, Rijowhi, Superman1986, UTVLifer

An extended Breakfast is a good idea. Take it to 10am and this then pits Morning Live directly against This Morning. ML already gets more viewers, this could push TMs decline .
[-] The following 6 users Like freeview87's post:
  • AndrewP, bkman1990, Quantum+83, Reith85, Rijowhi, TJTSW

(03-06-2023, 09:16 AM)Brekkie Wrote:  I don't think the local news needs to be any longer than 10-15 minutes at lunchtime.  Indeed that's almost a better bulletin than the full half hour evening edition to get your local news fix - the rest is arguably more features than news.

Indeed with the national news that's potentially a problem too - a half hour round up with most of the top stories in the first 15 minutes probably fits into many peoples day quite nicely, especially those working from home.    Always felt the ITV Lunchtime News was a worse bulletin at an hour than it was at 30 minutes when they expanded in the Theatre of News era.

That's an interesting point. Look North (Leeds) does seem to be more magazine-ish than news. Maybe an extended local news bulletin could take the features and leave the main bulletin as news focused.
[-] The following 6 users Like Humphrey Hacker's post:
  • AndrewP, bkman1990, Quantum+83, Superman1986, thePineapple, UTVLifer

(03-06-2023, 10:18 AM)Humphrey Hacker Wrote:  That's an interesting point. Look North (Leeds) does seem to be more magazine-ish than news. Maybe an extended local news bulletin could take the features and leave the main bulletin as news focused.

Practically though firstly that costs money and requires extra resources, and secondly such features may need the afternoon to prepare them rather than rush them for release in the afternoon.   Ultimately the evening bulletins are very successful so no need to mess with them.
[-] The following 2 users Like Brekkie's post:
  • Quantum+83, Studio7

(02-06-2023, 11:32 AM)XIII Wrote:  I would imagine it would probably be something like this:
0600 Breakfast
0930 Morning Live
1030 Factual
1115 Homes Under the Hammer
1215 Bargain Hunt
1300 News at One
1345 Regional News
1400 Doctors
1430 Factual
1500 onwards same as normal
Having the regional news at 1345 would send regional early presenter/producers and regional breakfast crews over shift time. I suspect it would be incorporated into the One hour at usual time. 
- Also a cheap UK hour produced hour for the News Channel who’ll have the Sport Today in the opt slot.
[-] The following 9 users Like JexedBack's post:
  • AndrewP, bkman1990, Michael 18, Pips2022, Quantum+83, Studio7, TVenthusiasm, UTVLifer, watchingtv

(03-06-2023, 05:51 PM)JexedBack Wrote:  Having the regional news at 1345 would send regional early presenter/producers and regional breakfast crews over shift time. I suspect it would be incorporated into the One hour at usual time. 
- Also a cheap UK hour produced hour for the News Channel who’ll have the Sport Today in the opt slot.

I suppose the Breakfast regional opts could start  a little later.
[-] The following 6 users Like chris's post:
  • AndrewP, bkman1990, Brekkie, Quantum+83, Superman1986, UTVLifer

chris Wrote:I suppose the Breakfast regional opts could start  a little later.

Cutting the earliest regional bulletins is exactly the sort of thing I could see them doing

It would be a shame of all the morning programmes that currently air at 10:00/10:45 are all axed. I’m not sure I could see them airing in the afternoon. Many of them like Rip Off Britain are popular. I could seem them moving them to peak time

Extending Breakfast would compensate domestic viewers to BBC News (and BBC Two) who have to tolerate a 5 Live phone in until 11am, but I'd be weary about moving Morning Live as BBC One have finally found a format they can stick on all year round bar the Rip-Off Britain specials in the 9.15 slot.

If in the unlikely event ITV quit mid-morning live daytime tv, Morning Live would be a shoe-in as a replacement at 10am on BBC One, but I'd never underestimate ITV who pioneered the populist mid-morning slot since 1988 regardless of recent events involving talent.

(03-06-2023, 06:28 PM)chris Wrote:  I suppose the Breakfast regional opts could start  a little later.

I hope they don't do this. For some of us the first regional hit is the only one we ever have a chance of seeing.
[-] The following 8 users Like m_in_m's post:
  • AndrewP, bkman1990, JexedBack, Pompeytv, Quantum+83, Rijowhi, Roger Darthwell, Stuart

(03-06-2023, 09:57 PM)Andrew Wrote:  Cutting the earliest regional bulletins is exactly the sort of thing I could see them doing

It would be a shame of all the morning programmes that currently air at 10:00/10:45 are all axed. I’m not sure I could see them airing in the afternoon. Many of them like Rip Off Britain are popular. I could seem them moving them to peak time

ISTR that Rip Off Britain did have a brief primetime slot
[-] The following 1 user Likes Humphrey Hacker's post:
  • Quantum+83