Will we regret the demise of linear TV channels ?

With linear TV it acts like a launch pad for streaming , such as first episodes screened to draw audience then rest on streaming,
With adverts for shows available in advert breaks while watching other linear TV channel shows.
Publicity like paramount plus are doing on channel 5 with first episode screened then rest on streaming like channel 4 do with Walter presents.

If linear TVs audience continues to decline will all shows just get lost amongst a mass mess of streaming services therefore nothing actually getting ratings or people knowing about it.

There seems so many streaming services now too many and shows so fragmented between them all. 
BBC itv channels 4 and 5 have a better launch pad for streaming as unlike Netflix they have linear TV channels biggest advert of them all to launch shows and advertising shows..

Without linear TV channels ability to have impact and draw attention will the content just be lost , will we regret the demise linear TV channels in an all streaming overcrowded future , how will things stand out ?

(31-07-2022, 05:12 PM)LaDeDa Wrote:  With linear TV it acts like a launch pad for streaming , such as first episodes screened to draw audience then rest on streaming,
With adverts for shows available in advert breaks while watching other linear TV channel shows.
Publicity like paramount plus are doing on channel 5 with first episode screened then rest on streaming like channel 4 do with Walter presents.

If linear TVs audience continues to decline will all shows just get lost amongst a mass mess of streaming services therefore nothing actually getting ratings or people knowing about it.

There seems so many streaming services now too many and shows so fragmented between them all. 
BBC itv channels 4 and 5 have a better launch pad for streaming as unlike Netflix they have linear TV channels biggest advert of them all to launch shows and advertising shows..

Without linear TV channels ability to have impact and draw attention will the content just be lost , will we regret the demise linear TV channels in an all streaming overcrowded future , how will things stand out ?

Hello guys. First post on this new forum.

I think we might. Especially in the UK, where, when it comes to linear TV, is more conservative. Emphasis on "conserve."

We're certainly going to regret unnecessarily rushing it and throwing our PSB's under the bus in the process. All "because Netflix!" Rolleyes
[-] The following 1 user Likes Kim Wexler’s Ponytail's post:
  • Rijowhi

Regret is a funny way of positioning it really.

I have very fond memories of department stores I was visited as a child - most are no longer trading so they are just memories now.

Do I regret that there's no longer a demand for them? Nah, what's the point? They were businesses primarily and public services secondarily.

People, including me, are still buying/consuming broadly the same stuff - they're just not doing it in department stores.

Same applies. March of progress etc.

If I'm completely honest the really interesting era of television ended maybe 20 years ago when most ITV regional identities disappeared.

[Image: signature.jpg]
chatps.com
[-] The following 1 user Likes WillPS's post:
  • Rijowhi

Linear will never go away completely. Live events and news will still require a linear outlet for them, but I still think we'll have linear PSBs for years to come.

Will ratings be so low for main channels that the impact of advertising a streaming show or premier of an episode rest on streaming is so low that it never gets attention on streaming?

Already feels a muddled mess with streaming services there's too many and fragmented content like if you like one show or another cost you to subscribe to both as hit shows scattered all over..

Without bbc one or itv etc etc with big ratings and chance to advertise to millions shows available would the audience still hit the peaks or all be lost low impact as too many streamers on offer and no chance get attention on set shows..

I do believe that we are going to get to the point where the TV channels we have will, eventually, reduce in number. However, I do believe that it is incredibly pessimistic to say that linear television is going to die, and that we will profoundly regret its demise. Simply put, I don't think Linear TV is going to go anywhere, but it is going to change. As mentioned, I think the number of channels will decrease. BBC and ITV will certainly close some of their channels: after all, people want boxsets of old shows nowadays, they're only going to watch repeats if they're on. No one actively searches for a repeat these days.

BBC One, BBC Two, ITV, Channel 4, and Channel 5 will eventually move towards appointment viewing. Television programming that you might not be able to see on streaming either right away, or at all: sports, concerts, movies, events. You may get the premiere of a certain show, then a promo for iPlayer, or ITVX, or All4 that says its all on there.

I can also see streaming services operate hybrid linear programming. Selections from various platforms aired on TV, or on a free-to-air channel with constant ads promoting a service

[Image: blu97.png]
[-] The following 1 user Likes Blubatt's post:
  • Rijowhi

I don't think linear is exactly dead, I just think it's evolving: Paramount+ in America have actually adopted similar services to their counterpart, Pluto TV, which is what they call "Live Channels". If you like Star Trek, there's a whole dedicated channel of it on there. Though I doubt UK viewers will ever get a chance to see these Live Channels, as I assume it is US only at the moment.

Plus, ITVX has obviously made it clear they want to make FAST channels on their service, which'll likely mean we'll see channels curated from a plethora of ITV's main archive and/or programming output. If you want to watch Chall- sorry, I mean Chase 24/7, ITVX will be that service for you I'm imagining.

To say that linear television (in the conventional sense) is dying is clearly a statement that doesn't really make sense. Companies know people will be fond of a curated schedule, so have adapted their services or even invented ones for this purpose entirely. It's an option, not a requirement. Yes, I feel that linear television (offline) will definitely go within the future, as internet becomes more prevalent and more easily accessible, even in a slump town, but linear television (online) is only just growing, meeting consumer needs and ease of access.

Linear TV won't be going anywhere for a while.

Traditional means of broadcasting them (over the air, satellite) may go in favour of IP based streaming, but they'll still be around.

I'd like to think that you'll see fewer channels with better quality, acting as shop windows for streaming services like ITVX etc, but in reality, you'll likely see an explosion of linear style channels as we're seeing with Samsung TV Plus, Pluto, Peacock etc.

Linear TV isn't dead. In the same way radio isn't dead when TV arrived, it evolved.

Linear TV for advertisers is still a well established and proven way to reach a large amount of audiences in one hit, compared to social/digital which is at the mercy of the algorithm and those parent companies who change the rules to suit them. Do I think channel numbers will decline? Yes. Do I want to go back the old days of rushing home to watch a TV show? No.

I do think the focus will be on event TV, the kind of TV shows that can pull audiences from every demo into one room. (I mean look at last night's overnights for the Women's Euro 2022 - 17.6 mill!)
[-] The following 4 users Like dbl's post:
  • Andrew Wood, London Lite, Ma76, Rijowhi