The BBC Chameleon Thread

That doesn't explain how brand new programmes, commissioned since the rebrand, often still have the old logo.
[-] The following 2 users Like Brekkie's post:
  • DeMarkay, interestednovice

(19-04-2024, 10:28 PM)RhysJR Wrote:  I doubt this was deliberate mocking of the BBC's branding strategy on Have I Got News For You, but the original BBC Sounds logo was brought back from the dead tonight (This was on screen during audio of a cock-up on Radio 2).

up.metropol247.co.uk 

It’s worth noting that HIGNFY still uses the 1997 logo on the end cap, but the copyright notice uses Reith.

(20-04-2024, 08:40 AM)Brekkie Wrote:  That doesn't explain how brand new programmes, commissioned since the rebrand, often still have the old logo.

Because the people making shows will make them to the branding guidelines they’re provided with. Which presumably weren’t updated. They won’t just do a Google Image search for the logo, they’ll be sent it.

Many will also presumably just reuse assets they already had unless told to do otherwise. And let’s not forget probably a majority of people won’t even think there’s any difference or who think it doesn’t really matter. Most people are terrible at branding.

Of course the BBC said the logo would be introduced gradually (given its similarity to the old one) but yes, it’s baffling an easy fix like this wasn’t updated.
[-] The following 2 users Like all new phil's post:
  • dbl, RhysJR

(20-04-2024, 08:28 AM)Stuart Wrote:  I think that's a common strategy. When Nationwide recently changed their logo they sent everyone an email and explained they were working through changing signs at individual branches.

However, they said if people were due a new card soon it may have the old logo, as they would use existing stocks first.

Same with coins, notes, stamps etc. with a change of monarch.

I think the Queen died around a year after the new logo was formally introduced, but think it will be a tight (and very long and slow) race to see which update is completed first.

Coins will never be fully replaced. Before decimalisation, it was still possible to use coins featuring almost any of the 20th century monarchs. Especially George V and George VI (not Edward VIII who came between them though, due to his reign not even lasting a year before he abdicated).
[-] The following 2 users Like JAS84's post:
  • AndrewP, interestednovice

Some news here about end boards which will surely means we'll only be seeing the new logo on them at least in the near future. It's in an article about natural programmes, Bristol and the South West but presumably this will be for everything.

Quote:The BBC is also in the process of rebranding its “end cards” to better showcase the locations our programmes are filmed in – including those in Bristol and the West. The redesign includes a map of the whole of the UK with key filming locations highlighted, to better reflect Bristol’s creative contribution, and that of BBC Studios NHU.

www.bbc.co.uk 

So likely not dissimilar to what C4 does which I always find quite interesting and is a nice touch.
[-] The following 2 users Like gottago's post:
  • interestednovice, RhysJR

(Yesterday, 01:32 PM)gottago Wrote:  Some news here about end boards which will surely means we'll only be seeing the new logo on them at least in the near future. It's in an article about natural programmes, Bristol and the South West but presumably this will be for everything.

www.bbc.co.uk 

So likely not dissimilar to what C4 does which I always find quite interesting and is a nice touch.
I suspect using adding a UK map with locations highlighted has some political benefits. It can help dispel the 'London centric' myth, both to ordinary viewers and politicians, and maybe help them to feel more represented. For Channel 4 this was particularly important given the governments then real threat of privatising it.

Formerly 'Charlie Wells' of TV Forum.

Wouldn't be the first time BBC Bristol has tried a similar concept on its end boards.

tvark.org 
[-] The following 3 users Like lookoutwales's post:
  • AndrewP, aquadextrous, interestednovice

(9 hours ago)lookoutwales Wrote:  Wouldn't be the first time BBC Bristol has tried a similar concept on its end boards.

tvark.org 

That’s an odd choice of map used to represent Bristol. It zooms out from near Exeter and looks more focused on Plymouth’s region.