BBC 100th Anniversary

What do you think the BBC will do for their 100th anniversary? I hope they have a throwback day & bring back all their iconic idents!        

(01-08-2022, 09:57 AM)Josh Griffin Wrote:  What do you think the BBC will do for their 100th anniversary? I hope they have a throwback day & bring back all their iconic idents!

If they were to bring back the older idents for 1 day, if that also applied to CBBC, that would've meant the bugs era, the yellow and black era, and the original Children's BBC idents from 1985 would've come back, and if CBBC was also rebranded to the Chameleon branding, I bet the templates would've had the new BBC logo on top, but the old logo symbols, like the purple C on the outlined green bug, at the bottom.
Also, with that bugs era, that would be consistent to CBeebies current identity for 1 day.

(01-08-2022, 11:16 AM)BBCChameleonFan Wrote:  
(01-08-2022, 09:57 AM)Josh Griffin Wrote:  What do you think the BBC will do for their 100th anniversary? I hope they have a throwback day & bring back all their iconic idents!

If they were to bring back the older idents for 1 day, if that also applied to CBBC, that would've meant the bugs era, the yellow and black era, and the original Children's BBC idents from 1985 would've come back, and if CBBC was also rebranded to the Chameleon branding, I bet the templates would've had the new BBC logo on top, but the old logo symbols, like the purple C on the outlined green bug, at the bottom.
Also, with that bugs era, that would be consistent to CBeebies current identity for 1 day.

I agree with you there

I hope the next time the BBC mention Moira Stuart online in press releases re BBC100 or on BBC News online, that they do not incorrectly spell her name as Stewart.  She was at the BBC from 1973-2007, so it's unforgiveable & shoddy journalism/research/proof reading.

It would be fun if they did something along the lines of how ABC News celebrated the ABC in Australia's 90th anniversary last month - do a bulletin with a classic intro, get a nice compilation of how they've covered events, that sort of thing.

I can see this happening on the News Channel if not the main 6/10, and considering they had a nice half hour to look back on News 24's launch back in 2017, I'd bet there'll be something in the works. 

[-] The following 4 users Like Motlash's post:
  • Blubatt, no1fanofthepals, Stuart, TVenthusiasm

If it were me, I'd clear out the schedules and have one day of special programming on BBC One (which I doubt they'd do). I'd have some of these air, a mix of one offs and archive programming:

- Start the day off with Breakfast Time, preceded by either the test card, a mock ceefax page, or an era-appropriate clock with some archive continuity.
- If there is any sports coverage, have Grandstand, or the old Match of the Day intro
- Some old menu slides would be awesome
- Top of the Pops around Tea time
- One of the BBC's many prime time light entertainment shows, at least: Some Morcambe and Wise, some Two Ronnies, Kenny Everett maybe?
- Maybe during news programmes, BBC Two can join in, and have news slots filled with things like The Old Grey Whistle Test, or some vintage top gear.
- Monty Python's Flying Circus after the news
-At least one classic EastEnders episode, as voted by the public. Could be Frank and Pat's Wedding, June Brown's One hander, Den and Angie. One of the iconic ones.
- An early afternoon airing of Last of the Summer Wine or Only Fools and Horses

Something like that...

Addendum: Move the 10 o'clock news to 9 o'clock

[Image: SAD%20BLU2.png]
[-] The following 1 user Likes Blubatt's post:
  • Roger Darthwell

(02-08-2022, 11:14 PM)Blubatt Wrote:  If it were me, I'd clear out the schedules and have one day of special programming on BBC One (which I doubt they'd do). I'd have some of these air, a mix of one offs and archive programming:

- Start the day off with Breakfast Time, preceded by either the test card, a mock ceefax page, or an era-appropriate clock with some archive continuity.
- If there is any sports coverage, have Grandstand, or the old Match of the Day intro
- Some old menu slides would be awesome
- Top of the Pops around Tea time
- One of the BBC's many prime time light entertainment shows, at least: Some Morcambe and Wise, some Two Ronnies, Kenny Everett maybe?
- Maybe during news programmes, BBC Two can join in, and have news slots filled with things like The Old Grey Whistle Test, or some vintage top gear.
- Monty Python's Flying Circus after the news
-At least one classic EastEnders episode, as voted by the public. Could be Frank and Pat's Wedding, June Brown's One hander, Den and Angie. One of the iconic ones.
- An early afternoon airing of Last of the Summer Wine or Only Fools and Horses

Something like that...

Addendum: Move the 10 o'clock news to 9 o'clock

Close down at midnight – no BBC News 24 during the night!

(03-08-2022, 08:10 AM)no1fanofthepals Wrote:  Close down at midnight – no BBC News 24 during the night!

No, not at all. Maybe at 5:58, before Breakfast, the BBC One simulcast opts out a bit early, and do a mock BBC One Startup from that era.

[Image: SAD%20BLU2.png]

Special idents for the centenary? Of course!

Think '100 YEARS OF OUR BBC' sting but longer  Big Grin
[-] The following 6 users Like ScottishTVGuy's post:
  • BBCChameleonFan, cylon6, LemonFresh, Ma76, thomalex, UTVLifer

I really don't think you'll be seeing lots of retro TV idents and presentation next Tuesday, if it was the anniversary of BBC TV then maybe. 

They've a few things planned, but they'll be much more than just a few old idents. I'm particularly looking forward to the Harry and Paul thing myself
[-] The following 1 user Likes Stooky Bill's post:
  • Prj66