Gladiators re-revival

It appears the BBC are close to commissioning a new series to be filmed in Sheffield:
twitter.com 

Hope it sticks closer to the 90s mould than the Sky revival (which took itself way too seriously IMO).

[Image: signature.jpg]
chatps.com
[-] The following 1 user Likes WillPS's post:
  • bilky asko

(01-08-2022, 01:22 PM)WillPS Wrote:  It appears the BBC are close to commissioning a new series to be filmed in Sheffield:
twitter.com 

Hope it sticks closer to the 90s mould than the Sky revival (which took itself way too seriously IMO).
At the very least, you'd expect it to have a similar big event feeling you didn't quite get with the Sky revival.

The fact it's being shot in an arena rather than a TV studio bodes well. I just hope it's not ruined by excessive editing and maintains that "live" feel the original had.
[-] The following 2 users Like Larry the Loafer's post:
  • bilky asko, TJTSW

Just feels dated this kind of show now

will never re capture the impact it had in 90s,
Feels more of a commercial channel show than BBC

Maybe using celebrity focus on contestants would get attention maybe tie in with sports relief events.

Just can't see it fitting well in BBC schedule

The new hosts have been officially announced - Bradley and Barney Walsh.

www.bbc.co.uk 

Not at all what I would've expected but I'll give it a chance.
They're no strangers to the show however:

Quote:Gladiators has always been a huge part of the Walsh family; Donna Walsh, Barney’s mum and Bradley’s wife, was head choreographer for the Gladiator cheerleaders on the original series. Bradley, and a very young Barney were regular visitors on set, with Barney taking some of his first steps on the iconic arena floor. Not to be outdone, Bradley followed in his small son’s footsteps when he took part in a Celebrities vs Jockeys special in 1997!

(03-05-2023, 12:05 PM)MorganLamia Wrote:  The new hosts have been officially announced - Bradley and Barney Walsh.

www.bbc.co.uk 

Not at all what I would've expected, but I'll give it a chance.

It's certainly not a bad duo, as I really enjoy Bradley's other work & love their ITV Breaking Dad series...

But it doesn't seem to add much variety to BBC One on a Saturday night. If this is a returnable success, that'll be 2 Bradley shows and 2 Michael McIntyre shows outside of Strictly... and not a lot else. I know ITV use the same presenters across a few shows, but their Saturday night pool of shows is a lot bigger.

Gladiators is very different from Blankety Blank though. And they'll probably be at different times of year anyway, the only other Bradley Walsh show on at the same time is probably The Chase. Big Show and The Wheel are never on at the same time either. Same with Ant & Dec, their Takeaway isn't usually on at the same time as Got Talent or I'm A Celeb.

(03-05-2023, 12:52 PM)JAS84 Wrote:  Gladiators is very different from Blankety Blank though. And they'll probably be at different times of year anyway, the only other Bradley Walsh show on at the same time is probably The Chase. Big Show and The Wheel are never on at the same time either. Same with Ant & Dec, their Takeaway isn't usually on at the same time as Got Talent or I'm A Celeb.

Of course. But the point I am making is about the continuous loop of the same talent. Big Show was sandwiched between the split series of The Wheel, so McIntyre was on Saturday nights for about 15+ weeks on the bounce. Same with Ant & Dec over the other side, but ITV do have a more varied schedule.

Not really an attack on using good talented presenters for a number of shows either - just an observation. 

I can imagine they’ll be looking to launch Gladiators around Strictly at some point though? Either at the start of the series or maybe taking the That’s My Jam slot and launching with SCD and staying into the new year.

I can't see the BBC splitting up the Strictly - Blankety Blank combo and with Gladiators being an 11 episode series, it's cutting it a bit fine to air it all before then and I doubt the BBC will want to air it against the Rugby World Cup so who knows when it will be shown.

If Holly won't do the show her husband seems to ask Bradley instead. Don't think he is the right fit here really - indeed Holly and Barney perhapsmight have worked, seashells shines much more when she is the "senior" presenter in a partnership.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Brekkie's post:
  • Pips2022