Big Brother - Returns 2023, ITV2/ITVX

In terms of any new set presumably it wouldn't require as many camera runs behind large one-way mirrors as it used to. These days small HD/4K cameras are relatively affordable and suitable for wall/ceiling mounting, which can then be remotely operated.

Formerly 'Charlie Wells' of TV Forum.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Keith's post:
  • Viper

(02-08-2022, 01:38 PM)Keith Wrote:  In terms of any new set presumably it wouldn't require as many camera runs behind large one-way mirrors as it used to.  These days small HD/4K cameras are relatively affordable and suitable for wall/ceiling mounting, which can then be remotely operated.

I'm trying to remember whether the old camera runs were even used in the traditional sense towards the end on C5. I'm pretty sure they mainly used the PTZ dome cameras mostly.

(02-08-2022, 02:02 PM)Viper Wrote:  
(02-08-2022, 01:38 PM)Keith Wrote:  In terms of any new set presumably it wouldn't require as many camera runs behind large one-way mirrors as it used to.  These days small HD/4K cameras are relatively affordable and suitable for wall/ceiling mounting, which can then be remotely operated.

I'm trying to remember whether the old camera runs were even used in the traditional sense towards the end on C5. I'm pretty sure they mainly used the PTZ dome cameras mostly.

They used more and more PTZs and towards the very end, only had camera operators go into the runs during the live eviction shows.

I think they will still have camera runs personally, just not as many as you say, they still have them on Love Island in the garden, they are hard to spot but they have big cameras with box lenses in there, mostly for the closeups when doing the recoupling.

Will be interesting to see how they manage the new setup in terms of House & outside audience area.

If it is at Bovingdon they may well have lots more flexibility in terms of space unlike Elstree where the setup was all rather cramped.

Unsure if they've mis-understood something or whether they have insider info but this article from the Telegraph says:

"ITV2 are launching streaming service ITVX later this year and will use the Big Brother live feed to drive subscriptions. "

www.telegraph.co.uk 
[-] The following 3 users Like Ash101's post:
  • bilky asko, thomalex, Viper

(02-08-2022, 05:17 PM)Ash101 Wrote:  Unsure if they've mis-understood something or whether they have insider info but this article from the Telegraph says:

"ITV2 are launching streaming service ITVX later this year and will use the Big Brother live feed to drive subscriptions. "

www.telegraph.co.uk 

It seems fairly legit. Interesting to get the take of Paul Osbourne on the news of the BB revival.

For those who weren't aware, Paul was the producer of both BB7 and BB19, the final series. I think a lot of BB fans are hoping that he will also be involved in the forthcoming series.

Marcus Bentley interview on Radio Times.

www.radiotimes.com 

He hasn't been confirmed yet, but has been speaking with producers. He says he thinks it will be Autumn 23 - so still a year to wait.

If you ask me, Big Brother 3.0 could go one of 2 major routes:

1. A Love Island clone with the powerful Big Brother name.
2. A Rehash of the Channel 4 series, circa Series 5-8

In my opinion, it does need to go in a new direction, one that is an evolution of the format. I know if I were running it, I would go for a smaller house, maybe 8-12 people in at most. I wouldn't have it be a luxury house either, like the villas of Love Island. The appliances need to be white, plastic, and value branded (save for the odd sponsored product). The Housemates need to be working together for things like the shopping budget (just like the old show), and working separately to get preferential treatment or 'treats'. You can't have Z-List celebrities, influencers, or tiktokers on the show either. You can have younger people, but you need to make them all unique: they all need their own story, and background.

The show needs to be smaller scale, at first, to prove to the weary audience that the new producers will do it justice. The Channel 5 series' tested viewers faith in the show, and a lot of people are not going to be as willing to watch it on a channel that has Love Island, TOWIE, and Celebrity Juice, because that's the stereotype of what an ITV 2 programme is. Brash, low-brow, cheap entertainment, when a lot of it isn't. I give it enough bashing, but Love Island is good junk food telly.

But I digress. The show needs to be smaller scale. The main daily recap show, a live eviction show every Saturday or Sunday, and maybe a sister show, like Bit on the Side or BBLB, that could air on ITVx. A Live Feed could be good, but I wouldn't pay for it. I wouldn't bring back Davina, Dermot, Rylan, or Emma though. I think the show needs a new host, though I cannot say I know who. I think the only original BB thing that should come back is Marcus Bentley, but that's it.

Ultimately, the new show will live and die on its first series. If it can't be the groundbreaking reality beheamouth it was in 2000, then I would ask the producters to keep the spirit of this show alive. Cut them off from social media, cut them off from the news, media. Put these Housemates in a new, alien situation (to them). Simplicity will make the show. Gimmicks will break it.

[Image: blu97.png]
[-] The following 3 users Like Blubatt's post:
  • Si-Co, TODAY, Viper

Quote:I think the only original BB thing that should come back is Marcus Bentley, but that's it.

Quite a few rumblings on Twitter about Marcus, many of which appear keen for him not to play a role in the next series. I'm kind of in agreement myself to be honest. He did almost become a parody of himself in later series with his over the top narration.

(10-08-2022, 11:19 AM)Viper Wrote:  
Quote:I think the only original BB thing that should come back is Marcus Bentley, but that's it.

Quite a few rumblings on Twitter about Marcus, many of which appear keen for him not to play a role in the next series. I'm kind of in agreement myself to be honest. He did almost become a parody of himself in later series with his over the top narration.

If they want a harsh, semi-parody accent for their voiceover, I suppose they already have Iain Stirling.