This is the most real time event you'll see in how the US and UK approach live events.

I think Laura handled this exceptionally well. My Twitter feed this afternoon was full of retweets of that clip and praise for Laura (including, oddly enough, people calling for her to get a primetime show!). While it might have felt like sports commentary it was an active and fast moving situation that changed every second, and since the cameras weren’t on the person self-immolating, Laura gave as much description as she could.

Wonder if Laura’s 11pm show will see any ratings effect from the exposure.
[-] The following 2 users Like EastCoast's post:
  • LDN, Talkover

Yeah in real time. I think she was trying to be as descriptive as possible, as she wasnt aware if the camera or the gallery was taking the footage live. Which i think they were trying to capture the moment to record it. And left it to the gallery to determine if they were going to keep the shot on the presenters or take the images live. It was bizarre of course, but its not everyday you are confronted with another humanbeing lighting themselves on fire. In the moment i think many of us would have been so shocked to speak. For a journalist covering such a bizarre moment, i dont think we can be too harsh. With her in utter shock and trying to string together words to describe the scene. It was simply unimaginable. How often would you smell what they smelled and saw. She is not a war reporter used to seeing bodies and like. So some leeway should be afforded.
[-] The following 8 users Like mouseboy33's post:
  • alex.w, ATLerinHK, EastCoast, LDN, London Lite, matthieu1221, Michael Wotton, Talkover

For the Trump trial CNN, both on Domestic and International, started using a sidebar on the left that carries live text feed of what is going on in the courtroom (in addition to the coverage taking the rest of the screen).

postimg.cc 
[-] The following 2 users Like oscillon's post:
  • matthieu1221, Talkover

upload.wikimedia.org 
Web Image

Interesting move by CNN. Innovative way to get the latest out of the court room, with the lack of a live camera. Sadly their efforts probably wont yield a significant bump in viewers. Sadly they are likely going to forgo everything go all in on the trial. There is significance, being the 1st US president criminally tried. So i get that. But they did get a bump in viewers over the weekend with their middle east coverage.
[-] The following 1 user Likes mouseboy33's post:
  • Talkover

Just some of my observations on the parallel coverage of CNN US and CNNI/Max...

CNN US is reliant mostly on their panel, headed by Jake Tapper (in DC) and Kaitlan Collins (in NY), mostly in-house like Jamie Gangel, Laura Coates, and others. It's just kinda annoying that Tapper interrupts everyone whenever there is an update from the courtroom, even when the guest is talking mid-sentence.

CNNI/Max coverage is presented by Erica Hill and Jim Sciutto separately, which feels more of a traditional cable newscast with correspondents talking about various aspects like the case and election campaign. They mostly talk to outside commentators and analysts, but they only show-up at certain portion of the program, not the whole coverage. They just let the trial graphic update, and barely mentioning it on-air.
[-] The following 2 users Like bakamann's post:
  • oscillon, Talkover

There’s a a special live show that’s just on Max right now, hosted by Abby Phillip. All about the Trump trial. It’s NOT also on CNNI… which is odd since otherwise CNNI and Max show the same thing almost always.

CNNI is showing Erin Burnett OutFront as usual.

Also a 10pm special edition of Situation Room on the Max schedule (also all about the trial).
[-] The following 2 users Like inletwindow's post:
  • interestednovice, oscillon

Interesting article from Brooke Baldwin about her version of events surrounding her CNN exit.

She doesn’t mention the producer by name, but it’s not like his identity is a secret.

www.vanityfair.com 
[-] The following 11 users Like inletwindow's post:
  • AndrewP, ATLerinHK, bakamann, Charles, ginnyfan, interestednovice, jirka, matthieu1221, oscillon, Talkover, TVFan

That was a fascinating read and quite sad. It was clear that Brooke was sidelined during her last few years at CNN, especially with that forced election break. Not surprised Zucker is a POS, it takes one to become so powerful in the world of media. Also a reminder of what a cruel business the news media is. On the front it's all fake smiles and loving, kind words while behind the scenes it's a backstabbing, dog eat dog world.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ginnyfan's post:
  • Charles

(Yesterday, 12:24 AM)inletwindow Wrote:  There’s a a special live show that’s just on Max right now, hosted by Abby Phillip. All about the Trump trial. It’s NOT also on CNNI… which is odd since otherwise CNNI and Max show the same thing almost always.

CNNI is showing Erin Burnett OutFront as usual.

Also a 10pm special edition of Situation Room on the Max schedule (also all about the trial).

Found the CNN coverage interesting in parts because whilst they advertised special coverage at 9am ET, they had their normal lineup yesterday until 10:50am. They had John Berman presenting from the courthouse balcony with the usual News Central team in the New York bureau until 10am before having Kaitlin Collins anchor with Jim from 10am and then Jake Tapper co-presented with her until 2:30pm before going back to Brianna and Boris in Washington until 4pm ET. That was funny enough captioned as a 'CNN Special Report' despite the obvious News Central background.

Should also point out that The Situation Room during the Trump Trial is known as 'Trump Trial Today'. The studio has much more fancier red and grey backgrounds and the intro, whilst having the iconic Situation Room music, is different as well.

Also Primetime was different as well, 8pm-10pm was Anderson Cooper presenting but the second hour was still branded as 'The Source' whilst Kaitlin Collins instead co-presented NewsNight with Abby Phillip from 10pm-11pm instead rather than her own show even though she still contributed to The Source. XD
[-] The following 2 users Like TMD_24's post:
  • oscillon, Talkover