In other news: Derek Van Dam is now the permanent weather presenter of CNN This Morning.

twitter.com 
[-] The following 4 users Like EastCoast's post:
  • bkman1990, Charles, Newsroom, thevaran

Remember when every shift had a dedicated weather person on CNNI. Sports as well. Back when channel felt alive.....

(28-03-2023, 10:22 PM)EastCoast Wrote:  In other news: Derek Van Dam is now the permanent weather presenter of CNN This Morning.

twitter.com 

Great news! He's such a good presenter. 

Let's hope his new role enables him to engage with a stylist. For someone so young and handsome - I wouldn't dress a shop window mannequin in his choice of clothes.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Newsroom's post:
  • Kojak

(28-03-2023, 10:22 PM)EastCoast Wrote:  In other news: Derek Van Dam is now the permanent weather presenter of CNN This Morning.

twitter.com 

Didn't know they brought weather updates back to the morning show!

(26-03-2023, 03:21 AM)bakamann Wrote:  
(25-03-2023, 08:56 PM)sky303 Wrote:  I also remember the CNN Special Investigations Unit they had for a few years too.

I somehow recall that CNN Special Investigations Unit is a thing, but I assume it got absorbed or renamed as the "K-File", since they are more prominent on AC360 and other CNN Domestic shows.

KFfile is its own thing — that’s Andrew Kaczynski’s project.  He was poached from BuzzFeed by Zucker, if I recall correctly.  

There is another investigative unit — called CNN Investigations which is sort of kind of what SIU eventually became.  

Those sorts of units get restructured all the time.  And investigative units often go hand in hand with doc units.

(28-03-2023, 10:26 PM)ginnyfan Wrote:  Remember when every shift had a dedicated weather person on CNNI. Sports as well. Back when channel felt alive.....

I wonder what happened to many of the weather presenters. Seems like sports and weather never get a send off when they leave. 

It’s good to see CNN adding dedicated weather back to the show. Wonder if they’ll move him to NY or keep him in Atlanta. I can’t see them keeping a dedicated weather studio in Techwood.

And it's official:

John Berman, Kate Bolduan and Sara Sidner to Debut April 3, 9am-12pm ET Weekday Program out of New York

Brianna Keilar, Boris Sanchez and Jim Sciutto to Debut April 17, 1pm-4pm ET Weekday Program out of Washington

cnnpressroom.blogs.cnn.com 

[Image: 20230328-cnc_on-white_16x9.jpg]

So, we have two separate launches from New York and DC, the latter being two weeks late for some reason (can't finish refurbishing studios? not enough piloting?) and first glimpse of a logo.

Also worth noting that the production teams for both shows, as predicted, will remain in Atlanta.
Quote:Both programs will be produced out of Atlanta.
[-] The following 5 users Like oscillon's post:
  • bkman1990, EastCoast, interestednovice, matthieu1221, Newsroom

(29-03-2023, 05:25 PM)oscillon Wrote:  And it's official:

John Berman, Kate Bolduan and Sara Sidner to Debut April 3, 9am-12pm ET Weekday Program out of New York

Brianna Keilar, Boris Sanchez and Jim Sciutto to Debut April 17, 1pm-4pm ET Weekday Program out of Washington

So, we have two separate launches from New York and DC, the latter being two weeks late for some reason (can't finish refurbishing studios? not enough piloting?) and first glimpse of a logo.

Also worth noting that the production teams for both shows, as predicted, will remain in Atlanta.
Quote:Both programs will be produced out of Atlanta.
I don’t think that those would be produced out of Atlanta was ever in doubt.  It’s more or less the same teams that had been doing those hours previously (it’s multiple teams being restructured into just two though).

If that wasn’t the case, we’d have heard about it quite some time ago.  There would be a lot of layoffs and also new hirings in other cities.

As far back as I can remember, 9am-4pm ET during the week has always been produced out of Atlanta, regardless of where the anchors are.  

And doesn’t seem unusual that one team is ready to go before the other.  What is perhaps unusual is that they don’t want to wait until both are ready to launch. 

I wouldn’t call it “piloting.” They’ve been doing rehearsals.  

In my mind, pilots are for when shows are in development and are still kind of pitches and experiments BEFORE they’ve been fully greenlit.  There are many pilots that never see the light of day.
[-] The following 3 users Like inletwindow's post:
  • bkman1990, interestednovice, Newsroom

(29-03-2023, 05:52 PM)inletwindow Wrote:  
(29-03-2023, 05:25 PM)oscillon Wrote:  And it's official:

I don’t think that those would be produced out of Atlanta was ever in doubt.  It’s more or less the same teams that had been doing those hours previously (it’s multiple teams being restructured into just two though).

If that wasn’t the case, we’d have heard about it quite some time ago.  There would be a lot of layoffs and also new hirings in other cities.

As far back as I can remember, 9am-4pm ET during the week has always been produced out of Atlanta, regardless of where the anchors are.  

And doesn’t seem unusual that one team is ready to go before the other.  What is perhaps unusual is that they don’t want to wait until both are ready to launch. 

I wouldn’t call it “piloting.” They’ve been doing rehearsals.  

In my mind, pilots are for when shows are in development and are still kind of pitches and experiments BEFORE they’ve been fully greenlit.  There are many pilots that never see the light of day.
This pilot is a great example of that! Was unearthed back at the blue forum.
www.youtube.com 
[-] The following 3 users Like matthieu1221's post:
  • EastCoast, interestednovice, oscillon

I was thinking of this pilot before you posted it, as I remember seeing it.

The full pilot episode of the Boeing investigation was also on YouTube somewhere, I remember seeing that too.

This pilot was ultimately successful, in a way, as CNN did launch Your World Today with Cyril and Isa - although the programme with similar, elements of it were also quite different, which shows how far programme concepts can evolve from initial pilot to regular production stage. The pilot was also in a totally different studio - I believe it was Atlanta’s Studio 7, whereas the actual show eventually came from CNN London.