Channel numbers or channel names for itv best?

Sky rebranded sky one sky max and got rid of all numbered movie channels all getting set names etc,

In a world of streaming which will become more and more dominant and less dominant tv channels making an impact are numbered channels less specifically linked to content and names would be better to sum up what's available? As streaming is changing the way tv is viewed.

Focusing on itv...

Itv 2 now with love island and big brother next year no doubt biggest shows on the channel , would (itv reality) be a better name?
Itv 3 obviously becomes (itv gold)
Itv be (not a number already) but renamed (itv lifestyle)
Itv 4 with it's sports and action movies (itv extreme)

What was the reasoning with sky shedding it's numbered channels?
Do names in a streaming world actually make more sense than numbers now and have more stand out impact showing what's on offer?

Good question. I think the current way of naming channels is slightly messy, given that ITVBe and ITV Encore (as was) existed alongside ITV 2, 3, and 4, then there's CITV as well. On one hand, people know what each ITV channel shows without the genre-based name: We know ITV hosts bad reality shows and kids movies, and that ITV 3 is basically ITV Gold. But on the other hand, genre based names could work. After all, Granada and Carlton's former digital channels had genre based names (Granada Plus, Carlton World, etc.). And names like ITV 2 are, after all, legacy brands for a long passed point of presentation.

I don't think ITV will do it anytime soon, though. ITV is not Sky. Sky's change to name and genre based channels were done to put the Sky brand first. Also, Sky One stood out as a name for a while. Sky is a premium subscription product, and you pay to access the vast majority of Sky branded channels (Sky Arts and Sky News notwithstanding). Plus, they have the money to pump into changing channel names, and launch new channels whenever they want. ITV is a big company, but compared to Comcast-owned Sky, they're not on the same level. Changing ITV 2, 3, 4, and Be to genre based names is a lot of money into promotion, into new branding, into comissioning new programming. Sky can go by purchasing repeat rights.

[Image: blu97.png]
[-] The following 2 users Like Blubatt's post:
  • Bagelcrisp, LaDeDa

Blubatt ...
What did you think of main itv channel when it added the 1 to its name for a few years , then reverted back to just itv
You think should have kept the 1 or glad it's just itv ?

(01-08-2022, 08:46 PM)LaDeDa Wrote:  Blubatt ...
What did you think of main itv channel when it added the 1 to its name for a few years , then reverted back to just itv
You think should have kept the 1 or glad it's just itv ?

It was ITV 1 for most of my childhood, and became ITV again when I was in college. I never really had a preference. And I'll be honest, between genre names and numbered names, I don't care either way. It makes sense for Sky to have genre channels, otherwise it is Sky 1, Sky 2, Sky 3, Sky 4, and so on then Sky Cinema 1-10, Sky Sports 1-whatever. ITV has less channels.

[Image: blu97.png]
[-] The following 1 user Likes Blubatt's post:
  • LaDeDa

I think people know what's on each ITV channel without being spoon fed a genre name. You only end up broadcasting things that don't fit your chosen genre. I'd hardly call ITV4's showings of the 1960s series The Avengers as 'extreme'. So you potentially run the risk of putting people off before they've even had a look.

I understood why they added the '1' to the main channel, but not so much why they removed it, or why they created 'ITV2.5' and called it ITVBe.

Sky have so many channels that it's not worth using numbers to confuse people, so genres probably work best for them. Other than live sporting events, I suspect most of their viewers are simply downloading anyway.
[-] The following 2 users Like Stuart's post:
  • Blubatt, London Lite

I personally think that the old saying 'If it ain't broke, don't fix it' applies here.

While I can see your thinking behind renaming ITV2 as ITV Reality, it wouldn't really make sense as ITV2 is filled with repeats of Catchphrase, Family Fortunes and various American dramas and movies. Such a name would suit ITVBe better, but again, 'if it ain't broke..'
[-] The following 3 users Like Viper's post:
  • Fiendish Astronaut, Rijowhi, Stuart

ITV2 also does comedy commissions as well, so it's better just keeping it ITV2. It's built a brand for itself, thanks for bankers like Love Island.

(01-08-2022, 08:09 PM)LaDeDa Wrote:  Sky rebranded sky one sky max and got rid of all numbered movie channels all getting set names etc,

In a world of streaming which will become more and more dominant and less dominant tv channels making an impact are numbered channels less specifically linked to content and names would be better to sum up what's available? As streaming is changing the way tv is viewed.

Focusing on itv...

Itv 2 now with love island and big brother next year no doubt biggest shows on the channel , would (itv reality) be a better name?
Itv 3 obviously becomes (itv gold)
Itv be (not a number already) but renamed (itv lifestyle)
Itv 4 with it's sports and action movies (itv extreme)

What was the reasoning with sky shedding it's numbered channels?
Do names in a streaming world actually make more sense than numbers now and have more stand out impact showing what's on offer?

Isn't Itv Be. More of a Reality channel than Itv2
Itv2 is more of a comedy / entertainment channel, unless im wrong?
[-] The following 1 user Likes Bagelcrisp's post:
  • Rijowhi

Wouldn't a name change also allow shows to change channels or schedule etc..
All reality on ..(itv reality)..even USA imports of reality there in daytime screening..

It's not like outside reality many of itv2 shows hit the heights. So have re focus for itv reality, itv gold, itv lifestyle and itv extreme

(02-08-2022, 04:21 PM)LaDeDa Wrote:  Wouldn't a name change also allow shows to change channels or schedule etc..
All reality on ..(itv reality)..even USA imports of reality there in daytime screening..

It's not like outside reality many of itv2 shows hit the heights. So have re focus for itv reality, itv gold, itv lifestyle and itv extreme

ITV2 has had its own hits of different genres throughout its lifetime. The station seems to refocus itself every so often, so even if it’s main hits now are reality, it will no doubt be something different in the future.
[-] The following 1 user Likes JD_'s post:
  • Rijowhi