Thread Closed

ITV (Wider Group) Branding

(23-09-2022, 07:58 PM)Allanbuzzy Wrote:  I assume the new branding will coincide with the launch of ITVX or at the very least, consistently guide viewers around the ITV eco-system along with ITVX being the centre piece of it all. Hopefully, like what other forum posters say, ITV3 and ITV4 get new branding, as they so desperately are stuck in 2013.

I don't feel that ITV could ever try to bring back the "1" prefix or make it work now, because the only reason ITV1 was a name was because it was to purely work alongside their new digital sibling channel ITV2. ABC TV in Australia did that as well back in 2008 a few years after the launch of ABC2, but soon reverted in 2014.
I actually would like to see itv1 back. Think making the 1 a big focus in idents be a good idea. Look at channel 5 with its number in focus looking good in simple idents. 
I definitely hope itv think of bringing the 1 back.

(23-09-2022, 09:11 PM)JexedBack Wrote:  More pictures of the filming of the ident today… 
Featuring a bride
https://twitter.com/discoverfylde/status/1573300581535518721?s=46&t=aJfa0S4n_RzzNgnty68ekA

And Father Christmas 

https://twitter.com/discoverfylde/status/1573353246718033921?s=46&t=aJfa0S4n_RzzNgnty68ekA

Looking very much like the 2013 itv ident look..thinking of the Santa's going round on that fair ground ride etc. 
Also the beach being that old..itv the brighter side slogan location.

With Santa being included starting to think will be in November with itvX launch we see new looks?

Id rather itv2 and itvBe be at front of queue for new looks as could be improved so much.

I hope if ITV are bringing back the live action idents in some form (although I feel the current ITV Creates are timeless, just like the 1991 BBC2 idents), they bring back ITV Pug!! They could create a whole package around the pug, or at least few idents at least, he was always loved when he came on screen. It probably won't happen though. It'll be a shame if the current idents go.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Juicy Joe's post:
  • Ma76

(23-09-2022, 07:58 PM)Allanbuzzy Wrote:  I don't feel that ITV could ever try to bring back the "1" prefix or make it work now, because the only reason ITV1 was a name was because it was to purely work alongside their new digital sibling channel ITV2.
The '1' doesn't work as a prefix. "1ITV" wouldn't match any of the other channels in their brand.

Having it return as a suffix makes more sense. It wasn't introduced because of ITV2, as that had been in existence for almost 3 years by that time.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Stuart's post:
  • Former Member 406

(24-09-2022, 10:57 PM)Stuart Wrote:  
(23-09-2022, 07:58 PM)Allanbuzzy Wrote:  I don't feel that ITV could ever try to bring back the "1" suffix or make it work now, because the only reason ITV1 was a name was because it was to purely work alongside their new digital sibling channel ITV2.
The '1' doesn't work as a prefix. "1ITV" wouldn't match any of the other channels in their brand.

Having it return as a suffix makes more sense. It wasn't introduced because of ITV2, as that had been in existence for almost 3 years by that time.

Apologies, I should've said suffix, but my point still stands, it wouldn't really work in this age since ITV1 was of a transitional digital era, and given most of the UK has transferred to digital, the need to identify the main ITV as "ITV1" just doesn't seem to make sense to me. It's like how Channel 4 and Channel 5, for as they make sense as names, didn't need to change their main channel's name because they launched spin-off channels.
[-] The following 2 users Like Allanbuzzy's post:
  • Ma76, Roger Darthwell

(25-09-2022, 12:43 AM)Allanbuzzy Wrote:  . . . given most of the UK has transferred to digital, the need to identify the main ITV as "ITV1" just doesn't seem to make sense to me.

It's like how Channel 4 and Channel 5, for as they make sense as names, didn't need to change their main channel's name because they launched spin-off channels.
DSO completed for UK terrestrial TV broadcasts over a decade ago on 24 October 2012.

C4 use '4' as the main part of their channel names, as it's their brand. They have never used additional numerals to define their subsidiary channels.

Similarly, C5 use '5' as part of the name for many of their subsidiary channels. They have also never used additional numerals to identify them.

If you have ITV 2/3/4, it makes little sense not to have 'ITV1'.
[-] The following 2 users Like Stuart's post:
  • Former Member 406, Ma76

This isn't just something that came along with digital TV of course. BBC One was originally called BBC Television Service, abbreviated on screen as either BBC or BBCtv. When BBC2 launched it became BBC1. And that was in the 1960s! But it's not that simple for ITV. The reason ITV didn't become ITV1 when ITV2 launched was because nobody would've called it that, the regional names were still in use at the time. By the time they did add the 1 in 2001 (when ITV2 introduced it's second, matching, logo), they were making plans to phase them out, so people would come to know the channel as ITV1. In theory. Turns out people still called it just ITV or the regional name, so they switched back when the current logo was introduced in 2013.
[-] The following 2 users Like JAS84's post:
  • Ma76, Stuart

I think that even if you change the name of a brand, people will still call it it's old name, like Marathon with Snickers, or Opal Fruits for Starbursts, or to tie it back to TV somewhat, TV3 compared to Virgin Media One in Ireland.

People will choose what they want to call it and people would understand what exactly they are meaning. Just changing the name or adding a numeral won't mean diddly squat if what they're watching is still "ITV".

In retrospect, mentioning C4 and C5 is silly, given that they already do have a numeral in their name, and Sky only got rid of their numeral names when Sky One was completely "renamed" into Sky Max, as Sky Two and Sky3 only renamed years before Sky One was renamed.
[-] The following 2 users Like Allanbuzzy's post:
  • Ma76, Roger Darthwell

(26-09-2022, 04:21 PM)Allanbuzzy Wrote:  I think that even if you change the name of a brand, people will still call it it's old name, like Marathon with Snickers, or Opal Fruits for Starbursts, or to tie it back to TV somewhat, TV3 compared to Virgin Media One in Ireland.

A highly relevant example - my mum called ITV "Westward", even after they had been off air for 30 years and numerous name changes since.
[-] The following 1 user Likes i.h's post:
  • Ma76

(27-09-2022, 12:48 PM)i.h Wrote:  
(26-09-2022, 04:21 PM)Allanbuzzy Wrote:  I think that even if you change the name of a brand, people will still call it it's old name, like Marathon with Snickers, or Opal Fruits for Starbursts, or to tie it back to TV somewhat, TV3 compared to Virgin Media One in Ireland.

A highly relevant example - my mum called ITV "Westward", even after they had been off air for 30 years and numerous name changes since.

Likewise, my late Grandad continued to call all of ITV 'Granada' for as long as I remember

[Image: blu97.png]
[-] The following 1 user Likes Blubatt's post:
  • Ma76

Some news on this...

twitter.com 
[-] The following 6 users Like Clean Feed's post:
  • Andrew Wood, bkman1990, gottago, LaDeDa, Ma76, Superman1986
Thread Closed