Thread Closed

ITV (Wider Group) Branding

It is a dumb idea though.

Nobody called it ITV1 then, nobody will now.

[Image: 1592580878_1869298444.svg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes VMPhil's post:
  • chevron

(04-10-2022, 12:44 PM)VMPhil Wrote:  Nobody called it ITV1 then, nobody will now.
It's unwarranted to say "nobody".

I certainly called it ITV1, as did many other people.
[-] The following 3 users Like Stuart's post:
  • ethanjbrady, Former Member 406, Superman1986

BBC TV got renamed to BBC1 once a BBC2 came into existence, and never reverted back just because usage of the new name may have taken a while to permeate most ordinary folk's habits.

The adding of the "1" to the main ITV network's brand was an equally logical move to reflect it now being part of a family of channels including some with numbers from 2 upwards. The subsequent removal of the "1" from the main ITV network's name always seemed counter-intuitive to me, unless ITVs 2-4 had been simultaneously shut down or renamed.

If the "1" really is coming back, then I welcome it. The current situation is a bit OCD-upsetting for me.

Those who would rather not see the "1" come back, please ask yourself this: Would you *really* be okay with it if BBC One were called literally just "BBC", and all its siblings called BBC Two, BBC Three etc?
[-] The following 1 user Likes Former Member 406's post:
  • Stuart

(04-10-2022, 01:16 PM)Stuart Wrote:  
(04-10-2022, 12:44 PM)VMPhil Wrote:  Nobody called it ITV1 then, nobody will now.
It's unwarranted to say "nobody".

I certainly called it ITV1, as did many other people.

With all due respect, I think us forum members are slightly different to the average viewer!

[Image: 1592580878_1869298444.svg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes VMPhil's post:
  • Ma76

Quick update - some nuggets of info re the changes:

- The corporate logo isn't changing.

- Idents will be cross-channel. The same set of locations are used across all channels. Each channel has its own twist on the scene, which stems directly from the channel's tone of voice. The channel logo swipes or manipulates the camera or scene with gestures. The majority of people are either far away or shown in motion passing the camera. CGI is used wherever possible. There are 25 idents in total - they've all been filmed. 

- The "ITV 1" brand is returning. There has been confusion about "ITV" as a masterbrand and "ITV" as a broadcast channel.

- The ITV Reem font is being replaced.

- The new typeface has lots of different weights and families - every channel will have its own version of this typeface.

- The numeral element of each of the broadcast channels will be displayed in the new font.

- Trail endboards will follow a similar design on each channel, albeit different colouring/versions of the new typeface.

- Swipe effects will be a common element on the broadcast channels.

- ITV 1: Human, Optimistic, Welcoming, Massive, Collective.

- ITV 2: Human, Optimistic, Welcoming, Irreverent, OTT.

- ITV 3: Human, Optimistic, Welcoming, Classy, Intriguing.

- ITV 4: Human, Optimistic, Welcoming, No Nonsense, Fanatical.

- ITVBe: Human, Optimistic, Welcoming, Gregarious, Gossipy.

- ITVX: Human, Optimistic, Welcoming, Dynamic, Alive.

- On screen changes expected on 3rd November.

- CITV will be looked at separately - possibly from early 2023.

- No plans to fundamentally change ITV News branding - possibly some font adjustments in the coming months.

It’s about time STV followed suit. Their current look is now 8 years old. I know they updated the set of idents a few years back by absorbing some of the STV Glasgow and STV Edinburgh content but I think it’s time for a change.
[-] The following 8 users Like ScottishTVGuy's post:
  • bkman1990, Clydeskye, Former Member 406, GMc, Jeff, Superman1986, thomash79, WhisperOfCinnamon

The idents being the same across all 5 channels, then adapting part way through to suit sounds like a very interesting concept. I hope it comes across on screen as well as it sounds in theory.

Hope they finally announce a change to (or hopefully) the end of UTV as a brand.

Is the new font perhaps the one they used for the announcement of the various ITV Facebook/Twitter pages closing and becoming ITV X instead?
[Image: FeIyG29WIAAvrfq.jpg]
[-] The following 4 users Like rick's post:
  • CATV, no1fanofthepals, starplus, Superman1986

Stupid question, but....

Will there be some kind of mnemonic to this new look?

Wow, I'm a bit surprised ITV1 is coming back. Interesting that the idents will be cross channel but have their own twist on the same scene, quite a good idea I think if it's executed well.

What will happen to the end credits of TV shows I wonder if Reem is going. Will they be replaced? Wish they'd ditch the generic credits now or at least ask programme makers to add a nice background to them.

Also wonder if ITV News will be refreshed to coincide. (EDIT: I see it's not going to be, but hopefully they do sort the font out to use the new typeface! ITV News has a great brand as it is but personally I'd like to see them use the blue colour more in the studio and ditch the teal across all bulletins)

Be interesting to see what colour the channel logos are. Hope they don't go with yellow again for ITV1, I never much liked that.

Quite excited about this!
[-] The following 2 users Like pad's post:
  • Ma76, Superman1986

The original post with info on the ITV brand refresh has been updated with more info in the last 30 mins:

pres.cafe 
Thread Closed