The TV Gameshow Thread

Some international gameshow news from the Australian Chase, as they announce a new Chaser 'The Smiling Assassin'   Smile

She joins Goliath, The Governess, The Beast, The Shark, Supernerd & Tiger Mum - new series from Monday.  Quite a nice promo there for the new series. 

youtu.be 

It's good to see Daphne from Scooby Doo ended up with a decent job after emigrating to Australia.
[-] The following 7 users Like bilky asko's post:
  • Clean Feed, DE88, eyeTV, Juicy Joe, LouBlu08, Ma76, TVFan

Fans of bridge-based quiz shows will be delighted that BBC One's Bridge of Lies has been recommissioned for another 25 daytime episodes and 8 primetime celebrity episodes to air in 2023. 

twitter.com 

That's good news - as I think it might be the best new game show that the BBC have launched in quite a few years.

I know people mean about Celebrity specials of everything, but it might just help to raise the profile of this one a little bit. I wish they'd rest Pointless occasionally too and let other stuff have a run in the 5:15 slot.

Impossible has been cancelled yet the repeats mid afternoon are making the daily Top 20 at the moment.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Ash101's post:
  • TJTSW

(02-08-2022, 09:46 PM)eyeTV Wrote:  Some international gameshow news from the Australian Chase, as they announce a new Chaser 'The Smiling Assassin'   Smile

She joins Goliath, The Governess, The Beast, The Shark, Supernerd & Tiger Mum - new series from Monday.  Quite a nice promo there for the new series. 

youtu.be 
Never been fond of the Australian Chaser nicknames (note nicknames), especially Supernerd & Tiger Mum. But Paul Sinha is also called 'The Smiling Assassin' on occasions.

(03-08-2022, 10:39 AM)Ash101 Wrote:  That's good news - as I think it might be the best new game show that the BBC have launched in quite a few years.

I know people mean about Celebrity specials of everything, but it might just help to raise the profile of this one a little bit. I wish they'd rest Pointless occasionally too and let other stuff have a run in the 5:15 slot.

Impossible has been cancelled yet the repeats mid afternoon are making the daily Top 20 at the moment.
ITV cancelled Ninja Warrior, kept repeating it, it was doing so well, they uncancelled it. Could Impossible end up following suit? I have to say, it's odd that they're repeating it at all if they want rid of it.

First look at Fastest Finger First

youtu.be 

(03-08-2022, 07:27 PM)JAS84 Wrote:  
(03-08-2022, 10:39 AM)Ash101 Wrote:  That's good news - as I think it might be the best new game show that the BBC have launched in quite a few years.

ITV cancelled Ninja Warrior, kept repeating it, it was doing so well, they uncancelled it. Could Impossible end up following suit? I have to say, it's odd that they're repeating it at all if they want rid of it.
Normal for BBC daytime. They’re still showing Egghead repeats quite often despite them not commissioning any new series and it ending up on Channel 5. You’ll find BBC Two has habit of repeating daytime gameshows for quite a few years after they stop making them. Whenever I catch Head Hunters repeats it always seems to the be the same few contestants from when I last watched an episode a few months prior.

I notice Challenge are currently showing the first series of Millionaire again, with the first episode currently airing. IIRC it’s the actual episodes (albeit joined up to make a full hour) with minimal edits, rather than the usual Classic Millionaire mess.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Jon's post:
  • Juicy Joe

This 1st series of Millionaire is billed as "New" on the EPG, yet it was last shown on Challenge on the 19th January 2015 as I have it recorded. Despite this, it's refreshing to see the original series being reshown, where the jeopardy and tension are palpable.

Things of note that differ to latter series:-
- The perspex box of cash on display
- The use of a cordless phone for Phone a Friend, at least for the 1st episode
- Longer music beds for walking on with the contestant
- The lighting - use of red and purple quite evident on the audience and darker lighting elsewhere
- Closer tighter shots on the contestants
- Fastest Finger consisted of one correct answer rather than four in the correct order
- No music bed during the first five questions, at least in episode 2.

There may be more differences. The credits were recreated to avoid having sponsor messages and the phone number to ring, with the newer version of the theme music, but with the original Celador endcap and Carlton endcap.

It was great to see it again. I remember it being the highlight of conversation the next day when it was originally broadcast! Obviously, this was when the internet was just a foetus & forums were yet to be discovered and people used to actually talk with one another. Not many shows like this or of any genre, create a genuine buzz these days, at least in real life.
[-] The following 3 users Like Juicy Joe's post:
  • DE88, Jon, Ma76