Linear channels and the future

(19-12-2023, 05:59 PM)cable Wrote:  Linear channels are clearly dying unless you package it as a FAST channel so a focus on streaming was not necessarily wrong but in this case was misguided probably fuelled by the parent company wanting a brand that could be used across all its markets.
I think a lot depends on whether the channels are showing mostly new content, or mostly repeats.

Where it's mostly or entirely repeats then it's unlikely that channel will be viable in the long-term. With broadcasters having their own catch-up platforms they can show repeats via that facility, with adverts which cannot be fast-forwarded through (unless you pay a premium).

With channels that mostly show new and/or live content will probably still survive in the long-term. Viewers seem to be more likely to specifically watch those channels, as been demonstrated in recent years.

I think there's still a bit of consolidating to go with the streaming services. We've already seen Disney+ and Hulu merge, and now Peacock confirmed closing (at least in the UK). Similarly My5 and Pluto are also due to merge in the next year.

Formerly 'Charlie Wells' of TV Forum.
[-] The following 5 users Like Keith's post:
  • callumwatchestelly, dbl, interestednovice, Jeff, Spencer

The death of linear is exaggerated, at least at the moment. Sports and news, as well as event-type programming, will keep it going for a good while yet. For sports many fans still prefer satellite/cable/terrestrial to streaming particularly on the basis of the longer delay associated with streaming (it’s why in commercial premises satellite/cable is ubiquitous - all screens and the commentary need to be in sync)
[-] The following 15 users Like Rdd's post:
  • AJB39, bkman1990, Brekkie, ethanjbrady, interestednovice, Jeff, JosiahStuart, Kunst, London Lite, Nobby, Roger Darthwell, SB678, Spencer, Transmission, VMPhil

There's also something to be said for just being able to 'put the telly on' and passively watch what's on, or having it on in the background while you're doing other stuff, without having to actively choose a different programme every time one ends.

I feel with on-demand streaming, it lends itself to sitting down on an evening to watch a big drama or high budget documentary. But I couldn't imagine ever specifically choosing Homes Under The Hammer, Lingo or A Place In The Sun – the kind of programmes you might watch and enjoy, purely 'because they're on'. Maybe FAST channels are their future home, but they all seem too focused on one niche at the moment.

I also think people like how a linear schedule plays into their own routines, whether it's having The Chase on while cooking the tea, or watching the News at One whilst having a sandwich.

I agree with those saying that some of the more repeat-based channels might struggle to find audiences in future, perhaps being replaced by FAST channels, but I don't see the likes of BBC One and ITV1 going anywhere soon.

Agree. I'm finding myself using streaming much less for new content now and more for old content (I've stuck with Brookside far longer than I thought I would).

Frankly as well some of the biggest shows have become too much of a commitment too - shorter series now perhaps but often longer episodes and usually a multi-year plan and often spin-offs too, and often require alot of concentrationnowadays too. Actually given me an appreciation of the half hour soap format.

We're not big telly watchers, but come the darker Autumn and Winter evenings we do find ourselves watching more telly than usual and much of what we do watch is on line.

Having recently watched TPTV's re-run of 'The Gold Robbers' of a Monday evening we got to the point where we actually looked forward to seeing each Monday's episode as it was transmitted, we anticipated it, we looked forward to it. It took me back to the days of 3 Channel TV when this was normal practice - looking forward to the next episode of something on a weekly basis. I actually got a buzz out of that feeling.

When we watch something via streaming, Netflix etc, we do tend to binge watch. Thinking on it. it can be a bit like eating too much chocolate in one go - you're filled up but perhaps regret the experience - then you look for another box of chocolates, rinse and repeat.

I think linear tv still has life left in it.

(20-12-2023, 06:23 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  Agree. I'm finding myself using streaming much less for new content now and more for old content (I've stuck with Brookside far longer than I thought I would).

Frankly as well some of the biggest shows have become too much of a commitment too - shorter series now perhaps but often longer episodes and usually a multi-year plan and often spin-offs too, and often require alot of concentrationnowadays too. Actually given me an appreciation of the half hour soap format.

We were just like that with Coronation street. When it was twice weekly we'd record it and view it later, but as they increased the number of weekly episodes we weren't prepared to devote that much time to it despite the appeal and so stopped watching. Is Annie Walker still in it?
[-] The following 2 users Like Bluecortina's post:
  • Brekkie, Tim G

A really good point about the rewards of waiting a week for an episode. I also think with many plots being more complicated than they were 20 years ago you need the time in between episodes to digest things. I'd have probably watched the second run of Vigil if it had aired weekly - but released all in one go just before Christmas and aired over just 10 nights was too much in too short a time at this point of the year.

I also feel something like Brassic works really well as a weekly comedy drama to pick you up on a midweek evening, but watching it back to back as a boxset you realise that episodes have a formula and they stick to it.