Countdown

Today's episode of Countdown (2:10pm, Channel 4) will be Les Dennis' first of ten programmes standing in for Colin Murray.

"If it's up there, I'll give you the teapot myself."
[-] The following 3 users Like DavidWhitfield's post:
  • DE88, Ma76, WhisperOfCinnamon

Very amusing dig at Anne from Rachel “anyone who hasn’t watched in the last few weeks will think Anne Robinson’s latest face lift makes her look even younger”.

I think it’s fair to say they’re glad she’s gone.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Jon's post:
  • DE88

I hadn't realised until watching it back that Les had been the intended Dictionary Corner guest. I bet the production team couldn't believe their luck that on the day when their host was off sick they had one of the country's most iconic gameshow hosts already booked, and ready to look very much at home.

I don't think any of the other guests they've had on in recent weeks would have been able to step up, Jenny Ryan perhaps
[-] The following 5 users Like Steve in Pudsey's post:
  • bilky asko, DE88, Ma76, thePineapple, TJTSW

Good thread here about how the original French version of Countdown has been demoted to weekends and the 2 long standing hosts have quit.

twitter.com 

That’s the Rachel and Susie that have gone. The main presenter I think has also been there since about 1992. It’s funny whilst the talent has changed around quite a bit in that time in the UK the format has more or less stayed the same apart from changed in durations meaning more rounds. In France they’ve got lots of different rounds added over the years including a solo player end game.

It’s a very different show and lacks the charm of our version, with no big clock and quite bland music. Probably a perfectly fine show in its own right but a bit generic compared to ours.

Moving it to weekends does suggest they’re trying to slowly kill it off without anyone noticing.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Jon's post:
  • DE88

I watched Countdown today, and I noticed a few things of note:

[*]Russell Kane and Colin Murray did some rather energetic dancing to the Countdown theme tune during the credits
[*]There was the sound of a dog howling at the end of the show (a callback to an earlier video clip)
[*]Most shocking of all... the letter tiles were centred in the slots on the letters board

Because I can't say I'm a daily viewer of Countdown, I had no idea when this change had taken place. So, having looked at some YouTube clips, and then having narrowed the time down, onto All4, it appears the change happened on 22nd August, on the date of Colin Murray's return to the chair from coronavirus.

It does mean the letter tiles, after just a few selections, start to look very untidy in their stacks.

I'm not sure even the Countdown wiki documents this sort of detail, but there you go!
[-] The following 1 user Likes bilky asko's post:
  • TVFan

Countdown is having guest hosts for the next four weeks and they are: Floella Benjamin, Trevor McDonald, Richard Coles and Moira Stuart.

Great to see Moira back on TV, but Colin will be back for the rest of the series from 28th November onwards which is good because he is a very good host.

Edit: a tweet confirming it: mobile.twitter.com 
[-] The following 2 users Like Yorksman's post:
  • Happy2001, Ma76

BIG MOIRA alert!!! Fantastic news!!!

An article about Countdown with some interviews with former series champions:

news.sky.com 

Also, a tweet from Colin about the viewing figures:
mobile.twitter.com 

It's safe to say the programme is definitely in a better state than it was a year ago.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Yorksman's post:
  • DE88

Has Colin actually been confirmed as the permanent host yet, or is he still officially looking after things on a temporary basis?