FOX Owned Streamer - Tubi Expands to the UK

(02-07-2024, 10:25 AM)gottago Wrote:  On first glance it's yet another cheap feeling free streaming service with shows you can already find in plenty of other places - it's yet another place to watch Fresh Meat for example.

But some of the films mentioned in some articles aren't up there yet so chances are they've got much more impressive libraries to add soon.

Amsterdam which came in 2022 is on there now as well as Pacific Rim: Uprising and The Twilight films.

It's not great in terms of overall content but I think I'd use it because A. it's free with ads and B. it's usable which can't be said for Pluto which is just clunky.

I wonder if the likes of Pluto, Tubi and Freevee can't compete on the level in the UK because of the broadcasters VOD service like ITVX, iPlayer etc which have plenty of content and more importantly usable.

Strangely no apps yet. I'd have thought watching on phones/tablets is a massive battleground for streamers and thus would have been made a priority for the launch?

I stuck Tubi on my Firestick.
I am so pleased there is no option to watch captions in Comic Sans, because nobody deserves that fate.

At the moment it sort of looks like a random collection of stuff from all over the place, some of which I know is on the likes of Prime and Netflix and Disney+, so may be a case of contractual reasons.

And I managed to break the whole app by just picking one programme, it doesn't seem to like it if I select "All episodes" of Mythbusters (only wanted to see if it said which narrator it had, though most likely the American one), but it let me see 30 seasons worth of Joy of Painting (apart from the very first season). Couldn't get out of the "Aw Snap!" screen, had to stop the app in the Firestick menu before I could use it again.

But yes the comparisons to Pluto are valid, and this looks really nice, Tubi does. Haven't tried playing anything yet mind but there's time. What I've seen I like in terms of presentation.

(02-07-2024, 06:01 PM)what Wrote:  Strangely no apps yet. I'd have thought watching on phones/tablets is a massive battleground for streamers and thus would have been made a priority for the launch?

I downloaded the app (android).

Promptly deleted, nothing worth watching. Big Grin

Tubi in the US/Canada has a massive library. Again its likely due it rights issues in UK that its not a deep....yet. I wouldnt abandon it so quickly . For those expecting to get 1st run Hollywood films from last year FOR FREE. Think again. Though FOX is constantly adding new programmes. I just fired up the VPN. I noticed the websites are different. Does the UK version not have the live streaming channels feature? It resembles a traditional EPG. Interesting. Maybe thats just available on the app or something.

There's no "live" anything on the Fire TV version of Tubi.

(02-07-2024, 06:50 PM)eyeTV Wrote:  I downloaded the app (android).

Promptly deleted, nothing worth watching. Big Grin

I did find it in the end. Not the top result searching for Tubi on the App Store, nor did it come up in Spotlight Search. Something I'd imagine they'd want to get fixed ASAP, especially since free streaming rivals are above them in the search results.

(03-07-2024, 07:35 AM)Neil Jones Wrote:  There's no "live" anything on the Fire TV version of Tubi.

Thats weird. In the US/Canada Tubi has over 260 live channels.

(03-07-2024, 10:42 PM)mouseboy33 Wrote:  Thats weird. In the US/Canada Tubi has over 260 live channels.

And some local news feeds from Fox and I think Hearst feature on US Tubi including Fox Washington D.C. and Fox Los Angeles.

Tubi's more of a one stop shop I believe in the US rather than just a jumble sale of random titles that the UK offering is at this time.