BBC/ITV South News

And as is almost to be expected these days, the recycling of some old set elements - the sofa and coffee table from the old set were used for their studio out in the car park rather than the ones from the current set…

I live in London, so I don't usually get to see South Today -- but I must say, tonight's 1830 bulletin was an excellent programme.

Well thought-out, with a nice, casual (and not-too-preachy) tone, some interesting features, and excellent use of a range of presentation elements (including some very old-school weather pres!) to highlight various aspects of carbon consumption and the impact of climate change. Using the production of the programme itself to raise awareness and improve understanding of an important topic was, I think, a splendid idea, very nicely executed.

In my opinion, a really lovely job by the South Today team.

Some screenshots from the programme follow for anyone who missed it...

- - -

"Hello, and welcome to South Today..."
ibb.co 

"...a very green South Today. Tonight, we're talking carbon, and we're starting right here..."
ibb.co 

"...which means we can't use these screens..."
ibb.co 

"...we can't use these lights..."
ibb.co 

"...and we can't use..."
ibb.co 
[-] The following 1 user Likes LDN's post:
  • Pompeytv

"...this camera."
ibb.co 

View from external studio door towards unlit set:
ibb.co 

OB truck with BBC South branding (get used to seeing the Beeb's old Gill Sans logo everywhere...):
ibb.co 

Rooftop intro:
ibb.co 

Outdoor sofa and desk, wide shot:
ibb.co 

Outdoor sofa and desk, tight shot:
ibb.co 

Sofa, tight solo shot:
ibb.co 

Outdoor sofa and desk, overhead drone shot:
ibb.co 

Outdoor sofa and desk, rear angle:
ibb.co 

Weather report with old-school physical symbols...
ibb.co 

...but all designed in the current BBC Weather style:
ibb.co 

Outdoor pres area, super-wide shot:
ibb.co 

(...and WOW, the limit on links in a post is infuriating. I can't include more than five screenshots in a single post, because there's a limit of five URLs per post? Eugh.)

Somewhat tangentially related, but given this was a green news special on carbon emissions, I would be remiss if I didn't mention that posting 17 already compressed broadcast screen captures in PNG format rather than using the more appropriate compressed JPEG or lossy WEBP format does in itself have a surprising carbon impact when it comes to digital footprints.

These 17 screengrabs alone took up 19.5mb, which following the formula worked out by Sustainable Web Design group equates to approximately 6.5-7g of CO2 emissions and would give the worst possible 'F' rating. In JPEG at quality level 85 this could have been reduced by 90% to 1.8mb, or about 0.65g and resulted in a D rating (in lossy WEBP this could have gone even further but software support for the format is more limited).

sustainablewebdesign.org 

A good reminder that whether working on the production team at BBC South Today, or simply posting about pres on a forum, we can all make a difference in our own small ways. Smile And it's something some of us on the admin team are passionate enough about to be looking at improvements we can make to the software in great detail too to help with!
[-] The following 9 users Like Frappé's post:
  • Cappuccino, harshy, JosiahStuart, LDN, London Lite, Michael Wotton, Rob Francis, thePineapple, TVHead

(Yesterday, 01:21 AM)LDN Wrote:  I live in London, so I don't usually get to see South Today -- but I must say, tonight's 1830 bulletin was an excellent programme.

Well thought-out, with a nice, casual (and not-too-preachy) tone, some interesting features, and excellent use of a range of presentation elements (including some very old-school weather pres!) to highlight various aspects of carbon consumption and the impact of climate change. Using the production of the programme itself to raise awareness and improve understanding of an important topic was, I think, a splendid idea, very nicely executed.

In my opinion, a really lovely job by the South Today team.
From looking at the screenshots it looks similar to what Look East did a few years ago, ref www.bbc.co.uk .

These special programmes are good, though it could be argued that they are to an extent are greenwashing. For what it's worth there's an article on last night's episode at www.bbc.co.uk .

Formerly 'Charlie Wells' of TV Forum.

It was a really enjoyable programme and I'd recommend catching it on iPlayer if you can, before it goes this evening. Fun glimpses behind the curtain at BBC Southampton. I'd never twigged that the main studio backs almost immediately onto the car park/loading bay, but I suppose it's logical! Alexis' magnetic weather forecast was really nicely done, particularly the graphic design, it's a shame that segment was marred by minor microphone problems.

One thing that didn't quite land, for me, was making a big deal of switching off the LED studio screens (though it was great as a pres fan) when we know that the LED screens in these new sets use a substantial amount of power, and buildings have had to undergo quite significant electrical engineering work to allow the studios to draw sufficient energy. I don't think there's any intent to deceive or greenwash, but it did feel like a slight double standard. (But the screens are gorgeous, so I don't mind too much)
[-] The following 1 user Likes IanJRedman's post:
  • LDN

And Jon Cuthill presenting the main 6:30 programme for the first time. Normally on Tuesday it is Sally Taylor.