BBC to explore how to reform the TVL, the DG says

(17-07-2024, 12:09 PM)Technologist Wrote:  Would two tier mean that the bbc.com content on bbc.co.uk in the uk would be part of the subscription …. And would bbc food also be subscription… ?

Well, these are things that you don't currently need a TV licence for. It would be a difficult decision for the BBC to decide to put what the public regard as "free stuff" behind a paywall, but if needs be, so be it.

(18-07-2024, 04:34 AM)tellyblues Wrote:  Well, these are things that you don't currently need a TV licence for. It would be a difficult decision for the BBC to decide to put what the public regard as "free stuff" behind a paywall, but if needs be, so be it.
I think the concept of a CT precept is not justified and many people won't accept it. 20% of households already don't meet the criteria for a TVL. It can't be forced any more than I can be made to use Waitrose for my shopping.

I pay CT precepts for Devon & Cornwall Police, Devon & Somerset Fire Brigade and Adult Care. They are essential services to many. Strictly and EastEnders are not. News is available online from many sources.

They need a solution, but forcing payment hasn't worked. They've simply pushed more people away to alternatives. Subscription will provide an income, perhaps enough to run one or two TV channels and a single national radio service.

I agree that people don't like paying for something they won't directly benefit from but I also don't think they'd be in favour of TV in the UK getting to a stage where content is produced primarily for commercial reasons and PSB disappears because it isn't profitable. Maybe they don't care, but they watch TV and the choice of what they want to watch has been influenced by having choice and the range of content including PSB they have been brought up with.

It is important then (well, just my opinion) that PSB remains prominent for future generations and it can only do so if the BBC maintains its status. When other broadcasters are wanting their PSB commitments to be reduced, you have to wonder where it will end - the BBC as the sole PSB provider when more and more people are not paying the licence fee?

There's no doubt that the BBC's less PSB, more entertainment content raises the profile of PSB but it tends to be more expensive to produce. If the BBC is having to make cuts then it shouldn't be services that others aren't providing. A two tier system would enable the BBC to safeguard PSB and cut back on content which is less so. Maybe they can do that already without a major overhaul. More repeats, moving content from other channels? I dunno.

The problem is taking stuff away from people. The ability to have multiple channels and throw money at them to start with has backfired as the core BBC1 viewer hasn't had to be inconvenienced by kids TV and young-skewing shows for so long and other viewers have moved to other platforms partly because of the perception that the BBC doesn't care about them. The channels created for them haven't been promoted well and have relied heavily on repeats, far more than BBC1 "the channel for old folks", so you can understand how the resentment and self entitlement from both parties has come about. It's a general indifference which the BBC should be doing to stop, not helping to flourish.
[-] The following 1 user Likes tellyblues's post:
  • Spencer