Sky News

I take it that we're not expecting new graphics for Sky News tonight?
They have a habit of launching a new look with elections, but there's been none of the telltale signs, from what I've seen.

Well find out in nine minutes or so

As expected a nicely remixed and pitched - up theme

(04-07-2024, 08:50 PM)news junkie Wrote:  I take it that we're not expecting new graphics for Sky News tonight?
They have a habit of launching a new look with elections, but there's been none of the telltale signs, from what I've seen.

They look the same to me! Not a regular viewer though!

Volunteering. It's #GoodForYou!

One thing that is notable here, apart from how much has happened politically in the last 14 years, is how the graphics (the ticker especially) have got subtly bigger as time has gone on. At 0:17 (2010) it is really tiny, getting a bit bigger by 7:00 (2019) and far bigger by 11:20 (2023). Guess that is near universal across TV graphics really.

youtu.be 

It's amazing to me how gorgeous those HD 2010 graphics still look. Replacing them with the 2015 look was a crime. Thankfully the 2021 refresh came when it did.
[-] The following 3 users Like JK08's post:
  • fanoftv, Jeff, VMPhil

(10-07-2024, 02:05 AM)RhysJR Wrote:  One thing that is notable here, apart from how much has happened politically in the last 14 years, is how the graphics (the ticker especially) have got subtly bigger as time has gone on. At 0:17 (2010) it is really tiny, getting a bit bigger by 7:00 (2019) and far bigger by 11:20 (2023). Guess that is near universal across TV graphics really.

youtu.be 

You have to remember the 2010 footage is from the Sky News HD channel which had different graphics from the SD channel (which most of us only had access to). So they could use the screen space as much as possible then with extra side panels as well.

[Image: 1592580878_1869298444.svg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes VMPhil's post:
  • RhysJR

The Westminster backdrop has been updated to something a little more seasonal. Looks much better than version with the trees having no leaves.

[-] The following 8 users Like Andy's post:
  • AJB39, AndrewP, bkman1990, Jayesyn, Langham, matthieu1221, Michael 18, UTVLifer

Also hides the not very elegant buildings in the skyline on Victoria Street/Millbank!

Regarding the various graphics, you'd think that with people getting higher definition screens that smaller graphics could be afforded, I guess not! Same story over in France!

The trend at the moment appears to be designing for the smallest viewport, which means using XL graphics across the board so that mobile is catered for.

Sky's method of having slightly different graphics sets for SD and HD back in 2010 was more elegant, but it probably required much more effort to maintain on a daily basis.

Interestingly, they've also done some tests on automatically switching 16:9 content to a vertical layout for socials and mobile in the last couple of years, but that ended relatively quickly, so it probably wasn't seen as being valuable enough.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Andy's post:
  • fanoftv