Broadcaster rebrands that took forever

(08-08-2022, 07:14 PM)Blubatt Wrote:  Generally, I don't think Television companies are really that slow when it comes to rebrands. Its only really the BBC as of late that has struggled to facelift the multi-headed hydra of a corporation that it is.

TVP of Poland would LOVE to have a word with you.

That"ll take years to finally botch up.

It wasn’t quite forever, but I remember in 1999 seeing many newspaper adverts for Channel 4 using blue vertical lines and a boxed orange logo months before the idents and presentation updated in April. I remember seeing them for Queer as Folk and South Park, and possibly daytime.

(12-08-2022, 11:22 AM)fanoftv Wrote:  It wasn’t quite forever, but I remember in 1999 seeing many newspaper adverts for Channel 4 using blue vertical lines and a boxed orange logo months before the idents and presentation updated in April. I remember seeing them for Queer as Folk and South Park, and possibly daytime.

I suppose it balances out those newspaper TV guide pages that would have logos that were a couple of decades out of date.

Is it fair to say C4 2015/17? Phase 1 (with the broken up blocks breakbumpers and promos and... plain weird idents) came in September 2015. Phase 2 (with breakbumpers that finally had a solved C4 logo) came in June 2017.

Still bummed that they never solved the story idents though.

(12-08-2022, 02:26 PM)CCFG Wrote:  Is it fair to say C4 2015/17? Phase 1 (with the broken up blocks breakbumpers and promos and... plain weird idents) came in September 2015. Phase 2 (with breakbumpers that finally had a solved C4 logo) came in June 2017.

Still bummed that they never solved the story idents though.

I feel like the 'solved logo' was never part of the original plan. Didn't a new head of branding (or similar job title) start at C4 in 2017 and very soon afterwards the break bumpers (and idents that used the block pieces, such as the Simpsons ident and the F1 ident) changed to the 'solved logo' - very clearly an adaptation from the original (2015) branding and brought in by the new head.

I guess that those 2017 changes could be considered a 'rebrand that took forever', though - in that we saw the 'solved logo' change very quickly indeed following the new management, whereas it took until the end of October 2017 for the new (block man) idents to launch and presumably both of these changes from the 2015 branding were initiated by the new management.

Here's a BBC2 example from 1981, using a News slide with the old logo and then the stripey 2 clock

www.youtube.com 
[-] The following 2 users Like Steve in Pudsey's post:
  • DE88, sparky_75

(09-08-2022, 10:48 PM)Isonstine Wrote:  Highway, which was produced by various ITV companies depending on the location disagrees:

www.youtube.com 
Huh, that music seems familiar... but I would've only been four years old when that aired!

Has an ITV Presents frontcap - I assume just a few months before they stopped using frontcaps?

About Britain was another strand with the same ITV Presents frontcap. A rare Channel produced episode here:

www.youtube.com 

Talking of Highway, this must be the record for the most ITV companies on an endcap?

www.youtube.com 
[-] The following 1 user Likes Steve in Pudsey's post:
  • DE88

(13-08-2022, 01:55 PM)Steve in Pudsey Wrote:  Here's a BBC2 example from 1981, using a News slide with the old logo and then the stripey 2 clock

www.youtube.com 

Not actually the 1974 - 1979 '2'. It was a special stylised '2' used for BBC Two news programmes in the autumn of 1981.

It was short-lived:

cleanfeed.thetvroom.com 
[-] The following 3 users Like Clean Feed's post:
  • DE88, Steve in Pudsey, Stuart

What about the implementation of 'boxed' BBC logos, does this count?

I mean, for me, there had been a slow rollout of 'boxed' logos, starting on BBC Two in 2001, followed by Four and One, respectively, in '02, then on Three in '03. I think other BBC services/channels followed suit since the Two's 2001 rebrand.