Broadcaster rebrands that took forever

Admittedly, it's not just the BBC, I know in Supermarket terms, both Sainbury's and Somerfield had lengthy periods using 2 different logos at the same time, and so did Comet.
[-] The following 1 user Likes James2001's post:
  • DE88

(07-08-2022, 08:17 PM)James2001 Wrote:  Admittedly, it's not just the BBC, I know in Supermarket terms, both Sainbury's and Somerfield had lengthy periods using 2 different logos at the same time, and so did Comet.

Walking around my "local" Sainsbury's (which admittedly I don't do very often) the previous two logos are still very visible in different sections. 

One of the biggest companies in the world, Apple has been guilty of slow rollout too. Their previous glossy logo mostly stopped being used shorty after Steve Jobs passed, but wasn't completely gone until 2016 - about 4 years later
[-] The following 1 user Likes MFTJA's post:
  • DE88

Generally, I don't think Television companies are really that slow when it comes to rebrands. Its only really the BBC as of late that has struggled to facelift the multi-headed hydra of a corporation that it is.

[Image: blu97.png]
[-] The following 1 user Likes Blubatt's post:
  • Rijowhi

BBC1 were using the stripey logo on slides and Futura on the mirror globe for quite a long period.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Steve in Pudsey's post:
  • DE88

ITV certainly seem faster at changes than the BBC. Sometimes even as brutal as 'erasing' parts of their history more efficiently than a paranoid Soviet Dictator.

Although occasionally we get a glimpse of an old regional ident, they have quite often redone credit sequences to to remove old company names and replace the copyright with 'ITV Studios', which is something only a Pres Geek like me would notice.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Stuart's post:
  • Rijowhi

Back when weekday and Saturday morning CITV still existed, in the mid 00s CITV had an ident that showed the 3D blue and yellow ITV1 logo get hit by a wrecking ball or blown up by lightning. I remember the day when ITV switched to the 4 separated blocks logo, someone on TV Forum commented that CITV were still using their idents with the old ITV1 logo. I also remember months later seeing the lightning ident with the old ITV1 logo before Ministry of Mayhem.

I also remember a month after the 4 separated blocks logo got introduced, there was an episode of Coronation Street that showed one of the ITV1 idents with the old logo.

When CBBC introduced their current multicoloured C logo, I remember a couple of episodes of The Dumping Ground season 4 (the then-current season) aired still showing the old white letters on green background logo in the end credits. Although these were eventually re-edited to carry the new logo.

I remember watching the Disney Channel years ago on holiday in Malaysia where they had a short program called "Hidden Mickey", which showed where the Mickey Mouse logo appeared in Disney films. The opening titles featured the blue and red Disney Channel logo in the shape of Mickey's head. When Disney Channel switched to a new logo which had the mouse head logo drawn by a line around the mid-to-late 00s, for a while they still used the Hidden Mickey opening with the old Disney Channel logo.

EDIT: I've remembered another one. Years ago on holiday in Malaysia c2013, I saw that ITV had an international channel called ITV Granada. Although ITV were using the current bendy words logo in the UK, ITV Granada were still using the previous logo.

Please excuse late replies. 

ITV did have one pretty big lapse in that regard. The logo for the ITV network as a whole, often seen on trails for a new season or at Christmas:

www.youtube.com 

That was replaced in 1989 with the big "get ready for ITV" promo, but the old one remained on the ITV Schools on Channel 4/S4C service. Presumably the cost of redoing the animated graphics was considered prohibitive.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Steve in Pudsey's post:
  • Stuart

(09-08-2022, 08:59 AM)Steve in Pudsey Wrote:  BBC1 were using the stripey logo on slides and Futura on the mirror globe for quite a long period.

Think we often overlook how back-to-front this was. Whilst it wasn't unusual for an ident logo to be changed and to remain on some other presentation elements for some time after, this particular BBC One update was the reverse.  Used heavily on slides and trails since the mid-70s, with the main channel ident finally receiving the update in September 1981.

The striped "BBC" lettering remained on air until February 1991 of course, on the BBC Two test card - long after the "TWO" branding took over (in March 1986). Not aware what the official explanation for this was. Someone somewhere perhaps felt "TWO" branding on the test card wasn't appropriate - because of the lack of BBC branding.

Here's said test card, as seen in July 1989:

cleanfeed.thetvroom.com 
Web Image

(09-08-2022, 08:30 PM)Steve in Pudsey Wrote:  ITV did have one pretty big lapse in that regard.  The logo for the ITV network as a whole, often seen on trails for a new season or at Christmas:

www.youtube.com 

That was replaced in 1989 with the big "get ready for ITV" promo, but the old one remained on the ITV Schools on Channel 4/S4C service. Presumably the cost of redoing the animated graphics was considered prohibitive.

I'm not sure that ITV logo was ever entirely official anyway, even though it did appear on various promos (especially on Channel 4) and ITV Schools. I think the 1989 logo was the first proper official ITV logo, and I think there were a couple of other unofficial logos pre-1989 (I know the IBA had one they used as well). I think it was mostly Central (and ATV before 1982) that used it (and of course they were the ones responsible for ITV Schools).
[-] The following 2 users Like James2001's post:
  • DE88, Rijowhi

Highway, which was produced by various ITV companies depending on the location disagrees:

www.youtube.com 
[-] The following 1 user Likes Isonstine's post:
  • DE88