Jerry Springer has died aged 79

The Jerry Springer Show was the first show where i actually heard unbleeped profanity and adults throwing chairs at each other at the age of 13 in 1999 on UK Living. A relative bought me the Too Hot for TV release on VHS (what's that i hear you ask?) not long after i discovered this show. I remember keeping the tape in the bottom of a drawer piled with other things on top of it that nobody would go to.
[-] The following 2 users Like JasonB's post:
  • bkman1990, DeMarkay

Springer was unlike anything I'd ever seen. It was the first "trash tv" I'd ever seen. Ruby Wax had a documentary about the show.

I first watched Jerry Springer in my university years when ITV showed it late on Thursday night.

It was pretty shocking at the time. Always remember when they conveniently put a table full of food in front of warring families to throw at each other.

Here’s a clip from that two week filler:

youtu.be 

I remember watching Jerry Springer after hearing people rave about how there were all these fights and swearing... and then the first ever episode I watched was a "heartwarming" episode where nobody got anything remotely close to angry, which was a let down.

(27-04-2023, 10:15 PM)DeMarkay Wrote:  Here’s a clip from that two week filler:

youtu.be 

That's triggered my memory, I seem to recall Jerry struggling with British regional accents from the guests.

I think Tarrant on TV was probably my introduction to it - think it was pretty regularly included on the show. Indeed suspect we can pick any episode of Tarrant on TV from the 90s now and find that the content is pretty much regular stuff on mainstream UK TV nowadays. Indeed probably the same for the Springer show itself.

Also loved the musical (Jerry Springer - The Opera?) - remember there being quite a bit of controversy when BBC2 showed it and accusations it was blasphemous etc., but of course it wasn't at all and just ultimately a reflection of where we were as a society. And we've gone downhill since.

I admit I'd always have liked to see a performance of Jerry Spinger: The Opera with Jerry himself, I don't think it ever happened though.

(28-04-2023, 01:33 PM)James2001 Wrote:  I admit I'd always have liked to see a performance of Jerry Spinger: The Opera with Jerry himself, I don't think it ever happened though.

Apparently Springer saw it (in Edinburgh) and loved it and wished he'd thought of it first. But yes, don't think he appeared in it as himself anywhere (it did perform in America but I don't think he went anywhere near it)

Some bits and bobs I forgot to post.

Pluto TV in the US showed Jerry Springer and Judge Jerry non-stop for two days in tribute on their FAST Nosey branded channels.

Jerry Springer UK was a 12 episode commission produced from the NBC studios in Chicago for ITV in 1999.

The Springer Show on ITV had 40 shows commissioned. The first block between June and July 2005, with 10 episodes shown in September 2005 after Jeremy Kyle launched. This would explain why I remember it being on for two weeks, but they made five weeks worth of episodes.

The late night Springer chat show started in 2000 after a pilot was commissioned in 1999. Five episodes went out in May-June 2000 on ITV.

Channel 5 then snapped up the format and 16 episodes went out between late 2000-2001, he also presented game show Greed for C5.
[-] The following 1 user Likes London Lite's post:
  • Roger Darthwell