BBC News Pres: Jun 2024 - Present (BBC News Channel/BBC One)

So for the nations & regions opt-out we still got the 'celebrity squares', though it seemed slightly odd without having a newsreader in shot.

The News Channel is now showing Sportsday, from the same studio as the One. This might also explain why the N&R handover shot didn't have anyone in vision, as presumably a camera needed to be already in position for Sportsday.

Formerly 'Charlie Wells' of TV Forum.
[-] The following 4 users Like Keith's post:
  • bkman1990, chrisherald, interestednovice, Ma76

I actually quite like the use of the sofa. I think it helps to give the One more of its own identity, which I think is no bad thing.

It might be an unpopular opinion here, but I think a daytime news bulletin suits a slightly softer, more approachable style.

The local presenter on BBC London plugged the new election views thing as well before handing back to Sally with another segment on the late Rob Barrow standing up.
[-] The following 2 users Like London Lite's post:
  • bkman1990, interestednovice

(03-06-2024, 01:08 PM)ALV Wrote:  On the NC, it seems the BSL and flipper are generated from NBH Studio A, while the lower thirds and the rest of the graphics are from Salford… this leads to double DOG on the NC whenever the lower thirds animate…

i.gyazo.com 

I also thought it proved the point that, inevitably, you will end up with down the line interviews a lot when the top story involved a down-the-line interview with a London-based editor.

If the News at One had still been in NBH, that would probably have been an in-person interview.

It’s also a lot of standing news as they do seem a bit reluctant to use the sofa as often as other bulletins use their desk equivalent.
[-] The following 5 users Like interestednovice's post:
  • bkman1990, chrisherald, Ma76, Stuart, UTVLifer

(03-06-2024, 01:40 PM)Keith Wrote:  So for the nations & regions opt-out we still got the 'celebrity squares', though it seemed slightly odd without having a newsreader in shot.

The News Channel is now showing Sportsday, from the same studio as the One. This might also explain why the N&R handover shot didn't have anyone in vision, as presumably a camera needed to be already in position for Sportsday.

I’m guessing not having the presenter in shot is more about Sally being at the sofa with Chris and Ed immediately before, rather than necessarily that it’s by design? For the Six and Ten (and One until now) the presenter is ‘free’ to get in position for the handover because it’s the weather immediately before it.

Not sure I’d agree that this programme has featured ‘more analysis’, as its editor teased. Overall it feels more padded out than before, and a lot less analysis than, say, the BBC News at Ten would have despite its longer run time. I’m not surprised, and not even suggesting it’s a bad thing (this feeling a little more tailored to daytime television?), but it does feel like there was a missed opportunity somewhere here. They could easily have built business news into the format, for example, adding 5 or 10 minutes of content already produced for Breakfast and Business Live without needing a too-long (or under-edited) human interest report at the end.

Also not persuaded BBC One needs two weather forecasts. And the ending felt a bit abrupt - almost like they’d run out of things to say and needed to plug the news channel and app slightly awkwardly. 70 second countdown on the News Channel too.
[-] The following 9 users Like House's post:
  • alfiejmulcahy, AndrewP, bkman1990, chrisherald, interestednovice, London Lite, Ma76, oscillon, thePineapple

On the closing shot I couldn't help noticing outside the studio was a photographer taking a photo through the studio glass. Maybe someone should have asked him to either take the photo a bit earlier or wait until they were just off-air.

Formerly 'Charlie Wells' of TV Forum.
[-] The following 7 users Like Keith's post:
  • AndrewP, bkman1990, House, interestednovice, Ma76, Reith85, Stuart

(03-06-2024, 01:45 PM)Spencer Wrote:  It might be an unpopular opinion here, but I think a daytime news bulletin suits a slightly softer, more approachable style.

I understand why you might think that, but in my view news should be news - i.e. if I am watching the news at all, I want it to be proper, informative hard news. Not some kind of half-news, half-This Morning, “mid-morning matters” type thing. That just runs the risk of watering down the actual news.
[-] The following 4 users Like interestednovice's post:
  • Alessi, bkman1990, chrisherald, Stuart

I do feel the end of the bulletin seemed a little rushed, it may have been good to end with a final reminder of the headlines.
[-] The following 3 users Like South's post:
  • bkman1990, House, interestednovice

(03-06-2024, 01:53 PM)interestednovice Wrote:  It’s also a lot of standing news as they do seem a bit reluctant to use the sofa as often as other bulletins use their desk equivalent.
Quite common with new studios to do alot of standing presentation in their initial bulletins but they usually move more and more to a seated position as time moves on.
[-] The following 2 users Like Brekkie's post:
  • bkman1990, interestednovice

(03-06-2024, 01:59 PM)House Wrote:  Not sure I’d agree that this programme has featured ‘more analysis’, as its editor teased. Overall it feels more padded out than before, and a lot less analysis than, say, the BBC News at Ten would have despite its longer run time. I’m not surprised, and not even suggesting it’s a bad thing (this feeling a little more tailored to daytime television?), but it does feel like there was a missed opportunity somewhere here. They could easily have built business news into the format, for example, adding 5 or 10 minutes of content already produced for Breakfast and Business Live without needing a too-long (or under-edited) human interest report at the end.

I agree with this.

It’s difficult to put your finger on it, but the overall vibe is a bit like Breakfast - by which, I mean that it is almost a bit like they expect you to be dipping in and out of the programme, not necessarily watching the whole thing. For Breakfast, that makes sense (and each hour of Breakfast is roughly a repeat of the hour before) but I’m not sure it makes sense at lunchtime. Especially historically, when the programme was half an hour, I imagine the vast majority of viewers saw the whole thing.

I’d like a half hour much as the old format, then regional news (along with Sportsday on the NC) then the later half could be structured business and possibly some analysis or longer form reporting pieces to end. The weather could go before the regional handover, then the programme could finish around 1:57, with the second weather NC-exclusive and BBC One going to trailers ahead of a 2pm programme.
[-] The following 5 users Like interestednovice's post:
  • AndrewP, bkman1990, chrisherald, House, xlalonce