GB News (June 2024 - Present)

(27-06-2024, 09:43 AM)Fish92 Wrote:  GBNews pushed it a lot last year, but barely mentioned on screen this year from what I saw. I would have completely forgot about the TRIC Awards if not for Matt Chorley of Times Radio pushing heavily for him to get a win. It does expose a hole in logic of some of their most vocal critics who will simultaneously claim "nobody watches GBNews" while also saying "they can only win in popularity contests" (I'm not implying you're one of these people). It stands to reason that if someone is so engaged with a TV personality's social media as to fill in forms on their say so, they probably watch their TV programme as well.
Oh there’s absolutely no value in these awards - whoever wins them. Matt Chorley begging for votes is equally as bad as anyone at GB News doing it, and who really wants an award for merely shouting the loudest (unless you’re the marketing department)?

(27-06-2024, 07:42 PM)leewilliams Wrote:  Oh there’s absolutely no value in these awards - whoever wins them. Matt Chorley begging for votes is equally as bad as anyone at GB News doing it, and who really wants an award for merely shouting the loudest (unless you’re the marketing department)?

The industry in general (and especially ITV) have always cared about viewer choice awards. That's why there's no shortage of photos of the presenters of Good Morning Britain holding their annual TRIC trophy at the event each year. To claim they suddenly don't matter because GBNews swooped in and got a couple is a bit fox and grapes. Obviously it means something if a start-up that sits in the deep dark swamps of the EPG, competing in an extremely mature market, is winning popularity contests.
[-] The following 4 users Like Fish92's post:
  • Jeff, Robbie1123, Scrotnig, thomash79

Eamonn Holmes disappeared during breakfast today half way through a down the line and interview he and his Co-host were doing. He wasn’t referenced on air again from what I can them tell. www.independent.co.uk 

During the Camilla Tominey show the DOG disappeared, I assume this also wasn’t referenced either, it does however appear to be back at the time of writing this.

One thing I’m surprised about is they’ve not tried do some big set piece debates featuring figures from the parties, although I’m sure it would be difficult to get some of the bigger names in the way the other channels have managed to, together at the same time.

I noticed even LBC had a ‘smaller parties’ which you’d think something like that would have been right up GB News’s street. Although I suspect they’d quite want the votes not going to the main parties to be going to Reform, so perhaps that plays a part in their thinking.

I noticed the Farage and Rees-Mogg shows are back in the schedule next week. I guess one could have just become an MP and the other just lost his seat. So perhaps they’ll swap slots at some point.

Yes it's been a surprisingly low key election for GB News, when it should have been their big moment. Especially when the 'party' they're so closely linked with has had a bit of a resurgence, it's a surprise they've not been more a part of the conversation, albeit on non regulated platforms.

I would normally see clips from their programmes shared on social media - both official and unofficial, but there's been fewer during the campaign than normal times. Even the negative chatter about them has disappeared, they're not making a splash at all.

(02-07-2024, 09:07 PM)Jon Wrote:  I noticed even LBC had a ‘smaller parties’ which you’d think something like that would have been right up GB News’s street. Although I suspect they’d quite want the votes not going to the main parties to be going to Reform, so perhaps that plays a part in their thinking.

The party leaders in the LBC smaller parties debate are all regular guests on GBNews, so that cannot be true.
The vast majority of the people working at GBNews are alumni of BBC, Sky, ITN etc, not secret Reform UK operatives.

I decided to watch Patrick Christys show tonight and it seems the picture quality is really bad - pixellating a few times - this has nothing to do with my Freesat box, signal strength and quality at 100% and other channels are perfect

Someone said GB News pixellates a lot, is this down their their already dodgy service, which looks very jumpy on screen - anyone else notice?

(03-07-2024, 09:20 PM)JMT1985 Wrote:  I decided to watch Patrick Christys show tonight and it seems the picture quality is really bad - pixellating a few times - this has nothing to do with my Freesat box, signal strength and quality at 100% and other channels are perfect

Someone said GB News pixellates a lot, is this down their their already dodgy service, which looks very jumpy on screen - anyone else notice?

Absolutely I don’t know what has happened but in recent weeks the quality and frame rate has been a mess. I hoped it was just temporary while they worked on the studio refresh but it has continued.

(04-07-2024, 03:56 PM)radiorebel Wrote:  Absolutely I don’t know what has happened but in recent weeks the quality and frame rate has been a mess. I hoped it was just temporary while they worked on the studio refresh but it has continued.
I wonder if they changed some camera settings to reflect the incoming set, as someone decided it would look better. I think one of issues is Erron Gordon is presumbly no longer there to oversee his vision and make tweaks as when necessary.

As for last night I think it largely looked quite poor, certain shots looked nice but the lighting on the wide shots looked quite dodgy. I wonder if they’ve added some new camera equipment that doesn’t quite match the older stuff. In general sometimes it looks really nice and other times, it looks a mess and there is a lot of noise on screen.

As for the election coverage, the studio bits seemed pretty solid editorially. The ‘Watch Party’ could have been better with more of a variety views in the audience, I know that’s not the audience the channel is going for, but it would have made better TV as on paper that sort of format should have been right up my street but I found it a bit unwatchable. I think it probably would have also benefited from the Headliners team running that event to give it a bit of a point of difference.

Will Farage & Rees-Mogg return to GB News, now that the election is over? I hope they rectify the YouTube-like poor quality frame rate on the channel and speed up the ticker which has recently slowed to a crawl for some reason, before they do.

(07-07-2024, 09:51 AM)Juicy Joe Wrote:  Will Farage & Rees-Mogg return to GB News, now that the election is over? I hope they rectify the YouTube-like poor quality frame rate on the channel and speed up the ticker which has recently slowed to a crawl for some reason, before they do.
GB News' website has them as being on a 7pm and 8pm respectively tonight. However I have no idea of whether their website's TV schedules page is kept up-to-date.

I'd have thought Rees-Mogg would likely return, given that he's now a former MP, which presumably means one less potential issue with OFCOM. Similarly I imagine that Lee Anderson will resume his weekly show.

Farage is less certain, as in theory his time should now be split between being a serving MP and party leader. It wouldn't surprise me if the not too distant future he ends up switching to a weekly (or twice-weekly) show, rather than a weeknight one. I imagine there's a mutual interest in him still appearing on the channel in some form, even with GB News' reported financial losses.

Formerly 'Charlie Wells' of TV Forum.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Keith's post:
  • Juicy Joe

This is a Proactively Moderated Thread