Wimbledon 2024

There has been some discussion elsewhere, but as it had its own thread last year, I thought it would be sensible to do likewise this year.

pres.cafe 

As last year, the BBC coverage will be presented by Clare Balding and Isa Guha, with Qasa Alom hosting Today at Wimbledon. Ash Barty, Nick Kyrgios and Robbie Koenig are new names on commentary this year, whilst I am pleased to see Chanda Rubin returning after a few years of not appearing. Sania Mirza and John Inverdale drop out from last year's team, whilst Laura Robson returns to the radio coverage.

Not sure if it is poor wording or not, but the John McEnroe-voiced BBC trailer suggests that all eighteen courts will have UHD coverage; that will be a significant upgrade on the previous arrangement of just Centre Court being in UHD, so I am skeptical of my own interpretation.

www.bbc.co.uk 

The world feed intro on the qualifying competition is once again just a rehash of this year''s official trailer. I think this is one of the better versions of this trailer-intro concept, but still not brilliant.

Qualifying is also using the same graphics as every year since production was brought in house in 2018. A shame as I find thse some of the worst tennis graphics in use (the lack of sets scores one big reason).

www.youtube.com 

Further afield, Wimbledon has extended its deal with Warner Bros. Discovery in 11 European territories - and confirms that the Eurosport UK coverage of daily highlights and live coverage of the singles finals will continue.

www.wimbledon.com 

In Ireland, Premier Sports will again show live coverage. Premier Sports 1 will air daily coverage from start of play to finish (nothing on Premier Sports 2 from what I can see).

In Germany and Austria, rights have transferred from Sky to Prime Video. Quite interesting that as Prime Video UK has given up completely on tennis, Prime Video Germany has started covering the sport.

www.aboutamazon.de 

From what I can see, ESPN in the USA will air every match on one streaming service, ESPN+. In previous years, Centre Court, No.1 and No.2 Courts were in full on ESPN 3, with everything else on ESPN+, but sense has prevailed and everything is in the same place. Truly groundbreaking.
Extensive coverage on ESPN and ESPN 2 as well of course.

espnpressroom.com 

Agree regarding the graphics - and even though they're smaller the positioning and lack of useful information means they feel more intrusive than those used for Queens and Eastbourne.

Wimbledon had such a great world feed intro a few years ago which felt appropriate for it's status.

youtu.be 
[-] The following 1 user Likes Brekkie's post:
  • RhysJR

(26-06-2024, 01:20 AM)RhysJR Wrote:  

Further afield, Wimbledon has extended its deal with Warner Bros. Discovery in 11 European territories - and confirms that the Eurosport UK coverage of daily highlights and live coverage of the singles finals will continue.

www.wimbledon.com 

In Ireland, Premier Sports will again show live coverage. Premier Sports 1 will air daily coverage from start of play to finish (nothing on Premier Sports 2 from what I can see).

I'm told Radzi Chinyanganya will be presenting the nightly highlights and finals on Eurosport for the UK audience, which makes a change from Babsi and Mats. Normally the commentary for highlights is the world feed and then they do their own for the finals (often preferable in my opinion)

Premier Sports 2 is the same channel in UK and Ireland now, isn't it? So I wouldn't expect any coverage on PS2. I don't appear to get any listings in Digiguide for PS2 Ireland anymore.
[-] The following 1 user Likes dvboy's post:
  • RhysJR

(26-06-2024, 01:23 PM)dvboy Wrote:  I'm told Radzi Chinyanganya will be presenting the nightly highlights and finals on Eurosport for the UK audience, which makes a change from Babsi and Mats. Normally the commentary for highlights is the world feed and then they do their own for the finals (often preferable in my opinion)

Interesting. That makes sense with Barbara Schett part of the extensive Prime Video Germany team. Though saying that, I would prefer Babsi and Mats over Radzi.

I think I might try the Eurosport finals coverage this year as Andrew Castle was already getting on my nerves last week. This video that I saw gaining traction last week was quite something. Is it usually Simon Reed/Chris Bradnam on their finals commentary?

twitter.com 

(26-06-2024, 03:04 PM)RhysJR Wrote:  I think I might try the Eurosport finals coverage this year as Andrew Castle was already getting on my nerves last week. This video that I saw gaining traction last week was quite something. Is it usually Simon Reed/Chris Bradnam on their finals commentary?

last three men's finals
2023: Simon Reed and Miles Maclagan
2022: Simon Reed and Miles Maclagan
2021: Chris Bradnam and Miles Maclagan

last three women's finals
2023: Guy McCrea and Melanie South
2022: Chris Bradnam and Naomi Broady
2021: Simon Reed and Jo Durie
  • RhysJR

Just looking at the second week's schedules they are still having Politics Live on BBC Two at 12:15, so there is a bounce over to BBC One for 45 minutes like in the first three days, and then Tuesday-Thursday sees 30 mins on BBC One (12:30 start) before going over to BBC Two

Won't someone at the BBC see some common sense and just put Politics Live on BBC One for the two weeks instead?
  • AJB39

Common sense and Wimbledon scheduling has never been a thing. It's even worse this year with the extended News at One.

They might as well have the full morning block on BBC1 if they're having 45 minutes, especially as there is less afternoon coverage due to the football and election (and extended news).
[-] The following 4 users Like Brekkie's post:
  • ACTV, AJB39, Ma76, UTVLifer

Not ideal for the BBC schedulers that Andy Murray is due to play on Tuesday, likely clashing with their live football at 17:00. This is of course presuming that he will walk onto court at all, which I fear the possibility might be slim.
[-] The following 1 user Likes RhysJR's post:
  • UTVLifer

(27-06-2024, 06:07 PM)dvboy Wrote:  Just looking at the second week's schedules they are still having Politics Live on BBC Two at 12:15, so there is a bounce over to BBC One for 45 minutes like in the first three days, and then Tuesday-Thursday sees 30 mins on BBC One (12:30 start) before going over to BBC Two

Won't someone at the BBC see some common sense and just put Politics Live on BBC One for the two weeks instead?

Politics Live would never ever replace Bargain Hunt, PL would be like ratings plutonium!