Wimbledon 2024

(09-07-2024, 08:58 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  A shame the BBC don't come on air for the early games in week 2. It feels like they used to show more doubles than they have in recent years.

I get the impression the BBC would quite like us to use the iPlayer, of where all matches are viewable. Not sure how I've got that impression watching Wimbledon and the Euros, they barely mention iPlayer at all.
[-] The following 3 users Like RhysJR's post:
  • Brekkie, interestednovice, Stuart

The iPlayer ads have bern very effective at driving viewers to the iPlayer - in order to avoid the iPlayer ads!
[-] The following 2 users Like Brekkie's post:
  • interestednovice, RhysJR

The AELTC want to build over the former Wimbledon Golf Course but there's planning objections from residents, Wandsworth Council and the Mayor of London. Oddly Merton Council, where AELTC is located did approve.

Due to an injury to and subsequent withdrawl of Alex de Minaur, there is only three singles matches today, with only one on Centre Court. Good news for organisers that there will ne a chance to have some guaranteed doubles matches (even if it looks like they have put a legends match on Centre!). Not great for TV though, with only one single match to be shown after 4pm most likely, though it is against an England match apparently.

twitter.com 
[-] The following 1 user Likes RhysJR's post:
  • Brekkie

(10-07-2024, 12:25 PM)RhysJR Wrote:  Due to an injury to and subsequent withdrawl of Alex de Minaur, there is only three singles matches today, with only one on Centre Court. Good news for organisers that there will ne a chance to have some guaranteed doubles matches (even if it looks like they have put a legends match on Centre!). Not great for TV though, with only one single match to be shown after 4pm most likely, though it is against an England match apparently.

twitter.com 

That's one way to catch up on the delayed matches.

(10-07-2024, 12:25 PM)RhysJR Wrote:  Due to an injury to and subsequent withdrawl of Alex de Minaur, there is only three singles matches today, with only one on Centre Court. Good news for organisers that there will ne a chance to have some guaranteed doubles matches (even if it looks like they have put a legends match on Centre!). Not great for TV though, with only one single match to be shown after 4pm most likely, though it is against an England match apparently.

twitter.com 

That’’s very disappointing. There really have been a lot of injuries and retirements this year. I suppose it’ll give BBC Two the opportunity to show doubles or wheelchair matches later in the afternoon.

Can't say I'll miss a Djokovic match after his antics on Monday - was going to watch other one anyway and surprised they've not moved it to Centre.

Does seem to be a number of injuries this year. Also don't get why they've deliberately slowed the courts down either considering they're usually looking at options to speed the game up.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Brekkie's post:
  • RhysJR

Can't be too many days where Centre Court's singles action is over at 14:40. They'll hope the No.1 Court match finshes with the ongoing tiebreak to ensure a clean transition of singles action to BBC One.

(10-07-2024, 02:41 PM)RhysJR Wrote:  Can't be too many days where Centre Court's singles action is over at 14:40. They'll hope the No.1 Court match finshes with the ongoing tiebreak to ensure a clean transition of singles action to BBC One.

Thankfully that happened.

Andrew Cotter on continuity on BBC Two whilst Clare is hosting on BBC One.

Surprised, but relieved, that John McEnroe hasn't been on commentary at all when I've been able to tune in today. He usually does one of the women's singles semi-final and final for the BBC. Has he appeared in any of the punditry segments today that I have missed?