Wimbledon 2024

I have to laugh at the crazy ideas here. The election coverage will be starting at 9.55pm no matter who is playing at Wimbledon.

If there's still play at 9:55 it will be shoved over to BBC2, the iplayer or the red button. They ain't delaying or moving election coverage for it no matter how many fantasy schedules get drawn up here.
[-] The following 1 user Likes James2001's post:
  • leewilliams

(29-06-2024, 01:31 AM)James2001 Wrote:  If there's still play at 9:55 it will be shoved over to BBC2, the iplayer or the red button. They ain't delaying or moving election coverage for it no matter how many fantasy schedules get drawn up here.

The point is though that if the tennis is moved to BBC 2 it won’t air in Wales or Northern Ireland due to National Election coverage airing on BBC 2 in those places. It’s all hypothetical anyway and any potential problems will hopefully be avoided by sensible Wimbledon order of play scheduling.
[-] The following 2 users Like AJB39's post:
  • Ma76, UTVLifer

I don't think anyone is seriously suggesting they'd delay the start of the election coverage, although of course other than the exit poll they're just filling for an hour anyway - especially if it's all as predicted. I guess there might be an argument that should it bounce over to BBC2 (which I think it unlikely) for BBC NI/Wales to join the network election coverage later and stick with the tennis, but suspect in that scenario they'd stick with the schedule and it would be viewers wanting to continue watching the tennis rather than the news who are instructed to watch it elsewhere.

Other than within the tennis coverage has anyone seen an ad actually promoting coverage on BBC1/2? The main ad just flags it as on the iPlayer.
[-] The following 2 users Like Brekkie's post:
  • Ma76, UTVLifer

A selection of episodes from a number of classic comedies, largely from the 90s, have been schedules for 10pm during the fortnight - nice treat if they air, easy to drop if they don't.

It's something I remember BBC2 doing during Wimbledon when I was a kid with comedies from the 60s/70s airing between the end of live coverage and Today at Wimbledon.

twitter.com 
  • Ma76, RhysJR

Citizen Khan stands out a bit amongst the other shows. Both in terms of age and popularity.
[-] The following 2 users Like James2001's post:
  • Brekkie, Ma76

Watching the official review from last year (which as ever aired on Sunday lunchtime on BBC Two) and surprised how much it felt like a BBC production this year. Whilst previously it would be narrated by a notable actor, this year it was Clare Balding at the helm, whilst it also contained a lot of BBC behind the scenes videos (i.e. the type scene on the BBC News countdown) with Clare arriving, and Isa Guha, Nesta McGregor Carol Kirkwood, as well as ESPN's studio. Nice to use some radio commentary (5 Live not the in house) with the highlights.
It was a Whisper production for th AELTC.

I though a lot of the BBC studio was AR but the pictures in the film show that the whole studio apart from the desk area is actually green screen. Hopefully there are some changes this year, the studio doesn't look the best and has no relation to any BBC Sport set.

(26-06-2024, 01:20 AM)RhysJR Wrote:  From what I can see, ESPN in the USA will air every match on one streaming service, ESPN+. In previous years, Centre Court, No.1 and No.2 Courts were in full on ESPN 3, with everything else on ESPN+, but sense has prevailed and everything is in the same place. Truly groundbreaking.
Extensive coverage on ESPN and ESPN 2 as well of course.

espnpressroom.com 

ESPN will have extended coverage with a new end of day show for the first five days, with ABC coverage on the middle weekend as well. Two guest pundits in John Isner and Nick Kyrgios.

My reading of the press release is that everything is on ESPN+, but the online schedules say the main coverage, Centre Court and No.1 Court will be streamed on ESPN 3.

espnpressroom.com 

espnpressroom.com 

No usual broadcaster has picked up the full rights to WImbldon in New Zealand. This means that apparently it will be shown on Tennis TV. I can't remember seeing or hearing anything outside of the ATP Tour and affiliated events shown on Tennis TV before, so that is a surprise.

www.nzherald.co.nz 
[-] The following 1 user Likes RhysJR's post:
  • Ma76

Really do feel the user friendliness of the red button interface has gone backwards in recent years. It was very easy to switch between matches in the linear days and for many years through the connected red button, able to flick through the options as you were watching and pick your match.

Now the only way to change matches is to go back to the iPlayer menu, where rather unhelpfully they just list the court numbers rather than the match in progress so you're having to know which court the match you want to watch is on as well. This year too the BBC Sport app and website only has the main TV coverage and one additional stream available to view - the rest can be watched by going to the iPlayer site/app but there is no link through at all on the BBC Sport pages to do so.
  • Ma76, RhysJR

The BBC titles are the same as they have been for a number years. Would prefer something different now.

The annual BBC tradition of joining its first match late continued, with the Heather Watson match joined in the second game on BBC Two.

(01-07-2024, 11:26 AM)Brekkie Wrote:  Really do feel the user friendliness of the red button interface has gone backwards in recent years. It was very easy to switch between matches in the linear days and for many years through the connected red button, able to flick through the options as you were watching and pick your match.

Now the only way to change matches is to go back to the iPlayer menu, where rather unhelpfully they just list the court numbers rather than the match in progress so you're having to know which court the match you want to watch is on as well. This year too the BBC Sport app and website only has the main TV coverage and one additional stream available to view - the rest can be watched by going to the iPlayer site/app but there is no link through at all on the BBC Sport pages to do so.

For me on the iPlayer app, the image of each stream displays the match in progress, though it would be better if it was the stream title.

Wonder why they are trying to wind down the BBC Sport app? It certainly is less useable than it was a while ago, but that is true for many BBC apps (like News).

They have now added the players names in the images on the iPlayer.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Brekkie's post:
  • RhysJR