BBC News Pres: Apr 2023 - Present (News Channel/BBC One)

(Yesterday, 06:44 PM)bkman1990 Wrote:  Although; without looking at the full report itself about the current status of the UK feed of the BBC News Channel. I'm thinking that the ideas for the future of the News Channel may look similar to the look and feel of Euronews.
See, my reading is the opposite. To me, the plans seem to suggest they want to eventually lose packaged reporting and move further in the direction of longer focus on a few stories (heavy on live reporting and discussion), with added recycling of made-for-online content. It's not my cup of tea and I don't really see why the raison d'etre of TV news has become such an embarassment recently, but packages are very much out of favour across news channels, with a preference for talking instead. And, of course, doing what everybody else is doing is exactly what you should do in a crowded and shrinking marketplace like TV news.

I guess it's one way to bolster the ratings of network bulletins, make the rest of their TV output so unwatchable it's the only island of safety left. It's hardly a BBC only problem, but it is incredible how every attempt to future-proof TV news has made me watch less TV news.
[-] The following 4 users Like DTV's post:
  • AJB39, chris, chrisherald, thePineapple

(Yesterday, 06:44 PM)bkman1990 Wrote:  I don't know if my reading of some of the quotes here in this thread is correct within this post.

Although; without looking at the full report itself about the current status of the UK feed of the BBC News Channel. I'm thinking that the ideas for the future of the News Channel may look similar to the look and feel of Euronews. However; this rumoured scaled back look for the BBC News Channel for UK audiences would be infused with BBC journalistic standards once it inevitably faces more cutbacks from the BBC Licence Fee in the near future.

I don't know whether the news content side of it will be a greater improvement or not as opposed to stories being presented on the current UK feed of the News Channel. We don't still even know if any major UK breaking news will still be covered in full with real human journalists on this rumoured AI powered news channel either. If funding is set aside to maintain that provision for major breaking news for UK audiences from that news presentation point from the old BBC Weather balcony for UK audiences; then that would be fine.

However; would it be able to match the speed of reporting major UK Breaking News when it's being covered on rival channels like Sky News?

Wait, wait, wait. There is no "rumoured scale back" or "rumoured AI powered news channel" or "rumoured" anything.

There are no rumours.

These are just the ramblings of a madman -- me -- making (barely) educated guesses based on what's happened and what's been said. Let's not turn that idle, and perhaps deranged, speculation into something it's not by referring to it more ethereally as "rumours" of anything.
[-] The following 1 user Likes LDN's post:
  • chrisherald

(Yesterday, 04:38 PM)Daveuk Wrote:  The way it mentions Salford, could we see the UK opt come live from there right up to the 1 o’clock news? Especially with the election approaching.

No idea of the logistics, just thinking out loud.

I’m not sure about the UK opts on the Channel, I suspect unlikely.

I do though suspect that for the most major of stories (rolling BBC One news type stories) we’ll have Salford leading on anything 6am-2pm with the new Breakfast & One team and NBH leading from 2pm.
[-] The following 1 user Likes steve's post:
  • chrisherald

(Yesterday, 07:51 PM)DTV Wrote:  See, my reading is the opposite. To me, the plans seem to suggest they want to eventually lose packaged reporting and move further in the direction of longer focus on a few stories (heavy on live reporting and discussion), with added recycling of made-for-online content. It's not my cup of tea and I don't really see why the raison d'etre of TV news has become such an embarassment recently, but packages are very much out of favour across news channels, with a preference for talking instead. And, of course, doing what everybody else is doing is exactly what you should do in a crowded and shrinking marketplace like TV news.

I guess it's one way to bolster the ratings of network bulletins, make the rest of their TV output so unwatchable it's the only island of safety left. It's hardly a BBC only problem, but it is incredible how every attempt to future-proof TV news has made me watch less TV news.
Why have packages when you can film videos where they have a correspondent or producer speaking and then randomly zoom onto their faces and then zoom back out again? Or maybe they want more people to watch those terrible short clips with annoying soundtracks where they stick dung emojis and large flashing Word Art text over video.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Independent's post:
  • chris

(Today, 02:50 AM)Independent Wrote:  Why have packages when you can film videos where they have a correspondent or producer speaking and then randomly zoom onto their faces and then zoom back out again? Or maybe they want more people to watch those terrible short clips with annoying soundtracks where they stick dung emojis and large flashing Word Art text over video.
It would be nice if BBC News could implement a policy where when these short clips are produced a version of the footage is made available without any graphics or soundtrack. That would make it easier for it to be reused for TV, where standard graphics can be added where appropriate. It would also allow a reporter to add their own narrative audio to it for TV output.

Focusing on producing output for online/app content isn't necessarily a bad thing. However they need to do it in a way where either all of elements of it can be reused by TV and possibly even radio. At the moment there's scope for improvements.

Formerly 'Charlie Wells' of TV Forum.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Keith's post:
  • chrisherald

(Yesterday, 07:51 PM)DTV Wrote:  See, my reading is the opposite. To me, the plans seem to suggest they want to eventually lose packaged reporting and move further in the direction of longer focus on a few stories (heavy on live reporting and discussion), with added recycling of made-for-online content. It's not my cup of tea and I don't really see why the raison d'etre of TV news has become such an embarassment recently, but packages are very much out of favour across news channels, with a preference for talking instead. And, of course, doing what everybody else is doing is exactly what you should do in a crowded and shrinking marketplace like TV news.

I think the non-package mode has been used far before the merger - back then they mostly aired packages during off-peak hours.

(Yesterday, 10:39 PM)steve Wrote:  I’m not sure about the UK opts on the Channel, I suspect unlikely.

I do though suspect that for the most major of stories (rolling BBC One news type stories) we’ll have Salford leading on anything 6am-2pm with the new Breakfast & One team and NBH leading from 2pm.

Indeed. If news “took over” use of the new Breakfast studio, sport would be kicked out (and they’ve only just specifically redesigned the space to allow both news and sport to use it). So routine use of it after Breakfast is, in my view, unlikely (although Sport could potentially relocate and either share North West Tonight’s new set in the old Breakfast studio, once that is completed, during the daytime; or possibly they could revamp the “temporary set” NWT is currently in to be used for Sport again as a secondary studio; they could also still share the set possibly and just axe sport programming if in rolling breaking news opt-out mode).

There is also the “who would present it” argument to consider. If you ask the Breakfast presenters to stay on until 2pm, that’s a very long day if they end up presenting Breakfast and potentially hours on end of an opt. If you ask the One news presenter to come in early to “cover” the opt, again that’s quite a long time before the One that they would (theoretically) need to be ready to go on air. It would also remove the break in between the One and Breakfast that camera operators and other crew in Salford currently get.

However, I do agree that in a quick breaking situation, an extended Breakfast or opt lead by Breakfast is a possibility. After all, the usual way of covering breaking news is for it to be covered by a programme already on air. The morning opt in NBH would not need to be “started up” if Breakfast kept rolling with news. So if something significant happens around the time of, say, just before Breakfast goes off air, then it is sensible that the Breakfast team (whether still branded as Breakfast or not) cover it and just get paid overtime to keep rolling. Sport then wouldn’t be broadcast if true breaking news was happening anyway, as the channel would be in rolling mode. But this couldn’t happen every day as it would be too much work for the Breakfast team.

I wouldn’t be surprised if we do eventually see it happening on the channel though, as there is no longer a UK-focused programme already on air in NBH when Breakfast ends - and they usually take a little bit of time to “go live” with the opt.

(6 hours ago)Keith Wrote:  Focusing on producing output for online/app content isn't necessarily a bad thing. However they need to do it in a way where either all of elements of it can be reused by TV and possibly even radio. At the moment there's scope for improvements.

I agree. The thing is, “producing content for online” shouldn’t, in my view, mean click-bait videos with emojis and rubbish patronising clips. Instead, it would work much better if it actually was a TV package, or something in the style of TV packages. That’s what I would like to see. A good package can be visually interesting for those watching, have good enough audio to be carried on radio with little/no alterations and possibly subtitles like online videos often do for those listening without sound. One package, three uses. That’s the way forward, and creates actually watchable content.
[-] The following 1 user Likes interestednovice's post:
  • thePineapple

Not entirely caught up with things the last few months, so apologies if this has been mentioned before, but not seen the aston style in this clip before. Can definitely see how you could adapt it for TV, though odd that the animation ends with a blinking colon when it'd surely be possible to work in the BBC News icon.
www.bbc.co.uk