BBC Sports Personality of the Year 2023

(23-12-2023, 03:07 AM)Steve in Pudsey Wrote:  Some regions did but I don't think it was across the board. There certainly wasn't a proper slot in the schedule for them so we got treated too some lovely shoddy pres from Manchester as they timeshifted everything.

Should have mentioned that the English regional SPOTY award shows were not televised, but were extensively featured in the next day's news programmes in the appropriate regions.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Scratch_Perry's post:
  • interestednovice

(23-12-2023, 05:50 PM)Scratch_Perry Wrote:  Should have mentioned that the English regional SPOTY award shows were not televised, but were extensively featured in the next day's news programmes in the appropriate regions.

Definitely recall at least one or two regions putting out their own awards specials (Leeds certainly did) - and as Steve mentioned, the resulting timeshifting leading to some dodgy efforts at pre-recorded local continuity from Oxford Road (voiced by Martin Henfield, IIRC)

Yeah, Leeds, Newcastle and Manchester opted for their separate programmes then back to "network" supplied by Manchester. The Leeds one was hosted by Martin Kelner from the Queen's Hotel. Wasn't there some controversy about the events being sponsored?

Acrobats all night, and quality graphic design like this.

I recall they managed to overlook the small detail of being able to subtitle the Sign Zone programmes.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

[-] The following 2 users Like Steve in Pudsey's post:
  • lookoutwales, TVFan

I think they overlooked a lot there, bearing in mind they'd have known this was likely to happen for some time...

I assume that this was during the old days of network distribution, and Manchester comms simply replaced the Net1 feed from MR to the other regions with their own delayed version, cutting in to N24 once it was all over.
Edit: might be the quality of the cap, but is the 'North' legend written in Arial?!
[-] The following 1 user Likes Mike's post:
  • Steve in Pudsey

I love a bit of “Antiques Road Show” and “Watch Dog”
[-] The following 3 users Like Andrew's post:
  • DE88, Steve in Pudsey, TVFan

(deleted - the delete button is missing)

Still baffles me how it managed to get on air at all, to be honest.

Not that all timeshifted Pres from Manchester was bad - Nigel Jay (RIP) seemed very at home doing a late ‘shift’ one night (although from what I recall, they did use Acrobats time and again)

Definitely recall the late film (a Sandra Bullock comedy called Forces of Nature) being intro’d and played out locally.

There was also a run of Saturday nights during that era when Rugby League Raw (imported from YTV) went out after MOTD - complete with burnt-in ECP for The Super League Show - and that was played out from Oxford Road (by which point, Fiona Trott was usually heard on con duty)
[-] The following 1 user Likes lookoutwales's post:
  • TVFan

I've dug out my capture of the 2002 opts. It really feels like amateur hour, I can't really find anything more charitable to say about it.

up.metropol247.co.uk 

up.metropol247.co.uk 
[-] The following 4 users Like Steve in Pudsey's post:
  • lookoutwales, Mike, RhysJR, TVFan

Thanks for sharing those

The horrible picture jump to the timeshifted programmes comes across almost like someone is manually switching between the continuity and the programming. I wonder if it was a case of studio B at Oxford Road playing out the idents/menus and then comms switching in and out of programmes on a tape delayed recording of network, as opposed to MR opting out and playing it from the NWT gallery entirely. That being said some programmes are mixed from the ident to the programme, so I wonder if they had some on tape delivered, but not everything.

Also was weather view played out in a letterbox?

Even if it was a router cut it should still be synchronous shouldn't it? I'm assuming it was the pres studio rather than B that was putting this out.

Even if Comms were handling that playout surely they would have fed it to the gallery as an OS?

Not sure what the still idents were all about though.

Weatherview was probably the only thing that was recorded off network, they would have had copies of everything else in advance, I suspect.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Steve in Pudsey's post:
  • Mike