Ant and Dec rebooting Byker Grove

Maybe Channel 4 could take it, considering they are dumping a lot of their old content now, they need new productions, maybe it would suit them?

To be honest if Ant and Dec aren’t in it, I don’t really see the point. PJ and Duncan would be the big draw, even if they weren’t main characters.

(05-07-2023, 09:32 AM)JAS84 Wrote:  That's the trope called Network Decay. IGN originally stood for Imagine Games Network, so anything not games related is deviating from it's original remit.

Which is fine as long as IGN are still producing content on games and if there has been approval from its audience at every stage about branching out. The remit isn't set in stone.

Ironic that a discussion about remits is in a thread about a programme that was axed in addition to other shows for a similar audience and a remit to ensure such content was produced wasn't adhered to. It may well be that 13-15 year olds could have enjoyed Doctor Who, Waterloo Road, bits of Eastenders and some of what BBC3 has had to offer in the last 15 years but that's immaterial as none of this was created specifically for them, which is/was part of the BBC's remit but they have failed to do.

Dec was only in the original show for 4 years, and Ant for 3, so it's not as if they were a long running integral part of the original show.

(05-07-2023, 01:06 PM)James2001 Wrote:  Dec was only in the original show for 4 years, and Ant for 3, so it's not as if they were a long running integral part of the original show.

It was a kids drama though - the cast changed every 3-4 years as characters outgrew the setting.    Would have been odd to stick with the original cast through to their late 20s.

Yes, it's not like Corrie or EastEnders where people watch it at any age, it's the kind of thing you watched at the age that you watched CBBC and then moved on. So everyone will have "their cast" that they personally remember watching.

[Image: 1592580878_1869298444.svg]

(05-07-2023, 11:54 AM)Kim Wexler’s Ponytail Wrote:  It sounds like it's aiming for the Waterloo Road / Ackley Bridge demo rather than the CBBC audiance. So if ITV get first refusal it might be something they'd consider for ITVX.

Yes I think people have missed that it is coming back as a 'prime time' show rather than skewed towards children. I guess it will play to nostalgia and be aimed at those who were fond of it first time around.
It could be done along the lines of HeartStopper and Sex Education which have that teen/adult crossover appeal.

I suspect that if the BBC end up with it they’ll put it on BBC Three, although admittedly I’d have thought the same about the Waterloo Road revival.
[-] The following 1 user Likes iloveTV1's post:
  • Roger Darthwell