The Newsreader

Just thought I’d flag up this fantastic show if anyone here hasn’t seen it, given it’s likely of interest to many of you. 

Fantastically-produced drama set in a tv newsroom in the 80s, but with some great insight into news gathering at the time and makes reference to a number of big stories. Some of the scenes from the news desk whilst stories are unfolding are incredible (especially episode 2). 

It’s available on iPlayer, and well worth 6 hours of your time.
[-] The following 1 user Likes all new phil's post:
  • dbl

Yes, watched this a few weeks ago and almost made a post on it.

Here’s the real life coverage of the main news event in episode 4, much of the script is identical.

m.youtube.com 

I think as a drama in its own right, it’s alright. But pres fans people would really enjoy it. Although no doubt some artistic licence was no doubt used, it also seems quite true to life in terms of how things would work behind the scenes at the time.

One thing I did notice was the lack of any computers, I would imagine news rooms would have had some back then?
[-] The following 1 user Likes Jon's post:
  • all new phil

I’ve just watched this and really enjoyed it. Quite gripping at times. I love how real life events are intertwined but I actually really enjoyed the underpinning story as well.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Manclad83's post:
  • all new phil