The Sport Thread - For stuff not worthy of a thread of its own

Well, we’re talking a competition with an average attendance of 2,000, so no doubt the fear of the gate being affected by TV coverage is quite real here. Add to the fact the proposed deal was with a company that’s not actually currently operating in the UK market. I’m not sure what’s holding up the Premier/Viaplay transaction, but it still doesn’t appear to have completed.

(Yesterday, 11:55 AM)Rdd Wrote:  Well, we’re talking a competition with an average attendance of 2,000, so no doubt the fear of the gate being affected by TV coverage is quite real here. Add to the fact the proposed deal was with a company that’s not actually currently operating in the UK market. I’m not sure what’s holding up the Premier/Viaplay transaction, but it still doesn’t appear to have completed.

In April apparently. Might as well wait until the end of the rugby/football seasons at this point.

twitter.com 

I would have thought Viaplay would be anxious to be rid of it asap, tbh, regardless of timing in terms of the sporting calendar.

However I checked Viaplay Group UK Sports Limited (the UK company being acquired - formerly Freesports Limited) on Companies House this morning and all the Viaplay appointed directors are still in situ, no change of name, no notification of change of control - no sign of the transaction having been completed at all.

Ditto on the CRO website for Viaplay Group Ireland Limited (formerly Premier Media Broadcasting Limited).
[-] The following 1 user Likes Rdd's post:
  • RhysJR

(Yesterday, 11:34 AM)RhysJR Wrote:  Apparently their rugby league matches in early 2022 were getting as high as 75 000, and getting 50 000 consistently. Which for a secondary competition on a minor channel is not too bad I would think (Channel 4 got similar numbers for their opener in 2023).

Apparently they have around 7 million subscribers in the UK. I'm struggling with that number - if every URC fan in Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland subscribed that wouldn't hit that number.
Sky Sports doesn't even have 7m subscribers - this article says it has 6m.

www.raconteur.net 
[-] The following 1 user Likes Brekkie's post:
  • RhysJR

So Sky Sports is in about 20% of homes in the UK.

I’m surprised it gets 6 million subscribers which adds up to 10 million or more viewers. Nothing on Sky Sports has got anywhere near that viewing figure.

I believe the 7m quoted is Viaplay’s total number of subscribers, global, and that prior to the split of the Irish and UK operations, Premier Sports UK and Ireland subscriber base was more like 220,000.

Edit: and with impeccable timing, Viaplay Group AB publishes its 2023 Annual Report which makes clear that’s exactly what it is.

www.viaplaygroup.com 
[-] The following 2 users Like Rdd's post:
  • Brekkie, RhysJR

(Yesterday, 01:38 PM)Rdd Wrote:  I believe the 7m quoted is Viaplay’s total number of subscribers, global, and that prior to the split of the Irish and UK operations, Premier Sports UK and Ireland subscriber base was more like 220,000.

Edit: and with impeccable timing, Viaplay Group AB publishes its 2023 Annual Report which makes clear that’s exactly what it is.

www.viaplaygroup.com 

Thanks for the clarification, that makes much more sense all round.

Sounds like the BBC will be doing their own commentary on the British Swimming Championships next week. There will only be radio coverage on Radio 5 Sports Extra of the final session on the Sunday. No linear coverage on the Red Button scheduled.

twitter.com 

(Yesterday, 01:37 PM)Newshound47 Wrote:  So Sky Sports is in about 20% of homes in the UK.

I’m surprised it gets 6 million subscribers which adds up to 10 million or more viewers. Nothing on Sky Sports has got anywhere near that viewing figure.

That sounds about right when you consider the BBC and ITV has a potential 60m viewers but gets nowhere close to that even with massive sporting events, so Sky Sports peaking at around a third of it's potential audience is probably about right.

(Yesterday, 04:49 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  That sounds about right when you consider the BBC and ITV has a potential 60m viewers but gets nowhere close to that even with massive sporting events, so Sky Sports peaking at around a third of it's potential audience is probably about right.

I am always skeptical about the figures for some of the biggest events. I find it hard that nothing has ever got more than 55% of the country watching it.