The Sport Thread - For stuff not worthy of a thread of its own

And unless there is a channel change for the middle match it compromises both the post-match and pre-match coverage. One advantage of the BBC/ITV deal is when the Saturday games are on different channels they both get adequate surrounding coverage.
[-] The following 3 users Like Brekkie's post:
  • Jeff, Rdd, RhysJR

(10-07-2024, 12:04 PM)RhysJR Wrote:  The Formula E season finale, the London ePrix, will be shown live for free on Quest in the UK. Apparently, this "reinforces Formula E’s commitment to its UK fan base allowing more fans to enjoy the thrill of Formula E racing, the most competitive motorsport on TV." Think this year has sunk without a trace with the far more limited coverage this year.

www.fiaformulae.com 

Think this is the first time TNT Sport content is being shown on Quest.
It will miss the start on Sunday as it follows the British Superbikes that is being displaced from Eurosport because of the Tour de France and Shanghai Masters snooker
[-] The following 2 users Like dvboy's post:
  • bkman1990, RhysJR

(10-07-2024, 02:05 PM)Rdd Wrote:  My fear is that three games will mean more lunchtime as opposed to prime time games, for me a lunchtime game is generally too early and I wouldn’t go out of the way to watch it unless it was Ireland (I suspect any lunchtime kick offs will involve Italy, though).

Can’t see the BBC or ITV being overly keen on more Saturday prime time games (though I personally would prefer that), there’s a reason the late kick off is now 4:45pm instead of 5:30pm, though in the event of a move to triple headers I think it’ll need to be pushed back to after 5pm again to avoid the spectre of pre-midday kick offs.

Yeah, the 12:15/14:30/16:45 Super Saturdays are really a struggle with no time to breathe between games. If TV ratings are the only/overiding consideration, it should be Friday and a Saturday double header. Of course, if ratings were the main consideration, they wouldn't be thinking of taking it off FTA TV at all.

Never be under any illusion that anything, other than money, is the prime consideration!

That said the Six Nations is rugby union’s annual “shop window”, the one time it is in the limelight of FTA TV and 6NR would do well not to mess too much with that.
[-] The following 5 users Like Rdd's post:
  • bkman1990, Brekkie, Jeff, RhysJR, Scratch_Perry

(10-07-2024, 02:41 PM)dvboy Wrote:  Think this is the first time TNT Sport content is being shown on Quest.
It will miss the start on Sunday as it follows the British Superbikes that is being displaced from Eurosport because of the Tour de France and Shanghai Masters snooker

Ignore me about the start time - the Digiguide listing for the TNT Sport 1 programme says it starts at 16:03 when it in fact starts at 17:03, so all they are missing on Quest is 45 mins of build-up.
[-] The following 1 user Likes dvboy's post:
  • RhysJR

Gabby Logan is set to be the host of the highlights of the Champions League on the BBC. I'd say a predictable and logical choice - the press are spinning it as a snub to Gary Lineker but I doubt he ever put himself in contention for it.

I thought Gabby might be the Amazon host though - could still be I guess if their weekly live games are on Tuesdays only but I'd have thought both broadcasters would want a host not seen on coveeage elsewhere.

www.goal.com 
[-] The following 2 users Like Brekkie's post:
  • bkman1990, RhysJR

A very sombre opening to ITV’s coverage of the July meet at Newmarket (opening titles ran as normal), with some particularly moving comments from Richard Hoiles and a minute’s silence (alas, not observed by everyone)

Coverage of the meeting itself began after the first ad break.

x.com 
[-] The following 2 users Like lookoutwales's post:
  • bkman1990, RhysJR

(11-07-2024, 01:43 PM)lookoutwales Wrote:  A very sombre opening to ITV’s coverage of the July meet at Newmarket (opening titles ran as normal), with some particularly moving comments from Richard Hoiles and a minute’s silence (alas, not observed by everyone)

Coverage of the meeting itself began after the first ad break.

x.com 

The remarks by Richard Hoiles were very moving indeed.

I think that opening was handled very well by ITV, including the silent segue to the first break.
[-] The following 4 users Like JayCasey's post:
  • bkman1990, Jeff, lookoutwales, RhysJR

(11-07-2024, 01:51 PM)JayCasey Wrote:  I think that opening was handled very well by ITV, including the silent segue to the first break.
Followed immediately by a Paddy Power sponsor sting, which in the circumstances probably should have been dropped. Otherwise though very well handled.
[-] The following 3 users Like Brekkie's post:
  • bkman1990, lookoutwales, RhysJR

(11-07-2024, 10:32 AM)Brekkie Wrote:  Gabby Logan is set to be the host of the highlights of the Champions League on the BBC. I'd say a predictable and logical choice - the press are spinning it as a snub to Gary Lineker but I doubt he ever put himself in contention for it.

I thought Gabby might be the Amazon host though - could still be I guess if their weekly live games are on Tuesdays only but I'd have thought both broadcasters would want a host not seen on coveeage elsewhere.

www.goal.com 

Interesting this. I was expecting one of the younger BBC football presenters, like Jermaine Jenas or Alex Scott, to be appointed host, so pleasantly surprised that one of the best around in Gabby is set to get the gig. Interesting as well that Gabby only did one domestic football programme on the BBC last season - the Women's FA Cup final. I agree there there was close to zero chance that Gary would have been a serious option; he stopped covering the UCL a few years back, and his commitments outside the BBC have probably grown since then.

I was also expecting Gabby to be Amazon's main host as she appeared as their de facto chief presenter on their Premier League and rugby coverage. I doubt that she would do both.
Dan Walker, Steve Bower, Jeff Stelling and Kelly Somers look like the highest ranking presenters for Amazon last December that weren't Gabby. I think I saw somewhere that Jon Champion was the heavy favourite to be their main commentator, so no doubt a tug of war for Ally McCoist on Tuesday nights.