The Sport Thread - For stuff not worthy of a thread of its own

Yes, quite surprised they're not on site. Suspect they'll at least make it to Paris for any Home Nations fixtures.

Seems a lot of effort for just the odd Six Nations fixture they're not in the stadium so wouldn't be surprised to see it used for the group stages at least in the Rugby World Cup.

(05-02-2023, 04:19 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  Yes, quite surprised they're not on site.  Suspect they'll at least make it to Paris for any Home Nations fixtures.

Seems a lot of effort for just the odd Six Nations fixture they're not in the stadium so wouldn't be surprised to see it used for the group stages at least in the Rugby World Cup.
You’d imagine they’d have a studio in Paris for the World Cup. Although they might be at the ground for all home nations games so might not bother with an expensive set up for other games. Usually they’d use the football studio of course for the Six Nations. But apart from La Liga which comes from a more basic set than the big games, they don’t have anything that would acquire them to be studio based on terms of football that I can think of.

I wonder which studio they’re using, the chairs look the same as the ones BBC Sport secondary studio uses and they’re pretty close together which suggests the space is also quite small. So wouldn’t be surprised if they’re using that. Although always assumed the secondary studio wasn’t one that was hired out and actually in the BBC Sport building. 

In theory they could use ITN as well.

(05-02-2023, 04:30 PM)Jon Wrote:  
(05-02-2023, 04:19 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  Yes, quite surprised they're not on site.  Suspect they'll at least make it to Paris for any Home Nations fixtures.

You’d imagine they’d have a studio in Paris for the World Cup. Although they might be at the ground for all home nations games so might not bother with an expensive set up for other games. Usually they’d use the football studio of course for the Six Nations. But apart from La Liga which comes from a more basic set than the big games, they don’t have anything that would acquire them to be studio based on terms of football that I can think of.

I wonder which studio they’re using, the chairs look the same as the ones BBC Sport secondary studio uses and they’re pretty close together which suggests the space is also quite small. So wouldn’t be surprised if they’re using that. Although always assumed the secondary studio wasn’t one that was hired out and actually in the BBC Sport building. 

These days, ITV use the studios in Ealing for their studio sports presentation (apart from the EFL coverage, which is done out of IMG's centre in Chiswick (or is it Stockley Park - can't remember which) and the NFL show, which is made at BT's studio in Stratford).
[-] The following 2 users Like Scratch_Perry's post:
  • bkman1990, Brekkie

The ITV studio on screen for anyone who missed it

twitter.com 

And the reality...

twitter.com 

(05-02-2023, 04:30 PM)Jon Wrote:  

Generally speaking for the Rugby World Cup they do the group games (including home nations) from the UK and the knock out games on location.   I don't think really there is much benefit to them being in a studio in Paris compared to being in a studio in the south of England.   If they do have a presentation team out in France for the home nations matches in the group stage they might as well be at the stadia.

(05-02-2023, 09:44 PM)Scratch_Perry Wrote:  These days, ITV use the studios in Ealing for their studio sports presentation (apart from the EFL coverage, which is done out of IMG's centre in Chiswick (or is it Stockley Park - can't remember which) and the NFL show, which is made at BT's studio in Stratford).
IMG are Stockley Park (though used to be in Chiswick - they moved about 10 years ago). Studio coverage for La Liga and darts have also been coming from Stratford lately.

I think that virtual set looks pretty decent. ITV seem to have been missing a bit of consistency across their sport sets recently, so hopefully they're going to carry some elements across from this to some of their physical sets too.

I had a feeling that new set from ITV Sport was virtual. It looked really well when watching the analysis for Italy v France yesterday. Was it the same one that was used for Euro 2020 or is it in a completely different location?

No, they were in Maidstone for the Euros.
[-] The following 1 user Likes thegeek's post:
  • bkman1990

NFL Game Pass International is merging with DAZN starting next season. The NFL and DAZN have announced the deal this morning.

www.nfl.com -

That’s giving me a 404, I tried pasting in a link myself but that also appears to return a 404, not sure if it’s something funny with NFL.com.

Be interesting to see how it’s priced. In the U.K. & Ireland the 1pm (6pm) and 4:05pm/4:25pm (9:05/9:25pm) games selected for broadcast on Sky Sports have been blacked out in the service in the past, though Sky don’t always pick the top games in each time slot for whatever reason. Not sure if existing broadcast partners will be happy with this - GamePass has in the past had zero marketing and been seen as one for the hardest core of hardcore fans - I’m sure many people who count themselves as gridiron fans don’t even know it exists - whereas DAZN will no doubt promote its offering, and if it’s included with DAZN at the price point it’s currently offered in the U.K. & Ireland it could be a good alternative for NFL fans with no other reason to subscribe to Sky Sports.
[-] The following 2 users Like Rdd's post:
  • bkman1990, Medianext.MX