Pres Café
2024 Local Elections - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: News and Sport Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: 2024 Local Elections (/showthread.php?tid=739)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20

RE: 2024 Local Elections - Brekkie - 04-05-2024

(04-05-2024, 08:04 PM)James2001 Wrote:  I don't think even 2 or 3 years back we'd have been expecting Sky to cover election results better than the BBC.
Sky have always shined with election coverage.

The problem the BBC has is they've basically covered this election on TV at least in a similar manner to how they've covered local elections in the past with seemingly little concession to the expectation that Saturday would be as important as Thursday night results wise.

RE: 2024 Local Elections - James2001 - 04-05-2024

And now the BBC have moved onto other news, on the verge of the announcement being made...

RE: 2024 Local Elections - AJB39 - 04-05-2024

Despite my praise of John Curtice I have to say Sky News’s coverage has been fantastic. I’ve been watching it all afternoon. Sophy Ridge, Sam Coates and Beth Rigby are brilliant. I much prefer the side of the studio they are broadcasting from today as well. It had a much more intimate feel with everybody closer to each other. It also means that Sophy doesn't have to walk from one side of the studio to the other to speak to her guests.

RE: 2024 Local Elections - Lester - 04-05-2024

Sky still have their a listers on now, Beth Rigby, Sophy Ridge, Sam Coates. The BBC have the work experience guys on that no one has heard of. Pretty shameful.

(04-05-2024, 08:02 PM)Lester Wrote:  And now it's a world news bulletin.

This merger really hasn't done any favours for anyone.

Are they going to cut to The Travel Show if the result hasn't been announced by half past and risk missing the announcement? Good lord.

Edit: good lord, another sport bulletin 🤦‍♂️

RE: 2024 Local Elections - Milkshake - 04-05-2024

The BBC have said they will have separate NEWS channel operation for the General election, but surly they should have done that for the local elections for a test run?

RE: 2024 Local Elections - Andrew - 04-05-2024

(04-05-2024, 08:07 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  Sky have always shined with election coverage.

The problem the BBC has is they've basically covered this election on TV at least in a similar manner to how they've covered local elections in the past with seemingly little concession to the expectation that Saturday would be as important as Thursday night results wise.

Having the A listers on overnight on Thursday night when hardly anyone would have been watching and then having Z listers on today when the results are at least as important if not more so, is a serious misstep.

(04-05-2024, 08:19 PM)Andrew Wrote:  Having the A listers on overnight on Thursday night when hardly anyone would have been watching and then having Z listers on today when the results are at least as important if not more so, is a serious misstep.

In fact it's fair to say barely any of the important results were on Thursday night, they were mostly yesterday and today. That's where their main focus should have been, not Geeta in a broom cupboard interrupted by sport and The Travel Show. It's not like a GE where everything important's overnight and done and dusted by the morning.

RE: 2024 Local Elections - all new phil - 04-05-2024

(04-05-2024, 08:24 PM)James2001 Wrote:  In fact it's fair to say barely any of the important results were on Thursday night, they were mostly yesterday and today. That's where their main focus should have been, not Geeta in a broom cupboard interrupted by sport and The Travel Show.

They simply don’t seem to have the capability to roll with something like this today. I’ve been thinking what they *should* have done, and I’m struggling to imagine who they’d have had presenting, and where from.

Ridge, Coates and Rigby on Sky are really showing how it should be done.

RE: 2024 Local Elections - DTV - 04-05-2024

I'd also concur that Sky's coverage has been vastly superior to the BBC (other than their 'projection', which was so severely methodologically flawed as to be an outright editorial misjudgement). Ultimately, it's another part of BBC News output that I'm basically giving up on - it'll be Sky or ITV for the general, I'm sure the Curtice clips will get uploaded somewhere.

Also, within the BBC coverage, Coburn is frankly a better presenter and interviewer, it seems odd that she isn't seriously considered to be the main election night presenter.