Pres Café
BBC Radio 1 - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Programme Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: BBC Radio 1 (/showthread.php?tid=211)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23

RE: BBC Radio 1 - Steve in Pudsey - 24-06-2024

I guess at least one of the Wales/Cymru breakfast programmes would be in a talks studio rather than self-op too.

RE: BBC Radio 1 - Ash101 - 24-06-2024

(24-06-2024, 10:23 AM)lookoutwales Wrote:  Ironically, Sam and Danni decamped to London when they were depping for Greg last week.

I've always assumed the presenters go to wherever the show is usually produced from, because of the off air team being based there?

There was a time over a year ago where Sam & Danni did Life Hacks on a Sunday (4-7pm) from Salford, being documenting a quick trip on social media back down to London to cover Early Breakfast (5-7am) on Monday

RE: BBC Radio 1 - lookoutwales - 24-06-2024

(24-06-2024, 10:37 AM)Steve in Pudsey Wrote:  I guess at least one of the Wales/Cymru breakfast programmes would be in a talks studio rather than self-op too.

Definitely the case with Radio Wales and Radio Cymru - the latter's breakfast news ('Post Cyntaf') used to be jointly presented between Bangor and Cardiff before it was relaunched as 'Dros Frecwast' during Covid.

The drivetime news ('Post Prynhawn') is still presented from Bangor most nights - infact, Bangor and Camarthen put out most of RC's daytime output between them nowadays (across the two stations)

I'm sure Radio Wales did a similar dual-location format with Good Morning Wales or Good Evening Wales but that's long gone.

RE: BBC Radio 1 - Steve in Pudsey - 24-06-2024

(24-06-2024, 11:13 AM)Ash101 Wrote:  I've always assumed the presenters go to wherever the show is usually produced from, because of the off air team being based there?

I think it varies, depending on whether the production team are off at the same time as the talent.

I don't recall anybody from London going up to Manchester to cover for Mark and Lard on afternoons.

RE: BBC Radio 1 - iloveTV1 - 24-06-2024

(24-06-2024, 01:37 PM)Steve in Pudsey Wrote:  I think it varies, depending on whether the production team are off at the same time as the talent.

I don't recall anybody from London going up to Manchester to cover for Mark and Lard on afternoons.

That was about 20 years ago tbf and recently I can only remember two instances when the location of a show has been moved, and both were last minute changes (Sian covered Dean from London when he was on weekends as Dean had been drafted in to host Breakfast with Mollie, and Vick covered Matt and Mollie from Salford as both had pulled out late in the day and she was in Salford for life hacks).

RE: BBC Radio 1 - RhysJR - 25-06-2024

(24-06-2024, 12:13 PM)lookoutwales Wrote:  Definitely the case with Radio Wales and Radio Cymru - the latter's breakfast news ('Post Cyntaf') used to be jointly presented between Bangor and Cardiff before it was relaunched as 'Dros Frecwast' during Covid.

The drivetime news ('Post Prynhawn') is still presented from Bangor most nights - infact, Bangor and Camarthen put out most of RC's daytime output between them nowadays (across the two stations)

I'm sure Radio Wales did a similar dual-location format with Good Morning Wales or Good Evening Wales but that's long gone.

I think one of the regular presenters in the old Good Morning/Good Evening Wales format was based in Bangor, and those shows were occasionaly jointly presented (it might have been Bethan Rhys Roberts before she presented Newyddion on S4C). Radio Wales Sport on Friday nights last season was dual presented, with Bethan Clement in Bangor and Chris Wathan in Cardiff, but whenever I've heard it this season it's usually been single headed.

RE: BBC Radio 1 - Stooky Bill - 25-06-2024

(24-06-2024, 01:37 PM)Steve in Pudsey Wrote:  I think it varies, depending on whether the production team are off at the same time as the talent.

That was very much an outlier on Radio 1, these days where much more of the schedule is from outside London it's a bit different.

6 Music for example is in Salford for most of the day (breakfast is in London, not sure if Drivetime is now) so if a presenter is off the cover will be in Salford too, the production staff are all there and there's a studio there booked for the show. There might not be one in London.

The other difference is that there is more network presenting talent in Salford, in the Mark and Lard days it was just them up north. Now if Craig Charles for example is off, then Chris Hawkins covers as he is based there

RE: BBC Radio 1 - lookoutwales - 25-06-2024

(25-06-2024, 08:12 AM)Stooky Bill Wrote:  6 Music for example is in Salford for most of the day (breakfast is in London, not sure if Drivetime is now) so if a presenter is off the cover will be in Salford too, the production staff are all there and there's a studio there booked for the show. There might not be one in London.

Drivetime on 6 Music is usually from Cardiff nowadays, since Huw Stephens took over.