Pres Café
Eurovision Song Contest 2024 - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Programme Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: Eurovision Song Contest 2024 (/showthread.php?tid=485)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49

RE: Eurovision Song Contest 2024 - agemame - 10-05-2024

Granted, my eyesight is clearly worse than I thought I've just realised the blue hole was actually a cartoon of Joost himself.
I had heard about an alleged assault, but not from any accredited source

RE: Eurovision Song Contest 2024 - gottago - 10-05-2024

SVT News now saying it was an incident between Joost and a photographer.

https://www.svt.se/kultur/incident-utreds-kring-nederlandske-artisten-joost-klein 

RE: Eurovision Song Contest 2024 - DavidWhitfield - 10-05-2024

Talking of the Europapa, I saw that both he and Marina Satti of Greece made their feelings known regarding Israel's participation during the semi-final two press conference, with the former draping a flag over his head while Israel were answering their questions, and the latter fake-yawning and pretending to sleep during Israel's answers.

Ultimately, whatever you think about the situation in Israel/Gaza, and the EBU's decision to allow Israel to compete this year, I feel uncomfortable seeing disrespect of the above nature directed at the Israeli delegation, especially coupled with the booing and 'free Palestine' shouts during last night's performance.

Eden Golan is a young singer who is there to perform.

It reminds me of the treatment that Russian act The Tolmachevy Sisters received in 2014.

I just want to see the artists and their delegations given kindness, support, and respect when they're taking part - no single performer has the ability to affect world events, and any protests - perfectly reasonable though they may be - should be directed at those who can make a difference, not a young woman entering a singing competition.

RE: Eurovision Song Contest 2024 - Brekkie - 10-05-2024

The EBU are just making the situation worse for all concerned by being so over zealous about it - seems they've now cancelled all press conferences, basically silencing anyone who might say anything remotely critical. As you refer to David when there were issues in the past it didn't feel like there was the censorship of acts we've been seeing this week.

Personally I don't equate a person representing their country as the equivalent if them condoning the actions of their government and arguably not removing Israel from the contest has kept the plight of those in Gaza in the spotlight rather than it being out of sight, out of mind, which might have been more convenient. It just feels like organisers have made things far worse and positioned themselves into a corner by actively censoring imagery, controlling artists and playing fake audio rather than letting things play out naturally. As is so often the case censorship has only served to magnify the issue rather than hide it.

RTVE in Spain have released a statement reminding the EBU of their responsibility to protecting the freedom of the press.

Quote:The Spanish delegation from @eurovision_tve has conveyed to @EBU_HQ its commitment to freedom of the press and opinion and has demanded that @Eurovision ensure its respect."
https://twitter.com/RTVE_Com/status/1788988410062848246 

They’re playing the Dutch performance from last night during the jury final while they continue to investigate the incident.

RE: Eurovision Song Contest 2024 - DavidWhitfield - 10-05-2024

The Netherlands were still referred to in the flag parade (albeit without Joost coming out onstage as planned).

RE: Eurovision Song Contest 2024 - Flux - 10-05-2024

(10-05-2024, 08:07 PM)gottago Wrote:  They’re playing the Dutch performance from last night during the jury final while they continue to investigate the incident.

Is that right? I understood they were skipping his performance completely in tonight’s show and juries would just separately use his performance from SF2 in their rankings.

Not that it probably matters. Lots of sources claiming he’s out already and they’re just buying time whilst they work through the legalities of making that announcement.

They're just so desperate to control the narrative they've lost the narrative. Such announcements shouldn't be coming from the warm up man.

(10-05-2024, 08:25 PM)Flux Wrote:  Is that right? I understood they were skipping his performance completely in tonight’s show and juries would just separately use his performance from SF2 in their rankings.

Well they need to watch his performance in order to judge it so why wouldn't they be showing it as part of the running order?

Are the juries in the arena or watching what we see on screen, possibly back in their home country?