Pres Café
Newsnight - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: News and Sport Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: Newsnight (/showthread.php?tid=107)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39

RE: Newsnight - LDN - 30-05-2024

(29-05-2024, 11:10 PM)London Lite Wrote:  I can't help thinking they should've relaunched the 10.30 slot with a new name as this isn't Newsnight in any sense of the word.

Hmmm. Just spitballing here...

Newsday. News 24 (!?). Newschat. Newsviews. Newsbanter. Newswaffle. Newsderp.

Wait, hold up... A programme dedicated solely to regurgitating the same monotonous opinions and talking points already repeated across dozens of other TV and radio shows throughout the day?

BBC Newsbleat.

Nailed it. 😎

RE: Newsnight - Moz - 30-05-2024

Oh dear. Newsnight covering the guilty Trump breaking news and Nick Watt “here because we thought we’d be talking about the election”!

So not Election Newsnight tonight.

Interesting too they have Lewis Goodall back as a panelist. Whether he’ll appear given the news, who can say!

RE: Newsnight - London Lite - 30-05-2024

One thing we can thank Trump for is they won't be dragging out another night about Labour.

RE: Newsnight - Moz - 30-05-2024

Newsnight still on air at 23:07!

RE: Newsnight - GraemeT88 - 30-05-2024

No newsnight on news channel, but it is running on with extended length on bbc2!

RE: Newsnight - Alessi - 31-05-2024

(30-05-2024, 10:40 PM)Moz Wrote:  Oh dear. Newsnight covering the guilty Trump breaking news and Nick Watt “here because we thought we’d be talking about the election”!

So not Election Newsnight tonight.

Interesting too they have Lewis Goodall back as a panelist. Whether he’ll appear given the news, who can say!

That is a little unfair. They did think they'd be talking about the election. They do actually have to pre-plan a show ahead of time.

RE: Newsnight - Reith85 - 31-05-2024

(31-05-2024, 12:14 PM)Alessi Wrote:  That is a little unfair. They did think they'd be talking about the election. They do actually have to pre-plan a show ahead of time.

Also, Nick Watt was on excellent form last night on the outcome of the Trump trial.

RE: Newsnight - Moz - 31-05-2024

(31-05-2024, 12:19 PM)Reith85 Wrote:  Also, Nick Watt was on excellent form last night on the outcome of the Trump trial.

He was, as were the other guests - but my point was this shows the perils of a panel based news programme. If a major story breaks of which the panel have no knowledge, they’re useless. Last night they were lucky.

RE: Newsnight - House - 31-05-2024

(31-05-2024, 01:41 PM)Moz Wrote:  He was, as were the other guests - but my point was this shows the perils of a panel based news programme. If a major story breaks of which the panel have no knowledge, they’re useless. Last night they were lucky.

The news the verdict was coming in emerged about 45 minutes before the broadcast went on air. I’m not sure how you think they would have covered it differently in the old format - they got a North America correspondent on for several minutes and asked a political strategist about how he’d deal with the political fall out if he were working for Trump. They had a correspondent in studio providing analysis. I really don’t see what else they could have done when the whole running order went out at short notice?

RE: Newsnight - Moz - 31-05-2024

(31-05-2024, 01:47 PM)House Wrote:  The news the verdict was coming in emerged about 45 minutes before the broadcast went on air. I’m not sure how you think they would have covered it differently in the old format - they got a North America correspondent on for several minutes and asked a political strategist about how he’d deal with the political fall out if he were working for Trump. They had a correspondent in studio providing analysis. I really don’t see what else they could have done when the whole running order went out at short notice?

Of course news programmes often have their plans ripped up at the last minute - that’s the business they’re in - but they don’t then get the guests who were booked for another story to talk at length about something else.