Newsnight

Where is Newsnight coming from tonight?

Volunteering. It's #GoodForYou!
[-] The following 1 user Likes Moz's post:
  • Clean Feed

twitter.com 

And Mark explained the issue after the programme came off air:

twitter.com 

Studio K apparently - the World Service studio?

Volunteering. It's #GoodForYou!
[-] The following 1 user Likes Moz's post:
  • Stuart

(15-08-2022, 11:49 PM)Moz Wrote:  Studio K apparently - the World Service studio?

Certainly looks like Studio K.

(16-08-2022, 12:07 AM)Clean Feed Wrote:  
(15-08-2022, 11:49 PM)Moz Wrote:  Studio K apparently - the World Service studio?
Certainly looks like Studio K.
I think they've used Studio K (BBC Russian) before when an earlier broadcast schedule meant they were clashing with BBC Persia who were still in 54D.

They moved to Studio K because a cable in the studio tripped a wall box. Should be back in 54D tonight.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Boozehound's post:
  • London Lite

Something I realised when catching up this afternoon on this week's editions of Newsnight, is that I don't think we've had a single edition outside of London in ages - compared to last year when Newsnight went sofa-surfing around the nations & regions almost every week during the summer

Tonight's edition of Newsnight is from BBC Wales in Cardiff for the first time in quite a while.

(03-11-2022, 11:34 PM)Omnipresent Wrote:  Tonight's edition of Newsnight is from BBC Wales in Cardiff for the first time in quite a while.

Fundamentally, I don't really have an issue with and think it can be a good idea for the BBC to utilise their other studios across the country for network news output. What I don't understand is that, when they do, they make such little effort for it to make sense with regard to the content - which, if anything, makes it appear more gimmicky.

Tonight, there were no major Welsh stories in the programme, but the lead story was a pre-planned event concerning Manchester. Surely, if the programme had to come from outside London, it should have come from Salford rather than Cardiff. While I understand that it is impossible to be totally reactive in terms of where the programme comes from, there are more than enough pre-planned major events outside London for these things to be scheduled more sensibly. Even without a connecting event, the programme really should have a relevant special report as a lead, rather than try to shoehorn in some local angle.

Also, still not a fan of trying to use the barren and colourless atrium as a presentation space.
[-] The following 6 users Like DTV's post:
  • bkman1990, chevron, chris, Frances, m_in_m, UTVLifer

(04-11-2022, 12:14 AM)DTV Wrote:  
(03-11-2022, 11:34 PM)Omnipresent Wrote:  Tonight's edition of Newsnight is from BBC Wales in Cardiff for the first time in quite a while.

Fundamentally, I don't really have an issue with and think it can be a good idea for the BBC to utilise their other studios across the country for network news output. What I don't understand is that, when they do, they make such little effort for it to make sense with regard to the content - which, if anything, makes it appear more gimmicky.

Tonight, there were no major Welsh stories in the programme, but the lead story was a pre-planned event concerning Manchester. Surely, if the programme had to come from outside London, it should have come from Salford rather than Cardiff. While I understand that it is impossible to be totally reactive in terms of where the programme comes from, there are more than enough pre-planned major events outside London for these things to be scheduled more sensibly. Even without a connecting event, the programme really should have a relevant special report as a lead, rather than try to shoehorn in some local angle.

Also, still not a fan of trying to use the barren and colourless atrium as a presentation space.

I take the point but wonder if the counter argument, that news happens everywhere, and it's a question of demonstrating that the BBC is a truly UK wide organisation, has some merit here. In theory, it should be able to pick up a story from any location and cover it with the same level of depth and breadth. Conversely, the same rubric could be applied. Why, when in London, isn't there a focus on local, London issues? Just a thought but important I think as the BBC tries to counter the argument that it's London centric.