Pres Café
Eurovision Song Contest 2024 - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Programme Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: Eurovision Song Contest 2024 (/showthread.php?tid=485)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49

RE: Eurovision Song Contest 2024 - chinamug - 12-05-2024

(12-05-2024, 12:34 AM)bkman1990 Wrote:  Where do we get access to the details for the public vote for each country? I can't find it on Eurovision's website.

https://eurovisionworld.com/eurovision/2024 

Scroll down the page and you'll find all Jury and Public votes.

RE: Eurovision Song Contest 2024 - agentsquash - 12-05-2024

Olly's performance was far too niche for the majority of the voting audience.

He did okay amongst the Eurofans (who would be more inclined to support him) but I would strongly suspect he'd be a NQ if the UK wasn't Big 5.

RE: Eurovision Song Contest 2024 - Ash101 - 12-05-2024

(12-05-2024, 03:47 PM)agentsquash Wrote:  Olly's performance was far too niche for the majority of the voting audience.

He did okay amongst the Eurofans (who would be more inclined to support him) but I would strongly suspect he'd be a NQ if the UK wasn't Big 5.

I think this is a given… looking at the voting data on the website, we were ranked 19th or lower by basically every country’s televote other than Ireland or Ukraine who both had us as 14th.

RE: Eurovision Song Contest 2024 - Brekkie - 12-05-2024

I think it's fair to say overall pure pop didn't do that well last night and the other acts who pulled a similar tactic to Olly were similarly rewarded too. Just a few years behind the curve once again - not a disgrace by any means but a song and performance that lacked a bit of heart and meaning perhaps compared to those at the top who delivered more than just their staging.

I would like to see a national final reintroduced just so the song is tested in a voting environment before being submitted. Of course that hasn't always worked before but I'd like to think the quality of the entrant might be stronger than a decade ago after the last couple of years.

RE: Eurovision Song Contest 2024 - gottago - 12-05-2024

Olly managed to achieve one thing, the UK's first ever 18th place! Now we only need to come 14th, 20th, 21st and 23rd and we've completed the board!

Another great show last night, Petra's script in particular was just perfect, her postcard bit was great too.

I have to say it was a genuine relief to see it end up between Croatia and Switzerland with Ukraine and Israel out of the running, just for the sake of simplicity for the next contest. By that point I was very happy with either of them winning.

I had assumed the host city would either be Zurich or Geneva but there's actually a surprising number of large indoor arenas across Switzerland so there might be a few bidders. Wherever it goes it's sure to be a hell of an expensive trip for Eurovision fans next year!

It will be interesting to see how long the Dutch situation rattles on for and if they'll even enter next year.

RE: Eurovision Song Contest 2024 - Brekkie - 12-05-2024

(12-05-2024, 05:01 PM)gottago Wrote:  Olly managed to achieve one thing, the UK's first ever 18th place! Now we only need to come 14th, 20th, 21st and 23rd and we've completed the board!

14th, 20th, 21st and 23rd feel achieveable. Big Grin

RE: Eurovision Song Contest 2024 - JMT1985 - 12-05-2024

With the Swiss known for their efficiency, I am sure the 2025 event will equal Sweden's hosting of it this year.

RE: Eurovision Song Contest 2024 - tellyblues - 12-05-2024

(12-05-2024, 04:14 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  I think it's fair to say overall pure pop didn't do that well last night and the other acts who pulled a similar tactic to Olly were similarly rewarded too. Just a few years behind the curve once again - not a disgrace by any means but a song and performance that lacked a bit of heart and meaning perhaps compared to those at the top who delivered more than just their staging.

I would like to see a national final reintroduced just so the song is tested in a voting environment before being submitted. Of course that hasn't always worked before but I'd like to think the quality of the entrant might be stronger than a decade ago after the last couple of years.

If there had been a national final the year after Sam Ryder then the standard would have improved because the chances of gaining something from the contest would have been seen to be better, but now after two dud entries everything is back to normal and Eurovision in the UK is as uncool to artists as it ever was.

RE: Eurovision Song Contest 2024 - agentsquash - 12-05-2024

The problem is we’ve been submitting the same type of songs, and with singers who sound off live.

When we watched it, the first thing said during Dizzy is that the vocals were poor (with more rosy language!)

There’s so much up and coming talent who would benefit from the Eurovision platform, but it needs to be treated right. Olly’s performance was far too aimed at a ‘stereotypical’ Eurovision fan, the only problem being that the contest has expanded massively beyond that.

I don’t think the BBC will drop it now as it’s a great way for them to show their value, and isn’t a big cost drain (especially with the Big 5 slot). But there’s a need to break out of the Radio 2 A list material.

(Or, if they’re going to do that, just send the real deal - we joked that if we sent Harry Styles we’d have the arena sorted for the year after already!)

On the show itself - felt very flat and boring, quite a contrast from Liverpool. Even the break bumpers during the final were cold!

RE: Eurovision Song Contest 2024 - UTVLifer - 12-05-2024

A little BTS piece with Joanna Lumley was featured on Kuenssburg this morning

https://x.com/bbcpolitics/status/1789594774560792777?s=61&t=9PSUu8dUPDOGotmQBtN_ig