Pres Café
The LBC Thread - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: News and Sport Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: The LBC Thread (/showthread.php?tid=113)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

RE: The LBC Thread - Steve in Pudsey - 31-05-2024

(31-05-2024, 01:11 PM)Skygeek Wrote:  Interestingly, I was with Ali on Tuesday night at the moment the news about Iain broke.

I wouldn't want to violate any confidences, but let's just say it was a very amusing conversation!

Well, thanks for that insightful contribution to the discussion.

RE: The LBC Thread - Skygeek - 31-05-2024

(31-05-2024, 01:37 PM)Steve in Pudsey Wrote:  Well, thanks for that insightful contribution to the discussion.

At least it gets it away from the politics, which I know is a no-go around here.

Ali is Iain's most-frequent guest-host, so you can draw your own conclusions as as to what I said to him.

RE: The LBC Thread - Ash101 - 04-06-2024

Iain Dale was back on LBC tonight and just seems to have slotted back into his evening show without any announcement or the like.

RE: The LBC Thread - Stooky Bill - 04-06-2024

(04-06-2024, 12:32 AM)Ash101 Wrote:  Iain Dale was back on LBC tonight and just seems to have slotted back into his evening show without any announcement or the like.
Good thing it was a sudden departure and they hadn't had a chance to fill his slot.

Can't blame him for not mentioning it, can't be easy returning with your tail between your legs like that and everyone knows what happened. Besides he's got far more embarrassing stuff in his past

RE: The LBC Thread - Steve in Pudsey - 04-06-2024

Wonder whether OFCOM will have a view on that. It's probably within the letter of their recent guidance but maybe not the spirit for a withdrawn candidate to be a presenter - particularly of a news adjacent programme - during an election.

RE: The LBC Thread - neonemesis - 04-06-2024

I don't think he was ever actually a candidate. His announcement was that he was standing for selection to be the candidate for Tunbridge Wells but pulled out of the selection process. I presume in those circumstances that the OFCOM guidance would either not apply, or sit in an grey area that LBC is content to occupy.

RE: The LBC Thread - Steve in Pudsey - 04-06-2024

That's my point about spirit vs letter of the rule. Should somebody who has associated themselves with a particular party to the extent of declaring themselves a prospective candidate be hosting that kind of programme through an election period?

Obviously that gets into interesting territory with ex MPs like Ed Balls on GMB.

RE: The LBC Thread - AJB39 - 04-06-2024

(04-06-2024, 12:32 AM)Ash101 Wrote:  Iain Dale was back on LBC tonight and just seems to have slotted back into his evening show without any announcement or the like.

I heard the beginning of his programme last night and he did make reference to his return. He thanked LBC for taking him back. He also sought to reassure listeners that he would continue to present the programme in the fair and impartial manner he says that he has presented the programme in for the past 14 years.

RE: The LBC Thread - Stooky Bill - 04-06-2024

(04-06-2024, 09:52 AM)Steve in Pudsey Wrote:  That's my point about spirit vs letter of the rule. Should somebody who has associated themselves with a particular party to the extent of declaring themselves a prospective candidate be hosting that kind of programme through an election period?

Obviously that gets into interesting territory with ex MPs like Ed Balls on GMB.
Yes, if you go down that particular route then it opens a massive can of worms.

His political affiliation isn't exactly a secret, before LBC he ran for election as a Conservative candidate several times

RE: The LBC Thread - leewilliams - 05-06-2024

(04-06-2024, 09:52 AM)Steve in Pudsey Wrote:  That's my point about spirit vs letter of the rule. Should somebody who has associated themselves with a particular party to the extent of declaring themselves a prospective candidate be hosting that kind of programme through an election period?
Given Iain’s been repeatedly highly critical of the Conservatives - including just before he went off-air to try and stand for them - Ofcom would find it hard to take issue unless he suddenly became a rabid Tory mouthpiece which he’s never been. He’s probably one of the most balanced presenters on the station despite than open affiliation.