Pres Café
BBC/ITV London News - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: News and Sport Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: BBC/ITV London News (/showthread.php?tid=104)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26

RE: BBC/ITV London News - Frances - 20-10-2022

(20-10-2022, 12:34 AM)simon Wrote:  
(19-10-2022, 06:15 PM)Steve in Pudsey Wrote:  Which has no relation to what they are using for the headlines in the Six and Ten.  Staffing a full studio for just the headlines would be bonkers.

Would they need to fully staff a gallery just to do the heads? If London still has its own director, with the level of automation they should be able to run through two simple sequences by themselves. They probably need a floor manager for that time, but you might find that there's someone at a loose end at that time anyway. That way they could pre-record the headlines for B to play out, and it gives the director and presenter a chance to run through sequences before going on air to make sure they work.
I guess it’s pre-recorded just like the previous sport headlines on HD and NC…

RE: BBC/ITV London News - Kojak - 20-10-2022

(18-10-2022, 06:45 PM)London Lite Wrote:  Well that's more on a par with some of the major market US local news sets.

It's about time one of the local news bulletins actually looked big to resemble a global city rather than a provincial looking set.

Of course, ITV once had what was probably the best local news set anywhere in the world:

[Image: 040227_londontonight.jpg]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DbtpA3rlORE 

The new BBC London does look great, though. Hats off to them.

RE: BBC/ITV London News - ALV - 20-10-2022

Multiple observations on the London heads:

- At the start of the regional heads, on One HD, notice that the headline lower third is still in vision over the London presenter for 0.5 sec before animating off; while on the NC, the lower third gets dissapeared "immediately" after the opt to sport heads.

- At the opt in point of the regional heads, the London presenter holded off for a few seconds, allowing the titles be played in full; on NC, the titles is played midway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1LCpCONVbf8 

So I'm pretty sure that the sustaining feed of Studio B now plays the London heads rather than sports heads, and runs the regional heads running order for London. It's definitely not as someone mentioned the London heads and sports heads go out from the same gallery via different engines and TX lines, else both channels would see the titles running in full.

My assumption is that at the TOTH, Studio E or C (whatever gallery that plays the TOTH countdown on the NC) takes Studio B's feed "output on the output", so to allow them cut to the sport heads at the regional opt out point. Then, at some point during the titles, they activate the network switcher and switch the NC's TX to soft-opt into Studio B fully. Perhaps some insider here can correct me on how they updated the workflow for the regional opting.

However I'm still not sure if the NC/Sportsday is still the sustaining feed if regions fails to opt after the national bulletin or it'll be BBC London... I guess we'll have to wait until one of the regions faces technical difficulties in the future...

RE: BBC/ITV London News - Steve in Pudsey - 20-10-2022

(20-10-2022, 12:34 AM)simon Wrote:  
(19-10-2022, 06:15 PM)Steve in Pudsey Wrote:  Which has no relation to what they are using for the headlines in the Six and Ten. Staffing a full studio for just the headlines would be bonkers.

Would they need to fully staff a gallery just to do the heads? If London still has its own director, with the level of automation they should be able to run through two simple sequences by themselves. They probably need a floor manager for that time, but you might find that there's someone at a loose end at that time anyway. That way they could pre-record the headlines for B to play out, and it gives the director and presenter a chance to run through sequences before going on air to make sure they work.

If you were going to pre-record the heads wouldn't you do it in B? I'd have thought the easiest way to do it was like they used to do the news bulletin into Marr, just from a DTL position elsewhere in NBH rather than Salford.

RE: BBC/ITV London News - Renap - 20-10-2022

(20-10-2022, 06:19 AM)Former Member 406 Wrote:  I had assumed that the ultimate plan would be for all remaining BBC One network news bulletins (and therefore all BBC London bulletins too) to eventually move into studio B, even though that may not happen for many months yet.

Do we know whether that's the case?

It seems odd for the current arrangement of literally only the Six & Ten (and the corresponding London bulletins) coming from a different studio than all other bulletins to be the intended permanent arrangement.

I would assume that any full switch would happen when the news channels get merged.

RE: BBC/ITV London News - London Lite - 20-10-2022

The reason why the One is from E is that it's a NC production unlike the two evening bulletins.

That may change in April once the merger completes.

RE: BBC/ITV London News - Steve in Pudsey - 21-10-2022

(20-10-2022, 09:47 AM)ALV Wrote:  Multiple observations on the London heads:

- At the start of the regional heads, on One HD, notice that the headline lower third is still in vision over the London presenter for 0.5 sec before animating off; while on the NC, the lower third gets dissapeared "immediately" after the opt to sport heads.

- At the opt in point of the regional heads, the London presenter holded off for a few seconds, allowing the titles be played in full; on NC, the titles is played midway.

So I'm pretty sure that the sustaining feed of Studio B now plays the London heads rather than sports heads, and runs the regional heads running order for London. It's definitely not as someone mentioned the London heads and sports heads go out from the same gallery via different engines and TX lines, else both channels would see the titles running in full.

My assumption is that at the TOTH, Studio E or C (whatever gallery that plays the TOTH countdown on the NC) takes Studio B's feed "output on the output", so to allow them cut to the sport heads at the regional opt out point. Then, at some point during the titles, they activate the network switcher and switch the NC's TX to soft-opt into Studio B fully. Perhaps some insider here can correct me on how they updated the workflow for the regional opting.

I don't think anything there proves beyond all doubt that Studio B isn't playing out both versions (you could have one event in the running order to cut the news channel away when the opt is called then another - after a brief pause to let Nations and Regions opt cleanly - playing the London opt).

However I can't fault your logic - certainly your video confirms that London is getting to air via Studio B for the headline sequence (which I think is a further argument against the idea that the London headlines come from D, were that the case surely they would have continued to have D opt out?). It would make sense for C or E to handle the NC headline fillers in the way you suggest.

RE: BBC/ITV London News - simon - 22-10-2022

(20-10-2022, 01:28 PM)Steve in Pudsey Wrote:  
(20-10-2022, 12:34 AM)simon Wrote:  Would they need to fully staff a gallery just to do the heads? If London still has its own director, with the level of automation they should be able to run through two simple sequences by themselves. They probably need a floor manager for that time, but you might find that there's someone at a loose end at that time anyway. That way they could pre-record the headlines for B to play out, and it gives the director and presenter a chance to run through sequences before going on air to make sure they work.

If you were going to pre-record the heads wouldn't you do it in B?  I'd have thought the easiest way to do it was like they used to do the news bulletin into Marr, just from a DTL position elsewhere in NBH rather than Salford.

Counterintuitively, I don't think that would make sense.

Remember that the priority of the crew in B is always going to be the national bulletin. London will always take a back seat. This is why I would expect London to get their own director and time in another gallery (probably D) to prepare. The crew in B just won't have time to worry about London on a busy day.

If the plan were to pre-record the heads in B, it would probably work on your average day. But if it were a very busy day - of which we have had many in recent weeks - I'm not sure they would have time to do it in B.

With half an hour to transmission, the director of the national bulletin will want to be solely focused on their programme, and the last thing they will want is to have to spend 5-10 minutes pre-recording the London heads.

If there is a separate director for London it just makes far more sense for them to do it themselves in another studio and leave the national director to focus on their job.

In terms of why they would get B to play the London heads rather than have D opt out - this is speculation but maybe it's to ensure that the London director has plenty of time to get to gallery B. Sometimes they don't get to the mid headlines until after 20 past, and if the London director has to stay in D until that's done, they would really have to high tail it to get down to B in time.

RE: BBC/ITV London News - all new phil - 22-10-2022

Why can’t it just be treated like one hour-long programme? I thought that was the plan?

RE: BBC/ITV London News - Steve in Pudsey - 22-10-2022

Indeed that's what I think is going on. It's a one hour programme with the London heads and coming up from a CSO position to prevent conflicts on the studio floor.