Pres Café
Newsnight - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: News and Sport Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: Newsnight (/showthread.php?tid=107)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31

RE: Newsnight - Reith85 - 08-08-2023

(08-08-2023, 12:01 AM)lookoutwales Wrote:  Used to be how Newsnight traditionally finished up - don't think they've done it for a good few years.

Not sure if it worked properly tonight, either.

Sorry to correct you but it definitely hasn't been "a good few years" since Newsnight ended its editions with a look at the next day's front pages - it has definitely been happening fairly often over the last year or two when I've been watching, albeit not every night. I've found it tends to get cut when the running order overruns, for example. I agree it doesn't work properly though when they do do it: too cursory and the papers don't always appear on screen.

RE: Newsnight - Omnipresent - 08-08-2023

Newsnight has always ended with a look at the next day's front pages, unless they run out of time.

The front pages used to be printed out for the presenter to read, now they are on a tablet. If the last item is a recorded report then the presenter has chance to review them first. If it's a guest interview then the presenter is reading them for the first time as they're read out on air.

Very often the front pages don't appear on screen in the same order as they are read out. Sometimes they are shown together on the wall.

Another recent tweak to Newsnight is they do now invite viewers to send their reckons via WhatsApp which are also read out an air.

RE: Newsnight - Stuart - 09-08-2023

(08-08-2023, 10:26 PM)Omnipresent Wrote:  Another recent tweak to Newsnight is they do now invite viewers to send their reckons via WhatsApp which are also read out an air.
I think they may also take notice of things said elsewhere, such as here. Tongue

Tonight's programme had even more sweeping camera movements making the most of the view through the windows when using the sofa area.

I know it's just background, but it's dynamic and delicious. It doesn't detract from anything. Heart

RE: Newsnight - JamesWorldNews - 12-08-2023

Last night’s programme ended with a rap/hip-hop combo version of the theme, to acknowledge the anniversary of the music genre.

Kirsty Wark was not bedecked in good chains, however, much to the consternation of everyone watching.

RE: Newsnight - msim - 11-09-2023

Another round of cuts perhaps coming to Newsnight. Actual reporting and investigations to be replaced by yet more cheap filler panel discussions.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/newsnight-staff-face-the-axe-as-bbc-tries-to-cut-its-budget-by-5m-55bpz3tll 

RE: Newsnight - aaron_scotland - 11-09-2023

Might as well get Michael Mcintyre to present it then if they want the discussion without the investigations...

RE: Newsnight - Omnipresent - 11-09-2023

One of the good things Victoria Derbyshire has brought to the programme is a focus on the audience rather than Westminster navel gazing.

The last thing BBC News output needs is more panel discussions.

I guess one option is cutting the number of editions by either removing the Friday edition and taking it off air in August - though inevitably if it did that there would be a massive story it misses out on.

RE: Newsnight - Brekkie - 11-09-2023

A real shame - the last thing TV news needs is more panels arguing amongst themselves. Newsnight should be as ring-fence as the BBC1 bulletins and Today seems to be.

RE: Newsnight - DTV - 11-09-2023

Honestly, I'd rather they just axed it outright instead of putting it through the indignity of becoming yet another generically formatted panel-based politics discussion programme. It's already lost most of its foreign news reporting in the last decade or so, getting rid of the policy analysis and investigations gets rid of its remaining USPs and basically renders it purposeless.

Better to take the savings and spend it on something like a reformatted News at Ten. With the proposed changes to the One, they could market the BBC One bulletins as three separate newshours - live and developing news in the UK at One; a summary of the day's national and regional news at Six; an in-depth look at political and international news at Ten. It wouldn't be ideal, but just anything but more blathering on.

RE: Newsnight - Andrew - 11-09-2023

Clips from Newsnight probably don’t go viral enough on social media

If it’s just going to be the same people as on every panel, they might as well just axe it entirely