Pres Café
Newsnight - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: News and Sport Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: Newsnight (/showthread.php?tid=107)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31

RE: Newsnight - Brekkie - 11-09-2023

(11-09-2023, 03:28 PM)Andrew Wrote:  Clips from Newsnight probably don’t go viral enough on social media

That shouldn't be the basis of decision making especially for a long form reporting outlet.   

Sadly though it probably is and the BBC seem to be joining the race to the bottom rather than remaining a cut above the rest.

RE: Newsnight - Alf Stewart - 11-09-2023

(11-09-2023, 02:45 PM)Omnipresent Wrote:  One of the good things Victoria Derbyshire has brought to the programme is a focus on the audience rather than Westminster navel gazing. 

The last thing BBC News output needs is more panel discussions.

I guess one option is cutting the number of editions by either removing the Friday edition and taking it off air in August - though inevitably if it did that there would be a massive story it misses out on.

Especially as it'll be the same handful of panelists who claim their voice is never heard and will bleat on about the same thing they usually do like their needle is stuck in the groove.

RE: Newsnight - Keith - 11-09-2023

(11-09-2023, 01:42 PM)msim Wrote:  Another round of cuts perhaps coming to Newsnight. Actual reporting and investigations to be replaced by yet more cheap filler panel discussions.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/newsnight-staff-face-the-axe-as-bbc-tries-to-cut-its-budget-by-5m-55bpz3tll 
Personally I thinking moving transmission to 10.45 to 11.30pm would help in terms of scheduling.

It would give a cleaner simulcast opt in & out on the news channel. The gap between the Ten finishing and Newsnight starting could then be filled by a sports bulletin or similar. It also gives more flexibility for when the Ten is extended.

As Omnipresent suggested I think cutting the Friday edition would provide a better saving. It's preferable to filling time with panels debating/ arguing.

RE: Newsnight - ConorW2000 - 11-09-2023

(11-09-2023, 06:18 PM)Keith Wrote:  Personally I thinking moving transmission to 10.45 to 11.30pm would help in terms of scheduling.

It would give a cleaner simulcast opt in & out on the news channel. The gap between the Ten finishing and Newsnight starting could then be filled by a sports bulletin or similar. It also gives more flexibility for when the Ten is extended.

As Omnipresent suggested I think cutting the Friday edition would provide a better saving. It's preferable to filling time with panels debating/ arguing.

I agree about cutting it to four days a week, I do think they should consider having it at 10:45pm.

I dont think replacing it with more panels debating and arguing is a great idea, there is something called Question Time which happens every Thursday at the same time.

RE: Newsnight - thePineapple - 11-09-2023

Having read the article, I don't think it really tells us much.

"There are suggestions that the aim is to cut its budget to closer to £3 million" (from £8mn), and that former chairman Sharp thinks it should repackage (irrelevant to main claims anyway) seem to be the only *actual* new information.

An executive said "the restructure washed out lots of costs but it wasn’t enough" - but we know that the BBC needs to save money already.

It quotes a few sources saying something along the lines of "Newsnight was exempt" from cuts to journalist numbers and "if they want to make real savings then that will come from shedding correspondents" but that doesn't mean it's going to happen.

It literally says that the debate idea "has been rumbling for some time". So what's the news then?!

I know there's no smoke without fire etc etc but "speculation" and "talks" that it "could" be changed is just tiptoeing around any sort of meaning, so I'll take this with a pinch of salt for now.

(Famous last words - if this is true it will be a tragedy)

Also - as an aside - I'm not sure it's really valid to point to slumping viewing figures as in 2020, lockdowns increased TV viewing across the board, and also the news went slightly mental...

RE: Newsnight - DTV - 11-09-2023

(11-09-2023, 06:18 PM)Keith Wrote:  As Omnipresent suggested I think cutting the Friday edition would provide a better saving. It's preferable to filling time with panels debating/ arguing.
The problem is, though, that cutting the Friday edition wouldn't save much. You might be reducing the number of editions by 20%, but little of the budget will be tied up in edition-specific costs, with much of it being salaried Newsnight-only on- and off-air staff. Other than a few commissioned reports (although I'm not sure they really do them anymore), the only edition-specific costs are really appearance fees (which, sure, can accumulate, but we're still not talking huge savings). Plus, even if cutting the Friday edition did amount to a 20% saving, they appear to be looking for something more like 60% - that's only coming from a largescale-to-total wipeout of the Newsnight-only production team.

(11-09-2023, 07:59 PM)thePineapple Wrote:  I know there's no smoke without fire etc etc but "speculation" and "talks" that it "could" be changed is just tiptoeing around any sort of meaning, so I'll take this with a pinch of salt for now.
You're optimistic. It's been sort of an open secret for a few years that executives have wanted to either axe or substantially pare back Newsnight - viewing it as expensive, unwatched and past its prime. It was only the existence of Victoria Derbyshire (the programme) that saved it in the last round of cuts; with nothing else left that can plug the gap, I'm not at all surprised they'd take this step. They're probably also looking for some more money to shovel to the news channel, which, as I said, would have to involve cuts to the rest of BBC News.

RE: Newsnight - thePineapple - 11-09-2023

(11-09-2023, 08:37 PM)DTV Wrote:  You're optimistic.

I try my best!  Big Grin

(it's getting quite hard, mind)

RE: Newsnight - Stuart - 13-09-2023

Newsnight seem to have acquired a new 2 seater sofa (sans stretch covers made by someone's Nan), which they have cleverly sawed in half to create two 'chairs'. Was the DFS Sale ending on Sunday?  Tongue

RE: Newsnight - Otis Crump - 14-09-2023

(13-09-2023, 11:24 PM)Stuart Wrote:  Newsnight seem to have acquired a new 2 seater sofa (sans stretch covers made by someone's Nan), which they have cleverly sawed in half to create two 'chairs'. Was the DFS Sale ending on Sunday?  Tongue

The Big Breakfast did something similar in 1997, carving up the large orange sunken sofa into a separate re-covered pink sofa and chair as part of attempts to undo a disastrous revamp.

RE: Newsnight - Omnipresent - 20-09-2023

Another version of what appeared to be the Newsnight green room during tonight's opening sequence with guests pictured chatting around a large table complete with a graphic "Battery Near End" on screen (this didn't appear again on another cutaway shortly afterwards).